CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE and the Constitutional Rights for Pursuit of Happiness

hungteen19921992

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Since the foundation of marriage is already failing (with divorce rates at something like 50% or so) I really believe it's becoming a tradition of the past. I really don't understand why in current day society people still feel the need to partake in a (fundamentally religious) tradition, and why such stigmas are put on people who simply live together and aren't "officially" together.

B_Craiggers

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Check out the polling on this issue. But specifically, check out the breakout of support for gay marriage by age bracket.

For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage

For adults ages 18-34, 70% of respondents think that gay marriage should be legal.

Amending the national constitution requires only 2/3 majority (67%).

This is a battle that's already been won (or lost, depending which side you're on). It's just a matter of how much time it takes to clear the battlefield.

What really drives me nuts about this same thing... the support by age bracket... is that you can really see how the resistance is coming from the people with silver hair. Support from people ages 55 and over is only at 40% (and the higher you go in age, the lower support for gay marriage becomes).

These selfish fucks have, for the most part, already done the marriage thing.. Who can or can't get married isn't something that directly affects most of them, but god do they ever ride their fuckin hover-rounds out to the polls to vote against it.

These same selfish fucks who are on retirement start screaming bloody murder whenever someone talks about cutting back on social security. They're perfectly fuckin happy to have the 18-34 crowd continue to pay taxes to pay for the lifestyle of the elderly, but they can't return the favor and let the 18-34 crowd marry who they want to marry.

Median age of 1st marriage is 28 for men and 26 for women. Median age at 2nd marriage is still only 34 for men and 32 for women. The same people who are getting married today are overwhelmingly in support of gay marriage.

God bless my Grandma at age 90 for actually supporting gay marriage, because most of the "greatest generation" are a bunch of goddamn selfish pricks. Enjoy the share of my paycheck you fucking dementia-ridden crones and thanks for doing your part to slow social progress.

Iorek

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If we legalize gay marriage, why can't 2 women and a man get marry or why can't a brother and sister get marry? And why does marriage have to be in 2? There are plenty of cultures where men have many wives and perhaps less common women with many husbands. There are marriages between minors and adults and between 2 minors! Is there is an age limit needs to be concern? Even if UNION have all the rights and benefits of a marriage, it wouldn't be the same concept as a marriage, correct? Where is the limit if WE NEED TO BROADEN THE CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE?

I think you got the Constitution mixed up with the Declaration.

hrdhatdad

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Isn't the whole concept of marriage somewhat obsolete at this point in time? I think american's or rather divorce turned it into a joke 20 years ago.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In some states all you need to do to be married is (1) be over 17 years old, (2) agree to be in a marriage relationship, and (3) hold yourself out as being married. That's it. No ceremony. No license. And NO WARNING! People who are together in a common law marriage have to get a divorce to split up, and they are considered married until the divorce is final.

Just more examples of flux and rigidity in the concept.

tamati

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
In some states all you need to do to be married is (1) be over 17 years old, (2) agree to be in a marriage relationship, and (3) hold yourself out as being married. That's it. No ceremony. No license. And NO WARNING! People who are together in a common law marriage have to get a divorce to split up, and they are considered married until the divorce is final.

Just more examples of flux and rigidity in the concept.

interesting.
do those people in common law marriage get the same benefits (tax, health , inadvertence ect) as a man and a woman do with an actual marriage license?

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Depends on what state you reside in, what the laws are re: marriage in the USA. So more than fifty different standards, in one nation alone. OP is really digging at a can of worms and has not yet even decided on whether we should talk social definition or legal definition.