Concept: Last 15 days or 15 posts

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm getting a little frustrated here. I'm getting the idea that anybody can jump into a thread, post their 2 cents and not even look at the course of the discussion. Thus their post is either a rehash of points that have already been made OR they miss the point of a thread entirely. (I'm talking Chocolate Jesus here but I don't want to derail those who are on track in that conversation.)

I'm a member over on Television Without Pity and they have a rule of 15 pages, or 15 posts or 15 days or something like that. It's purpose is that if you are going to participate in a thread, you should go back and read the relevant comments in that thread first before you just start posting your thoughts. It's to ensure that there are new insights and perspectives to be shared and added and not just a bunch of repetition from different people.

Should a person be responsible enough to read the last 15 posts or the last 15 days worth of posts before they can contribute to the thread OR is it acceptable for people to dropout of the internet sky, make their point independent of everyone else who is active in the conversation and then return to the nether world from where they came?

Thoughts?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Knowing of this tendency on our board, don't overlook the possibility that some people (moi, for example) make be purposely making summative points or highlights along the way to try to catch the attention of those who are not going to read the long posts with multiple points buried in them.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Although it can be annoying when a person tosses in their twaddle apropos of nothing; it happens. There are times when it appears the response is not related to anything; when, in actuality it refers and/or relates to what another person posted. It's one of the joys--and horrors of discussion forums. Discussions take various turns depending on who is at the writers wheel and what their thoughts are and which preceding post they are responding to.

A while back (more than a year at least), I made the mistake of following your directions--I read through several pages of posts before I posted. I then posted related to the topic which was shown in the title. The topic had veered off into another direction and nobody wanted to discuss the opening posters subject. I was told off and attacked by several people--and all because I stayed on topic--the original topic.

What it comes down to is this: Even if a person does read through all the preceding posts they are in no way required to stay on topic and short of banning all offenders (leaving a dead board) there's not a whole heck of a lot which can--or should be done about it. Once you know who will not read all the posts (which, by the way, in cases where there are 300 responses is rather absurd especially if you wish to respond to a dozen different threads all currently containing several posts), you can then casually scroll by any of their posts.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm getting a little frustrated here.

Thoughts?

I've posted this before:

The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is constant, but nowadays the illiterates can read and write. Alberto Moravia

I have read the thread you mentioned. Well, up until yesterday. Reading it did not make me want to post. This is because all the important points had been made (including those by yourself which delighted me). There are annoying posts there, I agree.

Quite why people feel that they have something of value to add is sometimes is beyond me, but then some people would say my concern for others is only outweighed by my arrogance.

Actually I would like to see the work myself, and generally advocate vigorously against censorship. Crucifixion scenes are very interesting for lots of reasons, and I have studied them for years.

One day I am getting a life-size cross made with leather wrist thongs (no nails), so that I can feel what it might be like. I imagine I would find it to be rather relaxing, I'd like to experience meditating with my body arranged in that way. I might need to recruit some help in case I get stuck though, LOL.

Now what can we do to relieve that frustration? Did someone say fleshpile recently?

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm getting a little frustrated here. I'm getting the idea that anybody can jump into a thread, post their 2 cents and not even look at the course of the discussion.

True enough. Anybody can. What's even worse, there's no guarantee that anyone will come back to read your devasting riposte to his silly-ass post. All that effort wasted. When a thread gets too dumb or annoying or frivolous I tend to stop reading it, and I suspect that some others do too. There's no way to control that.

Thus their post is either a rehash of points that have already been made OR they miss the point of a thread entirely.

Almost everything here is a rehash of points already made. Even worse, far too many are points which weren't much worth making in the first place. We don't have any Post Police to weed that stuff out. Good thing too.

(I'm talking Chocolate Jesus here but I don't want to derail those who are on track in that conversation.)

What does "on track" mean? That it's following the track you think it should follow? If not you, who?

I'm a member over on Television Without Pity and they have a rule of 15 pages, or 15 posts or 15 days or something like that. It's purpose is that if you are going to participate in a thread, you should go back and read the relevant comments in that thread first before you just start posting your thoughts. It's to ensure that there are new insights and perspectives to be shared and added and not just a bunch of repetition from different people.

And they enforce this, how?

If it's the honor system, the concept could be extended with benefit to all, or at least most. To be sure that something worthwhile gets posted, and all the dross is skipped, you could tighten up the qualifications to post. Nobody should post in a topic touching on a scientific question - global warming, perhaps - without some technical qualifications. At least one degree from an accredited university in a relevant field might be a sensible minimal qualification. Or perhaps a decade or two of measurements he's performed himself of objective phenomena, like, say, sea levels. Nobody should post in a rant thread unless he has a letter from a licensed physician asserting that he is making at least a good-faith effort to stay on his anti-psychotic medications. Blah blah.

And just plain sense could be required. Nobody should start one of those "am I big?" threads, ever. Etc.

Should a person be responsible enough to read the last 15 posts or the last 15 days worth of posts before they can contribute to the thread OR is it acceptable for people to dropout of the internet sky, make their point independent of everyone else who is active in the conversation and then return to the nether world from where they came?

I'm afraid it is acceptable. It wouldn't be LPSG if it wasn't an almost-anything-goes type of place.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Click post twice, voila, two posts.

Oops, that wasn't on topic, was it?

Just like in life you'll find people you want to converse with and others you wish would keep their traps shut. At least some of the off topic stuff is good for comic relief.

Did I hear someone say fleshpile?

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It wouldn't be LPSG if it wasn't an almost-anything-goes type of place.[/quote]

Just to clarify, I am not in favour of censorship in art, or on here. This does place the responsibility on everyone to be responsible for saying the truth. If that means expressing an opinion that shit is shite then so be it. We should all do that as part of our collective responsibility.

That said, I like the ignore function here. And I am sure that more than a few people have been surprised that I have put them on ignore before they have ever sent me a message. I like to be proactive sometimes.

In my view there is no point in having a rule if you aren't going to police it, and if you give the policing role to a few, then the majority can easily lose their sense of responsibility.

In general the balance here is about right, although I reserve the right to be a bit pissed off at times.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Did I hear someone say fleshpile?[/quote]

Enough talking. Would it be too forward if I started by tonguing your ass?:wink:

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Name that tune: Ooo, baby baby with your baby blue eyes... That be the tune of the hum job! That'll do it man.

Gillette is still here, I hope. Can you say "Three-way?"

I could if that stunning cock of yours wasn't gagging me :redface:

{starts to think about your ankles on my shoulders}

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
It's always annoyed me whenever someone says "I'm not gonna read all 15 pages, but..." I think if you'd like to participate in a thread, you should at least have the decency to read what others have said, first.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm getting a little frustrated here. I'm getting the idea that anybody can jump into a thread, post their 2 cents and not even look at the course of the discussion.

It's very endearing that you still want to believe that stupid people might gain a modicum of sense when they come online. Trust me, dumb is forever. :rolleyes:

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And just plain sense could be required. Nobody should start one of those "am I big?" threads, ever. Etc.
I'm with you on this,all those threads should have 0 replies.They must be particularly annoying to you big d. :biggrin1: