Condom Size study

dickbulge

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by bigsam@Feb 27 2005, 11:28 PM
Its just occuring to me how really probing (and potentially useful demographically) some of the survey questions are.

For those not participating...once its done they'll probably have all sorts of data on where people are having sex, how often people are having sex, with whom, their condom use habits, habits of other forms of birth control of their partners, data on whether or not bleeding or discomfort is caused by people (and could correlate that to penis size). The ammount of information they're garnering is staggering.

I'm not sure whether or not they are interested in anything past the condom info...but this could truly shape trends on sexual habits today. I"m not too familiar with the original kinsey study...but this sounds a whole lot like what I understand it was.

Plus...some did mention that the Kinsey institute is at the IU

Theories?
[post=287010]Quoted post[/post]​

I saw the PBS show on Kinsey the other day and the stand out fact to me was he did not use statistical analysis, as we know it, to reach his conclusions.

He did not use a sample group and then interpolate the habits of the small group to a specific large population, but he literally interviewed thousands and thousands of people and drew his percentages from these numbers.

In other words if he said 30% of men do so-and-so he means 30% of say 16,000 men he interviewed did this. If you see built in problems with this method you aren't the only one. He tried being scientific in his chosen interviewees but one wonders if the 16,000 men chosen are representative of all men. Remeber Kinsey was also trying to develop an over all view of human sexuality and come to grips with his own desire for men.

For instance I think Kinsey said 1/3 of adult men have male to male sex to orgasm at least once and 10% have multiple homosexual experiences, while 4-5% are exclusively gay. More recent surveys peg those numbers lower.

Your survey sounds like its just about condoms.

bigsam

Just Browsing
Media
Well...I presume that the data (from approx 2000 men) could be applied to sexual habits or simply be related t condoms...I don't know. All I know is that the they COULD draw inferences from that study.

As for Kinsey's methods...as long as he used random and diverse sampling (i.e. racially and demographically) 16,000 is considered to be a statistically significant number.

There isn't anything wrong with the method of sampling per se, it is how most scientific studies are in fact done. Almost all polls you actually see are in fact samples and they therefore indicate the sample information. It would be impossible to survey all the people in the country about their habits, and thus any sort of sample would fall short of the whole. Having just taken social research, I can attest that for a study such as Kinsey's 16,000 is a very significant ammount.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by lapdog2001@Mar 3 2005, 02:33 PM
I remember from my stats class that a sample size of 40 or more is statistically relevant.  Will the results be better with 16,000?  Yes, but you could get away with 40!

LapDog :p  :9
[post=288089]Quoted post[/post]​

Sample size selection is far more complex than that, and there is no single number describes a statistically relevant sample size. Sometimes inexperienced people who do surveys, etc, use very simple formulas to determine sample size. However, these equations are often only valid for a simple binary decision, i.e. "Do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?" and where some other assumptions are met. I often see pollsters misapply these sample size caluclations to more complex situations, and get bogus results, which they nevertheless ignorantly report to the media as having some high level of confidence or small margin of error, based on incorrect use of a formula they don't fully understand.

Let's say you are trying to determine the average length of something, like a penis. If the length of the thing varies only a little (i.e. has a small standard deviation, and an nice normal distribution), you need take only a few samples to be reasonably confident that your sampling is representative. But, if the length varies very widely (or if the distribution is weird), you need to take a lot more samples. The number of samples required is in fact approximately proportional to the square of the ratio of the standard deviation to the desired precision (assuming normal distribution). Thus, if the variability (standard deviation) of the length doubles, you need to take 4 times as many samples.

The actual equation which applies in the penis-length case, in simplified form, is n = (Zae * s/B) squared, where n is the sample size, s is the standard deviation, B the precision, and Zae is a parameter depending on the desired confidence level. It is then necessary to apply two correction factors, the first of which is usually obtained from a table, and corrects for the fact that a simplified equation, which underestimates a bit, was used. The second corrects for the fact that the total population is finite. For the commonly used 95% condifence level, Zae=1.96. (The confidence level is a measure of how likely a second identical study will agree with yours.) An interesting thing is that you have to do a preliminary study first, to get some idea of the standard deviation, so that you can calculate the sample size for the real study. Then, after you have done your real study, you will have a better idea of the actual standard deviation, and can determine if your sample was was indeed adequate. Larger than calculated sample sizes are often used, to minimize the risk of discovering that the original sample was too small.

Example: Let's say you want to find the average penis length to a quarter inch precision, with 95% confidence. A preliminary study shows that the standard deviation is +/- 1 inch. From the formula above, with s=1, B=0.25, and Zae=1.96, you would need 62 samples. The correction table gives the corrected sample size as 78. Because the total population of men with a penis is much, much larger than 78, you would not have to apply the finite population correctition, as it only applies when the sample size is a significant portion of the total population.

You can see this equation explained, and the correction factors, courtesy of the Department of Fish and Wildlife, here:

http://fire.fws.gov/ifcc/monitor/RefGuide/...m#EQUATION%20#1

The example I cited corresponds to the case of their equation 1, "Determining the necessary sample size for estimating a single population mean or a single population total with a specified level of precision."

