Condom Size

Gettingbigger1984: I'm wondering, typically, what size of manhood fits into what size condom. for example 6-8 inchs = regular. 10-12 = Magnum, etc.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, 10" doesn't fit into a Magnum. Magnums and Magnum XLs are 205 mm long. The average condom is 190 mm long. Condomania has details about the size of various condoms; they even have a measuring kit for their own condoms.

Usually, I end up just leaving a little out. Of course, most women can't take all 10 1/2" anyway. I don't try to stretch the condom to cover all of my penis; it's only 70 microns thick, after all.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The girth of the penis has a lot more to do with correct condom sizing than the length. A condom that is too wide may slip off, or the rubber may get bunched up and abrade against itself, causing the condom to break. One that is too small in girth may be overstretched, causing it to break more easily, or it may feel too constricting, reducing the pleasure attained.

Most condoms, at 7 to 8 inches long, will cover the part of the penis that is commonly actually inserted. Even if you do go deeper, there is little danger of STD transmission through the skin at the base of the penis, as the primary transmission path is through the mucosa. (Although there are exceptions, like warts.) There is some danger of a too-short condom getting rolled off during thrusting, but this is minimized if the girth fits correctly. Similarly, if the girth fits right (i.e the condom is not too wide for you) the condom will not leak semen around the base, provided you pull out before going soft.

I second the endorsement of the "They Fit" condoms from Condomania.com. Having condoms that fit me correctly makes a big difference in the quality of sex, not only by improving the sensation during the act, but by eliminating all the mood-killing fumbling trying to stretch on a too-tight condom.

glossopoiesis: yeah
On that
the other day iw as searching through my freind(e)'s purs.
And she went to montreal's grand prix where they give out condoms.
Her father thus gave her some, and i fell on them
They were Trojans.
But, it wrote underthem Grand ; french for big.
So, does trojan make big and magnums?
what mm would be big

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by glossopoiesis@Jun 28 2004, 12:26 AM
yeah
On that
the other day iw as searching through my freind(e)'s purs.
And she went to montreal's grand prix where they give out condoms.
Her father thus gave her some, and i fell on them
They were Trojans.
But, it wrote underthem Grand ; french for big.
So, does trojan make big and magnums?
what mm would be big
Yes, there is a Trojan Large, that is between a regular condom and a Magnum in size. It's closer to a regular condom.

Donk

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by Mr._dB@Jun 28 2004, 06:55 AM

Yes, there is a Trojan Large, that is between a regular condom and a Magnum in size. It's closer to a regular condom.
Trojan Large is actually a little bigger than regular Magnums. It's definitely longer, though maybe not wider. Before they came out with Magnum XL (which is wider than Trojan Large but not longer) Trojan Large was the largest condom available.

Anyway, if in doubt, just order Condomania's They-Fit condoms, which you can get in your specific size.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Donk@Jun 28 2004, 06:19 AM

Trojan Large is actually a little bigger than regular Magnums. It's definitely longer, though maybe not wider.
Correct. The Large is Trojan's longest condom. The Magnum is shorter, but slightly wider at the base, while the Magnum XL is wider overall. The Vital stats are as follows (widths are across the flattened condom, length includes the teat on the tip):

Trojan Large length=214mm (8.4 in), head width=60mm (2.36 in), base width=52 mm (2.05 in)

Trogan Magnum length=205mm (8.1 in), head width=60mm (2.36 in), base width=54 mm (2.13 in)

Trojan magnum XL length=205mm (8.1 in), head width=65mm (2.56 in), base width=54 mm (2.13 in)

Note that the base width of the Large (52 mm) is the same as a "typical" condom, so it is really made for length, not girth. The Magnum is slightly better for girth, while the XL is noticably roomier.

However, none of these condoms will properly fit girth significantly above average, as they are really only a few mm larger than regular condoms, at least at the base. The standard FDA condom approval specifications make it difficult to sell condoms with very lage girth at the base, out of concern of them slipping off if used by the general population. The They Fit brand carried by Condomaina has managed to get around this issue, and has secured FDA approval of wider condoms by providing for measurement of the penis with their fit kit.

The size U22 They Fit condoms I use now are about the same length as the Magnum XL condoms I formerly used, but are considerably larger in girth, and provide a much more comfortable fit. Further, they are rolled up into a much bigger circle in the package, thanks to the bigger base width, making them a lot easier to get on. On me, these leave about an inch of shaft exposed at the base, and would be snagging my pubes if any longer. But, if you've got a longer penis, the They Fit come one size longer, intended for about a 10-inch or so penis. I'm quite happy with them, except that even purchased in bulk thay are a considerably more expensive than the Magnum XL was at the local discount store.

