Computer's Name?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOL - well - someone had to... I suppose your shutdown wav is:
#Daisy, daisy, give .. me ..... your ........ answer ........ #

But hey, I guess I'm worse - my shut down sound is actually "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

My start up sound is a little cooler, "Ah, Sergeant Pinback calling Bomb #19. Do you read me, bomb?" ~ "Bomb #19 to Sergeant Pinback, I read you. Continue."
OK - not cooler :redface: still geeky - just a wee bit more oscure :rolleyes:
No, MB, it didn't shut down with "Daisy..." but instead of the usual "error beep," it actually said, "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Um - call me paranoid - but is it really sensible to publish your computer names on the internet?! - My pc is named after my husband and his after me - [insert an 'aah' or 'byuk' as approproate]

When you connect to any website, your PC sends information to the server which sends information back. Now, I'm a little rusty on my web technology, but as far as I can remember, it sends information which includes your computer's name, IP, browser name and version and what operating system you're using.

This information is basically public, that is, anyone with the time and effort to put aside to finding it out, could find it out.

If you run a website, you can even get scripts which tell the person all this information about your computer, or even compile it and give statistics to everyone on the website (like how many users are running Windows XP etc.).

Personally, I name all my computers, usually after gods.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hrm... I can't seem to find it. I'll try and better explain.
On 98 there was a jungle theme, and one of the things was a roaring lion. And on my old computer I assigned that to start up, and shut down. When I got XP it didn't have those fancy themes, and I can no longer find that roaring thing in the new XP interface. I'm going to try and switch it over to the classic view to find the sound, (if it exists) if not, then it really isnt a big deal.

Gotcha - no it doesn't - but you can download stuff - I personally wouldn't change my whole theme - I just download the wavs I want and then make a sound theme (as per that MS link I posted).
SimplytheBest Animals sound effect WAV sounds is one page...

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Gotcha - no it doesn't - but you can download stuff - I personally wouldn't change my whole theme - I just download the wavs I want and then make a sound theme (as per that MS link I posted).
SimplytheBest Animals sound effect WAV sounds is one page...
Opened the link.. downloaded the one I wanted... my computer wouldn't play it or recognise it as a theme sound. Oh well.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My work laptop was named by my department. Something like "hc30u852", not that I remember it exactly. My personal laptop is named "amadan", the Gaelic word for "fool".

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When you connect to any website, your PC sends information to the server which sends information back. Now, I'm a little rusty on my web technology, but as far as I can remember, it sends information which includes your computer's name, IP, browser name and version and what operating system you're using.

This information is basically public, that is, anyone with the time and effort to put aside to finding it out, could find it out.

Not necessarily depending on how well you're secured. Some basic remote host info is revealed by say a Web Browser, what is of necessity available is a public IP address of a machine (or router etc) connected to the Public network (gateway), which may or may not be the machine actually making the source request. Machine names, shares, logon details etc will generally only be revealed if a network client (say client for MS) and NetBios is enabled which for a machine connected to the Internet it shouldn't (for the most part).

Generally the OS running on the gateway machine is also public; for example the (Linux) webserver software hosting lpsg.org is : Apache/1.3.37 Unix mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.4.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a. LPSG has been running since 1999 and is approximately the 56,632nd most visited site on the web, 2 above the Hang Seng index website and one below the stirrer (a msg board site about Birmingham).

Of course it is possible to deduce some additional information about the network structure behind the gateway by detailed packet analysis (not that kind of packet) which may be of use, depending on your motivation of course.

pavement

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The MacOS required the computer to be named back in its earliest stages and still does; I'm not sure when Microsoft OS started, but I'm guessing that it began with the use of the GUI. So no, you aren't a loser TK - every computer wants a name when you first set it up.Not paranoia, MB... but I don't think that is something that can really be traced easily.

Of course, when I do an initial setup, I don't fill in a lot of the information that they want - name, address, phone number, email address, that sort of stuff. They are required fields, but I put in generic info. As far as my computer knows, I live in a city named "city."

I'm surprised I'm the first one to admit this, but my old computer was named HAL.
Not surprisingly HAL was the name of Arthur C Clarke's 1st computer
And maybe not surprisingly it was the 1st PC

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not surprisingly HAL was the name of Arthur C Clarke's 1st computer
And maybe not surprisingly it was the 1st PC
And although he always claimed it was coincidence, I believe the urban legend about that name - HAL = IBM (the next alphabetical characters... H --> I, A --> B, L --> M)