CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE and the Constitutional Rights for Pursuit of Happiness

motoramic

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
If we legalize gay marriage, why can't 2 women and a man get marry or why can't a brother and sister get marry? And why does marriage have to be in 2? There are plenty of cultures where men have many wives and perhaps less common women with many husbands. There are marriages between minors and adults and between 2 minors! Is there is an age limit needs to be concern? Even if UNION have all the rights and benefits of a marriage, it wouldn't be the same concept as a marriage, correct? Where is the limit if WE NEED TO BROADEN THE CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE?

Last edited:

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not sure why it would matter to couple a what kind of marriage couple b has.
Marriage is a personal choice and dependent on those in the marriage, and how they view marriage.
Gay relationships are as stable as straight and can be as long term. We know that by now.
Where is it written that only straight relationships matter .

In the bible? Maybe. But this country is based on separation of church and state.
When is the last time you were not allowed into intensive care to see your wife, or husband of 20 years?
If you are not legally married, it can happen. No matter how long you've been together.

motoramic

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm not sure why it would matter to couple a what kind of marriage couple b has.
Marriage is a personal choice and dependent on those in the marriage, and how they view marriage.
Gay relationships are as stable as straight and can be as long term. We know that by now.
Where is it written that only straight relationships matter .

In the bible? Maybe. But this country is based on separation of church and state.
When is the last time you were not allowed into intensive care to see your wife, or husband of 20 years?
If you are not legally married, it can happen. No matter how long you've been together.

I am not just talking about legalizing gay marriage but what about other marriage setups which were praticed or is still practicing in other part of the world. Shouldn't they have the same legality as a "traditional" marriage? So my question again is... where is the limit if we need to broaden the concept of marriage?

Last edited:

tamati

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well sister /brother/ cousin marrige should remain illegal for genetic reasons, other than that I see no problem with 3 way (or more) marriges.

Op whats your concern exactly? What bugs you about letting marrige evolve with our culture?

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The limits are designed by prevailing social norms and social institutions. Some people will say that the norms go too far, while others will say they don't go far enough. When one side of the scale greatly outweighs the other, the scales tip and the norms may be changed in social codes such as law and religious thought - unless, of course, you have powerful institutions that can add weight to either side of the scale (such as wealthy corporations, other countries, courts, dictators, politicians with veto powers, popes, and so on).

Whether it is about marriage equality (do remember that only animals, not social constructions like marriage, can be gay, which renders "gay marriage" a rather silly term), abortion, slavery, women wearing pants, men wearing speedos, language use, or many other issues, them's the breaks.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Before this thread devolves as it is apt to do, from an American perspective, there is good cause for gay marriage to be legalized and not those between multiple partners: tbreesomes, foursomes, etc. are not protected classes under the constitution. No one has the right to marry multiple partners simply because they love several people. Additionally - since it is also used as a talking point among opponents of same sex marriage - nobody has a right to marry an animal and those who wish to are not a protected class. Homosexuals do constitute a protected class. Their status is, based on the evidence, innate and their attraction out of their control. Those who wish to practice polygamy do not possess an innate attraction to groups. Similarly I have yet to see any evidence that anyone has an innate need to intimately share his/her life with an animal.

These arguments, including that of the op are merely red herrings.

Last edited:

D_Jacqueline_Boozann

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Church and the State are involved....and as long as The Church has a powerful influence over the lives of its congregants, and they do vote, gay marriage can be overturned in a constitutional amendment.

However, the purpose of marriage is, according to The Church, between one man and one woman for the sole purpose of procreation, period.

If the Republicans get in office and most of them are so-called religious zealots, Mormons, et al., gay marriages will be overturned by the voters.

Jake212guy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here here, monel. The positives of gay marriage (many) far outweigh the negatives (none). And what I'm talking about is not personal feelings (translate to bigotese as morals and values). It's about society, economy and just plain being civilized.

However, the purpose of marriage is, according to The Church, between one man and one woman for the sole purpose of procreation, period.

My father and stepmother have never had children together. So their marriage is invalid in the eyes of God?!

Last edited:

motoramic

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Well sister /brother/ cousin marrige should remain illegal for genetic reasons, other than that I see no problem with 3 way (or more) marriges.

Op whats your concern exactly? What bugs you about letting marrige evolve with our culture?

If your case, marriages between sister/brother/ cousing aren't allow. What about adult-minor marriages or between two minors? I believe it's still praticing in other part of the world. Anyway, we all know where anti-gay marriage draw the line. I just curious where would pro-gay marriage draw the line in marriage and why?

Last edited:

D_Dick_S_Lapp

Account Disabled
Media
If we legalize gay marriage, why can't 2 women and a man get marry or why can't a brother and sister get marry? And why does marriage have to be in 2? There are plenty of cultures where men have many wives and perhaps less common women with many husbands. There are marriages between minors and adults and between 2 minors! Is there is an age limit needs to be concern? Even if UNION have all the rights and benefits of a marriage, it wouldn't be the same concept as a marriage, correct? Where is the limit if WE NEED TO BROADEN THE CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE?

Wait umm...aren't you gay? Or at least 80% gay? Is this like a self loathing thing?

D_Sal_Manilla

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Look in my opinion, once the gay community stops making a spectacle of itself; they will not be given equal rights.

lets face it, some gay people really need to knock it down a bit. I'm gay and I don't even go to the pride parade because I feel uncomfortable. Like really a half naked man with feather wings will not be taken seriously. I'm not saying that you have to be ashamed of who you are but some people really don't need to see how proud you are of being gay.

best example i can give is what happened with my mother.

she was very homophobic and went ape shit when I told her i was gay. She thought that i would start wearing make up and dresses. but she was wrong and I didnt shove my "gayness" in her face. now years later she has come to accept most gay men. knowing that not all are the same. and i believe this too would be the case with majority of people.

the issue here id not Marriage or religion. Its homophobia and stereotypes.
the united states got over interracial marriage, because they saw that black people where not animals like that believed they where. The where people just like everyone else.

African Americans got their civil right because they did marches and fought legally to get their rights. Not by proving stereotypes.

And lets not go over board by getting married with a dog or cow. Cause that just sick.
Getting married with relatives will give off bad offspring and its also sick.
and i personally don't believe in polygamy because I've seen to many documentaries that end tragically.

Also just realize that there is no separation of church and state in this country. The pledge of allegiance has the word god in it. its in our money, and most schools in the mid west make prayer in school mandatory and unless the president is a christian he will not be elected. JFK just got lucky.

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not just talking about legalizing gay marriage but what about other marriage setups which were praticed or is still practicing in other part of the world. Shouldn't they have the same legality as a "traditional" marriage? So my question again is... where is the limit if we need to broaden the concept of marriage?

Why does it matter? But if so, then draw that line at 2 people, gay or straight.
Show me 3 somes that have lasted 20,40 years. Other than religious based,of any country.
We have many couples together for decades who are gay. Do you really know anyone who is gay or lesbian who've been in long term relationship and known of the hardships they faced. Yes, they can file legal papers. Sure.

It's simple compassion. I see a lot of sadness as a nurse. Why create more.
Its hard for me to understand how or why people have enough time and energy to worry about who's married to whom. Who loves who. I just can't see how that affects me or my marriage. Does not devalue it.

Careful when you drive to work tomorrow, might hit a simi truck and ....oh well.
Then where will your thoughts be?
Do you see my point? At least from where I'm sitting.

motoramic

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Wait umm...aren't you gay? Or at least 80% gay? Is this like a self loathing thing?

No! Just wondering how does gay marriage supporter approach this. If pro-gay marriage supporters broaden the traditional concept of marriage by saying it's not just for the opposite sex, where would they draw the line since there are other kinds of marriages that does exists in other parts of the world. That's the arguments I hear from anti-gay marriage. Wanted to get some feedback, that's all and pass it along to people I know...