Condom Breakage

rainfletcher: Another thread made me think of this. Has anyone actually broke a condom during sex before? I keep hearing about it, but I've never known anyone that I would actually believe broke one. A couple guys I know have claimed they broke it, but I think they were BSing me. I had a girlfriend say her ex broke the condom(hence, the little one), but I'm not so sure about that, either.

So, anyone actually have this happen?

mindseye: Eh, once -- but I was with a guitarist with long nails, and I'm thinking that he must have nicked it getting it on. Even when I have my PA in, I don't tend to break them otherwise.

jdoe86

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I can say I have broken a few condoms. I would say maybe 4 out of a few hundred. The first time I didn't even know it broke. I pulled out and saw part of it hanging from my penis.. I freaked. This is when I was married and we were using it as a form of birth control. The last time I broke one was a few years ago, but since I started using XLs, I haven't had that problem.

rainfletcher: As follow up:

Geo - do you think your experiences with breakage was due to your size?

Do bigger dicks tend to break condoms more often? Um..yeah probably, but had to ask.

I had heard, also, that condoms that sit to long in the wallet tend to break more often, also?

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Condom breakage is more likely if any of the following occur:

1) The condom is old, has been stored where it is too hot, or has been mashed up in your wallet or pocket.

2) The wrong type of lube is used.

3) You get air trapped inside the condom.

4) If the condom is the wrong size. Surprisingly, a condom may break if it is too big for the penis!

The first is obvious, so store condoms correctly, and look at the expiration dates.

The wrong lube will cause latex to deteriorate. Surprisingly, many of the lubes sold specifically for sexual purposes are not compatible with condoms. Make sure the lube says it is condom compatible, or don't use it. Also be aware of what your partner might have been playing with earlier. I've had condoms mysteriously vanish, except for the rubber ring at the base, then been told by the bottom that he had been playing with a dildo using crisco as lube before I fucked him.

Condoms are more likely to break if the rubber folds back over itself in use, and there is rubber-on-rubber friction. This is why it is important to squeeze any air out of the tip. If the tip has a big air bubble in it, and is loose and baggy, the rubber may fold up, and is likely to tear. Similarly, if the condom is too big and loose, this may happen as well. Of course, if the condom is too small, and is stretched thin, and you fuck hard, it may break, too. But, I've seen guys with small dicks have condoms break, more often than I have had trouble (I'm about wrist-thick and pound hard) and it seems to be because the condom is too loose, and gets wrinkled up.