Condom Size study

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigsam, Feb 8, 2005.

1. bigsam

bigsam Member

So I saw this link today and decided to check it out. The industry (or someone in it anyway) is trying to do a study to cater to people with different needs in condom size.

If you want to lend some important data to the study or just want some free condoms (they send you free ones for the study and some are available as compensation if completed) give it a look see.

https://www.indiana.edu/~condoms/

I think its in corrolation with or being sponsored by They Fit...as there is a they fit measuring kit in the study package.

Hope some people are interested!

2. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll do it tomorrow, I'm about to go nighty night.

3. Imported

Gold Member

porksword: Ok, I signed up for it, and I have to say that the first page made it look like too much work, but it isn't. It sounds like they did a good job setting this up to make it easy for us.

They want us to do it and there are incentives for completing the program. Check it out.

This is an interesting opportunity for us. Condoms that are built for us are never quite right, because we are such a small part of the community. Today (interestingly enough) I went to buy condoms, only to find dust on the top of the carton, and this was at a major store. They must have been there for a long time.

I, for one, would like to see (and I know there is no chance of it happening) some of the specialty condoms like Trojan's twisted pleasure or something like that for us thicker guys. Once you get to large they become lame, and above that the only thing exciting is the name.

4. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just filled out the requested information. I am looking forward to being a part of this study.

Here is a great opportunity to share valuable information about condom usage and fitting information to resolve the issues that so many of us have posted about in the past.

5. bigsam

bigsam Member

This whole thing kind of makes me think, since I (and anyone else who wants to) may be having direct influence on the way condoms are made in the future.

What would you want in a perfect condom???

I for one get frustrated sometimes that there is nothing particularly cool about the large condoms, they're all pretty normal. They have those warming magnums, but no ribs or bumps or anything.

Anybody else?

6. bigsam

bigsam Member

I just recently recieved my study condoms for this study (it is indeed legit for anyone that was doubting...came postmarked from the medical department of the U of Indiana) and I am amazingly impressed by the They Fit condoms they sent. They are such an increadible difference over the Magnum XL's I usually use it isn't even a comparison. I am just nonplussed that I managed to get 6 boxes of magnums at only 50 c a condom and don't know if I can bring myself to buy them again. Luckily if I complete the study I'm getting 6 dozen they fits for free!

Has anybody else participated?

Btw...I am not affiliated with this study in case anybody was wondering.

7. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

Hello Bigsam-

I found that I am ineligible because I am not in the U.S. Doesn’t bother me much as the Magnum XLs seem to fit pretty good (at least they fit the best out of anything I have found.) Anyhow, out of curiosity did the condoms that they sent have a brand name on them? (I reviewed their application pages and it says that the condoms they will send are FDA approved; which makes me think that they must be available commercially.) If they are something you can buy I suspect that there may be a few members wanting to give them a whirl.

Thanks.

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

They'll have a specially-supplied shipment from the manufacturers without the brand names on them.

That way the group that gets the placebos won't know they're using fake condoms. -_-

9. trance604

trance604 Member

Albums:
    Sorry, You do not meet the criteria for this study

ah well, i tried for ya!

10. bigsam

bigsam Member

The brand I got were quite clearly "They Fit" condoms...presumably the control for the study are some other type. I'm guessing that I'll get those as my second batch of 6...I'll see what the difference is.

11. Donk

Donk New Member

"They Fit" condoms are commercially available from www.condomania.com. And I highly recommend them!

12. Satsfakshun

Satsfakshun Member

Hey buddy, that's IU, as in Indiana University. THE Indiana University... U of I is University of Illinois and that's a very different animal, and very much lower down the evolutionary scale.

13. Satsfakshun

Satsfakshun Member

At IU they did the famous Crest Tests in the 50's/60's. As a student in the 80's I was in on a test of tartar control toothpaste and got free dental care/supplies for three years. At the Psych department, where BF Skinner once taught, I got to do a study where they got us smashed on vodka, also free. But they never did give us 6 dozen condoms... The Crest tests paid for a lot on campus, including a new dental school. Wonder if a condom manufacturer is giving bucks to IU's Kinsey Institute...

14. bigsam

bigsam Member

Dont' know what department is running the study, but my package was postmarked from a doctor, which helped set me at ease. I was not aware that IU had the kinsey institute and that is a bit intriguing.

I also discovered that They fit while MUCH thinner and more comfortable are not necessarily perfect for me as I am thinner at the base than the middle and they don't taper as much. I think this is only an issue if I'm drunk and not completely hard...

15. nacard01

nacard01 Member

Albums:
    I considered taking part in this but it seemed to be a little bit of a waste of time at least for me.

I order my condoms from condomania.com

I can't remember the last time I walked into Wal-mart and bought condoms, but its been at least 6 or 7 years.

Nate

16. Imported

Gold Member

NikkiSixx: I'm taking part in it...but I got Viva blue-dot condoms...

17. Donk

Donk New Member

Those are the "They Fit" condoms. They are manufactured by the same company, and, for some reason, the They Fit condoms come in packets marked "Viva" instead of "They Fit."

18. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just completed the first six condoms which were the They Fit "Blue Dot."

I am anxious to receive the second six condoms to ascertain how they perform.

I, also was relieved to receive the package from The Doctor. I E-Mailed him one time with a problem I was having with the reporting system. Had a very quick response. I am glad that I signed up for this study. I feel good about doing something interesting, and hopefully helpful for everyone at LPSG.

19. bigsam

bigsam Member

Its just occuring to me how really probing (and potentially useful demographically) some of the survey questions are.

For those not participating...once its done they'll probably have all sorts of data on where people are having sex, how often people are having sex, with whom, their condom use habits, habits of other forms of birth control of their partners, data on whether or not bleeding or discomfort is caused by people (and could correlate that to penis size). The ammount of information they're garnering is staggering.

I'm not sure whether or not they are interested in anything past the condom info...but this could truly shape trends on sexual habits today. I"m not too familiar with the original kinsey study...but this sounds a whole lot like what I understand it was.

Plus...some did mention that the Kinsey institute is at the IU

Theories?

20. ericbear

Gold Member

Albums:
    Today I received my second batch of test condoms. The first condoms they sent me were Viva (They Fit) individually sized condoms, size U22. This is the condom I regularly use, having switched to these from Magnum XLs as soon as the They Fit condoms came on the market. So, of course I reported satisfactory experiences using the first batch of test condoms, since they were my preferred brand and size.

But, the second batch are little tiny things, also manufactured by Viva! I guess they are "regular" or "standard" size condoms. I'm not really sure, since I've been using large or larger condoms for so long, that I don't really remember what a regular condom looks like, other than that I had a lot of trouble using them. I guess the object of the second batch is to compare experiences with the first batch, to see if the individually sized condoms actually do score higher in preference than standard ones. For the sake of the study, I guess I will actually have to try using one of these, so I can be honest when I report that it isn't going to work for me. One would have thought that it would have been a more meaningful comparison to have provided me with some other large condom for the second batch, since they knew I required one of the bigger They Fit sizes.

Draft saved Draft deleted