However, this example made some assumptions. One of them was that there was a single population, that is, that all persons in the population are basically identical, with some random statistical variation among them. Of course, this isn't true in the real world, since there are different races, ethinc gene pools, selective breeding effects, environmental factors, etc, leading to a heterogeneous population. Therefore, this estimate of sample size isn't really valid. The real sample size necessary would be much larger when these effects are taken into account.

The sample sizes become much greater if the object of the research is to stratify a heterogeneous population. For example, if we ask the penis length survery participants a question about ethnic background, and then try to divide up the population on this basis, to answer some question like "Do Germans, Greeks or Poles have bigger cocks?" (my background is all three), we have stratified the population, and our sample size must be met in each stratum. This is a problem in trying to select a sample size in advance, since we don't know how many Greeks, Germans, or Poles will respond. So, we might have to do a preliminary study on this, too, so that we can choose a sufficient sample size to allow for stratification.

Further, the sample size equation becomes more complicated if you are trying to measure different things than the simple mean of a single variable. For example, let's say you are trying to measure the difference in opinion at two times. This is more complex, because the reliability of the final answer depends on the variability of two different studies. You can see an example of this in the Equation 2 of the above reference. Any time a study involves comparison of multiple variables that are interrelated, larger samples sizes are needed.

The condom study is interesting because it includes both of these issues, plus others. The study takes several data sets on each participant, because it provides different sample condoms to use at different times (every two weeks, a fresh batch is sent). Since the object of the study is presumably to tell if one kind of condom is better than the others, the issue of measuring a difference comes into play.

Further, they probably intend to stratify the population. They ask a lot of questions about sex and sexual habits, in surprisingly frank ways. I think a lot of this is just informational, and is not likely to be used to stratify the population. However, there are obvious ways in which it is necessary to stratify, and they do ask questions relevant to these. For example, they ask if you fuck men or women (and in which orifice), what type of lubrication you use, how long your intercourse lasts, how hard you fuck, etc. Since these factors may affect condom performance, they probably will stratify on this basis for at least portions of the analysis. All told, 2000 men seems a pretty small sample size to me.

InsertHere

Experimental Member
Media
Thanks for the info, Eric! For anyone who takes time to read it, that's a good rundown about statistical studies and sample sizes, a lot of stuff I didn't know. You learn something new every day!

For anyone interested in the Kinsey reports, I recommend the movie Kinsey, which is about his life and peripherally about his work. It was an excellent film that addressed a lot of the cultural reverberations of his work, and also his personality and the effect of his work on his life.

TragicWhiteKnight

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Today I received my second batch of test condoms

Me too, eric - they seem like scary, flimsy little things I'm a little afraid to testdrive in a real situation but I'll have to try in the name of science.

Oh, and I'm in the UK but they've still sent me two packets so far - so it isn't just limited to America.

Satsfakshun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by dickbulge+Mar 3 2005, 01:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dickbulge &#064; Mar 3 2005, 01:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bigsam@Feb 27 2005, 11:28 PM
Its just occuring to me how really probing (and potentially useful demographically) some of the survey questions are. 

For those not participating...once its done they&#39;ll probably have all sorts of data on where people are having sex, how often people are having sex, with whom, their condom use habits, habits of other forms of birth control of their partners, data on whether or not bleeding or discomfort is caused by people (and could correlate that to penis size).  The ammount of information they&#39;re garnering is staggering.

I&#39;m not sure whether or not they are interested in anything past the condom info...but this could truly shape trends on sexual habits today.  I"m not too familiar with the original kinsey study...but this sounds a whole lot like what I understand it was.

Plus...some did mention that the Kinsey institute is at the IU

Theories?
[post=287010]Quoted post[/post]​

I saw the PBS show on Kinsey the other day and the stand out fact to me was he did not use statistical analysis, as we know it, to reach his conclusions.

He did not use a sample group and then interpolate the habits of the small group to a specific large population, but he literally interviewed thousands and thousands of people and drew his percentages from these numbers.

In other words if he said 30% of men do so-and-so he means 30% of say 16,000 men he interviewed did this. If you see built in problems with this method you aren&#39;t the only one. He tried being scientific in his chosen interviewees but one wonders if the 16,000 men chosen are representative of all men. Remeber Kinsey was also trying to develop an over all view of human sexuality and come to grips with his own desire for men.

For instance I think Kinsey said 1/3 of adult men have male to male sex to orgasm at least once and 10% have multiple homosexual experiences, while 4-5% are exclusively gay. More recent surveys peg those numbers lower.

