Conan O' Brien *

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_bigbanana, Jan 21, 2010.

?

Conan v. Leno

Poll closed Jan 28, 2010.
  1. Do you think Conan should stay as Late-Night host?

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Do you think Leno should get his Late-Night spot back?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Do you think Conan is being fairly untreated by NBC?

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Do you think Conan should continue to host elsewhere?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Do you think Leno will be affected by this negatively?

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Who do you think is more entertaining: Conan or Leno?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. B_bigbanana

B_bigbanana New Member

*Most of us on here, and America, know about the 'war' going on over at late night on NBC. I'm asking if you care, but even more so if you think there is something askew with the heads of all media at NBC, maybe even the other networks. Those very rich executives that seem to make every decision for how we, the majority, should be 'entertained'. And no one knows who these people are...as people. Do they even care about other people?? Conan has said that he is being ousted for not putting up ratings that satisfied the executives. BUT, it has only been 7 months! Not even a baby is born in 7 months! Good things, most of the time, take time. Yes, Leno's rating were better (not after this 'war' clears), BUT only slightly better. Not enough to obscure late night tradition. Some would say why do we even need tradition? We need to keep things fresh. Tradition, in general, is a staple for most people in an unpredictable society. Tradition is kind of like a rest & relaxation thing. We all have traditions that we hold sacred. Whether you like that tradition or not, other people do. in fact, it's tradition because more people like it than few. It's a tradition because it works. Why replace something that doesn't need to be replaced; or for that matter broken.
    Anyways, Conan feels he is being ousted out of this esteemed spot and Leno wants the esteemed spot back; even though his ratings were fine at 10pm. Leno even approved of the contract to give over the tonight show to Conan 4 years ago. Let's put aside the 'who is funnier' argument and really say who is more entertaining. Conan is; hands down. In terms of comedy he is always trying something new to keep us entertained even if it doesn't work. That means also that Conan tends to be more creative. Again, Conan seems to understand why he has and enjoys his job: people. Yet, the few big-wigs at NBC are making the call for so many people. Most people that don't even watch Conan know something smells foul behind this whole debacle. If we as the people let this stand who knows what else these big-wigs will take away just because they don't like it, and in their heads screw everyone else.
    *I apologize for the poll being only one answer. That was not my intention. Feel free to start a new one.

#1 B_bigbanana, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

The poll needs to be multiple choice, because I feel I can honestly vote on almost all of them. I think that he should have stayed on the as the Tonight Show host. I do think that he is being treated unfairly in all of this, and I think that if NBC is going to pull this crap for a second time in less than a decade that he needs to take his ball and run to a network that will treat him better.

Leno can joke that Conan's 7 months to produce ratings was more than the four months he received. But what he's failed to own up to was that it was his own ratings tanking on his primetime show that caused all of this. It was NBC affiliates that were calling for his head and threatening the network with dropping his program and running their own. It was his ratings that caused hundreds of stations to lose millions of dollars when their viewers were changing the channel to avoid his garbage.

I blame NBC for trying to keep him around and happy when they gave him his own show instead of releasing him to pursue another job. It's well known that NBC screwed Letterman back in '92, and it's also known that Carson wanted Letterman all along to take the reigns of Tonight Show. Looks like anyone that hosts Late Night is destined to get screwed, so look out Jimmy!

As far as a person, I always liked Jay. But as a comedian, no way. The only thing funny about his show was when he would do headlines. I always found Dave and Conan to be funnier and edgier, must have been an East Coast type of thing. Conan came from SNL and The Simpsons, both of which he wrote for in what many would consider their heydays. What has Jay done?

It's been a weird feeling for me following this story, and especially seeing the CoCo rally story and videos. In a way it made me glad that he stuck to his guns and is leaving NBC. After seeing how loyal his fans have been and the support they've shown him, I feel like NBC doesn't deserve him. I've been a Conan fan for many many years, and I'll watch his show wherever he goes. MY only regret being that I had to miss out on seeing him when I missed a chance to go to LA a few months ago. Luckily my girlfriend got to go see him and experience it. Little did we both know that we would never have the opportunity again.

My question is this. When Jay's "finally" done, whether it be years from now, or even a few months if he can withstand the backlash that he's going to get...who's next? Who will NBC get to replace him? Fallon? I think anybody that becomes the next contender better watch their backs. It's happened twice now, who's to say it won't happen again?

3. biggunlover

biggunlover Member

Keep in mind that I didn't go back and Google what I'm fixing to say to check for dates/years but I seem to remember that Jay Leno was talking about leaving the Tonight Show for reirement or something like that. I don't think I'm dreaming this. It was the network that didn't want to loose him and opted to put him at 10pm est. Now it's that due to his dismal ratings that he's OK with going back to his old time slot even if it's Conan's slot right now. NBC isn't doing very well in the entertainment or the news slots lately!!!!!!

4. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

It's been spun around by so many people. Some say he was ready to retire, others say he was forced to by NBC so they could bring in Conan to go after the younger demographic. Either way, Jay did say on air that he was ready to step down five years ago and said he would have no one else but Conan to take over his job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNDodhhOEU

5. B_bigbanana

B_bigbanana New Member

Very true and this is further proving my point on how whomever is at the top of NBC does not know what the hell they are doing. Especially if Fallon, who has never been funny takes Conan's spot. Fallon has the lowest ratings out of all late-night shows on all the networks. But besides Fallon NBC is really losing it's grip on reality. No surprise then coming from people whose jobs are rooted in fantasy/ entertainment business.

6. Onslow

Gold Member

I selected the last choice:::: Who do you think is more entertaing Conan or Leno?

Let me decide is Conan more entertaining or is Leno more entertaining? I'd narrow it down but your poll put them both in the same spot which tells that You must work for NBC.

7. dreamer20

Gold Member

:lmao:

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    He made a mistake man. Which is allowed.

That being said, I'd answer neither, but they are both more entertaining than Letterman.

9. Onslow

Gold Member

Come down from your horse, the air up there will make you dizzy and likely to fall off:tongue:

I know he made a mistake, that was the point. It made the poll impossible to answer. Mistakes in titles or threads? Not a problem babe, Mistakes in a poll? Yeah that can be a downer.

Now could someone get me a ladder to get down from this horse I'm on?

{and you missed my joke entirely}

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was a small joke, but actually I didn't miss it. Even from this height.

Draft saved Draft deleted