Your survey sounds like its just about condoms.
[post=287958]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

As an IU Grad I&#39;m quite familiar with all the arguements for and against Kinsey. One thing that&#39;s true is that those who are the noisiest about accusing Kinsey of having ulterior motives are those who harbor ulterior motives themselves. You cannot separate Kinsey from the context of his times. If you want to find out who is using a certain dish detergent, you can easily draw a sample, make some phonecalls of do some mailings. However, in the 50s, if you wanted to know who was using their mouths on the genitalia of your partners, you could hardly ask for volunteers at the PTA meeting. Kinsey STARTED this research into an area where there was absolutely NO information whatsoever. In order to get the thing rolling he was going to have to go with what he could... He knew that there would be future researchers and that by his opening the door, there would be opportunities for more standard studies. There had to be a starting point. Remember, DaVinci and other artists risked a death sentence to make the first drawings of the interior anatomy of humans. They did this by buying stolen corpses. Yet today, you don&#39;t hear too many people denying their findings or calling them immoral. They were simply starting where they could.

dickbulge

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by ericbear@Mar 2 2005, 07:36 PM
Today I received my second batch of test condoms. The first condoms they sent me were Viva (They Fit) individually sized condoms, size U22. This is the condom I regularly use, having switched to these from Magnum XLs as soon as the They Fit condoms came on the market. So, of course I reported satisfactory experiences using the first batch of test condoms, since they were my preferred brand and size.

But, the second batch are little tiny things, also manufactured by Viva&#33; I guess they are "regular" or "standard" size condoms. I&#39;m not really sure, since I&#39;ve been using large or larger condoms for so long, that I don&#39;t really remember what a regular condom looks like, other than that I had a lot of trouble using them. I guess the object of the second batch is to compare experiences with the first batch, to see if the individually sized condoms actually do score higher in preference than standard ones. For the sake of the study, I guess I will actually have to try using one of these, so I can be honest when I report that it isn&#39;t going to work for me. One would have thought that it would have been a more meaningful comparison to have provided me with some other large condom for the second batch, since they knew I required one of the bigger They Fit sizes.
[post=287904]Quoted post[/post]​

EricBear is not only cute, he&#39;s smart. If you like to ski, or not, come visit me in Salt Lake City. Or is that helping hand your (as a friend puts it) hus-bear?

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by dickbulge@Mar 4 2005, 12:06 PM

EricBear is not only cute, he&#39;s smart. If you like to ski, or not, come visit me in Salt Lake City. Or is that helping hand your (as a friend puts it) hus-bear?
[post=288345]Quoted post[/post]​

Blush&#33; Hmmm...I&#39;ve never been to Utah. No hus-bear at the moment...

bigsam

Just Browsing
Media
Wow Eric...thats a heck of a post...lol

I still haven&#39;t gotten my second batch yet...hoping soon so I can get it overwith.

bigsam

Just Browsing
Media
Yeah...just got the second batch...the "red dots"

They are terrible. I&#39;m going to try em out, but I am almost certain they are not going to fit at all. I&#39;m not looking forward to this part.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I tried the second batch, the "Red Dots." They sent 6 samples. Here are my results:

#1 I wasn&#39;t fully hard, managed to get it on, and immediately went soft.

#2 This time, I was fully aroused. I had trouble getting it on. I finally got it over the head, and while trying to unroll it down my shaft, it tore.

#3 tried immediately after #2. Same results.

#4 through #6. Tossed in trash unopened.

The weird thing is, in a pinch I have used standard size condoms, and while they were hard to get on, and not comfortable, I don&#39;t remember ripping them while trying to put them on. I did actually measure one of the "Red Dot" condoms before throwing them away. The flattened dimensions were 52 mm wide by about 185 mm long, which, according to Condomania, is the average size of a standard condom.

bigsam

Just Browsing
Media
Yeah...I managed to use one...very uncomfortably.

Broke another...and am considering chucking them.

I&#39;m probably going to just indicate that I "didn&#39;t like the survey condoms" on the box.

I wonder what the flattened width of the 21 or 22 size condoms are?

big_250_huge

Just Browsing
Media
I received my blue dot Viva G22 size condoms. To my amazement, this is the first condom I have ever used that actually came close to fitting&#33;

Once the survey is over, I will DEFINATELY be opting for the Gross of free condoms in my size.

I&#39;m hooked&#33;

John

bigsam

Just Browsing
Media
Finally finished the second round...and they SUCKED...

I just have to keep logging in now to collect my treasured prize...those Myfit&#39;s are amazing

2003gq

1st Like
Media
I just completed the first part. I am still waiating for my first batch of condoms. How long has it taken peolple to recieve their condoms?

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Originally posted by 2003gq@Mar 15 2005, 03:25 AM
I just completed the first part. I am still waiating for my first batch of condoms. How long has it taken peolple to recieve their condoms?
[post=291049]Quoted post[/post]​

I got my first batch 5 days after I filled out the eligibility surveys.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by bigsam@Mar 8 2005, 11:16 AM
I wonder what the flattened width of the 21 or 22 size condoms are?
[post=289243]Quoted post[/post]​

My size U22 measure out as 66 mm wide, and about 230 mm long, when flattened. The flattened width works out to an unstretched circumference of 132 mm, or 5.2 inches. Kinsey supposedly concluded the average erect penis girth was 4.85 inches. That means the average penis girth could&#39;t even fill, much less stretch out, my U22 condoms.

According to Condomania, the average condom is 52 mm wide by 190 mm long.