However, the They Fit condoms have a farily uniform width along their length. They are a good option for men with uniformly thick cocks, and are still better than any other option available for men who have a tapered penis which gets thickest toward the base. However, if your condom fit problem is caused by a large head, but more modest shaft, they may not be the best option. While a large width They Fit condom may give you the necessary headroom, it may be too loose on the shaft, with the risk of slipping off or leaking. This is why the Fit Kit instructions tell you to measure the girth at the middle of the erect shaft.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have not found a condom that comes close to matching They-Fit condoms for fit. I thought, "What the fuck ... I'll give 'em a try." I'm glad I did. Yeah, they cost more than the Magnum, but it's worth it to me.

thirdlegmeat

Sexy Member
Media
Ericbear:

I appreciate the info on the Trojan "Large" condoms. My biggest attribute is length @ 8.5", while my girth is large but proportionally more modest--like you said, even normal condoms will fit significantly more girth through stretching. But the info on length is very valuable to me. These "Large" Trojans sound like a perfect fit for me.
By the way, I've been using Magnums with no problem, but will gladly trade the extra girth for the nearly 1/2 inch in length from the "Large"

That said, I disagree with you when you say that length is not as much of a problem as girth, when it comes to condom sizing. I thing it's quite the opposite, as (like you said) condoms stretch with regards to width/girth. Condoms do NOT stretch however, lengthwise. If you coud theoretically stretch them this way, it would take a force much greater than the just the friction of the fit around your cock. I know from experience that condoms which are significantly too short will not stretch to accomodate greater length. And this is dangerous with regard to sex. This is why all of the sex manuals advise that you "roll the condom ALL the way down to the BASE of your penis." Even a tight-fitting condom is in danger of being pulled off if thrust inside what is likely going to be an already over-taxed, tight-fitting vagina.

By the way, from my actual measurements of condoms:

Normal size Trojan: Not quite 7"

Magnum: nearly 8"

Magnum XL: also only 8", but significantly wider (ya, that does a lot of good)

Durex: tiny (less than 7" for sure, didn't even measure once I saw that)

Lifestyles: Surprisingly large for condoms not specified as "large"

Anyway, this has been my observation.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by thirdlegmeat@Jun 29 2004, 07:06 PM

That said, I disagree with you when you say that length is not as much of a problem as girth, when it comes to condom sizing. I thing it's quite the opposite, as (like you said) condoms stretch with regards to width/girth. Condoms do NOT stretch however, lengthwise. ....
I was not suggesting that condoms can be stretched lengthwise at all. In fact, when you stretch an elastic material like a condom in girth, it actually becomes shorter (in a proportion known as Poission's Ratio, for the mechanical engineers.) So, as you point out, the condom will not cover more, and probably less, of the penis than its unstretched length.

Rather, I meant that if a condom is too tight in girth, there isn't much you can do about it. It will either be uncomfortable, or just not fit, and will not be acceptable for use.

However, if a condom does not reach completely to the base of the penis, you may find that perfectly acceptable, and it may not be a problem for you. This is an individual decision, which takes into account the following factors:

1) Will the uncovered portion of the penis shaft actually be inserted?

2) Do the motions of the condom user and his partner tend to snag the base of the condom, causing it to roll off, or does it still stay in place, despite being a bit short?

3) Do you stay hard long enough after cumming that the condom will stay tightly secured on your penis, or do you have to hold the condom by the base when you pull out?

4) Is the function of the condom to protect against STDs, or just for contraception (i.e. safe monogamous partner)? If just for contraception, if the girth fits correctly, and the condom stays in place (#2 and #3), it will not leak ejaculate despite being a little short.

5) Is the risk of STD transmission through this uncovered skin at the base of the penis shaft any greater than through the uncovered skin throughout the scrotal and groin area, which comes into contact with the partner's groin and becomes wetted by the partner's fluids?

6) Is the risk of STD transmission through the uncovered skin at the base of the penis shaft any greater than through the unbroken skin of your hand when you finger your partner's privates during foreplay? Do you wear latex gloves for this activity?

I suspect that the warning in the condom instructions about unrolling all the way has more to do with keeping the condom from slipping off than with "protecting" the whole shaft, for the following reasons:

Some men attempt to use a condom by just placing it over the head of the penis, but not rolling it down over the shaft (I know several such people, and such incorrect practices were discussed in my high school Health classes). In fact, when I was younger, you could still buy things called "condom caps," which were very short condoms that just fit over the head of the penis. These are no longer on the market, because they tended to come off, particularly on certain penis shapes (tapered vs. mushroom). I believe that the warning in the condom instructions to fully unroll the condom has more to do with discouraging these behaviors, than being sure that the skin at the base of the penis is covered. If the condom is partially unrolled, the bulky ring of rolled up material at the base is likely to snag, causing the condom to be pulled off. However, if fully unrolled, even if too short, this excess bulk is gone, so the condom base is less likely to snag.

Further, it appears that some men have problems keeping condoms from slipping off in general, both during sex and during withdrawl. Evidence of the former is the large number of patents that have been issued for condom retention devices, and the fact that you can actually buy special medical cock rings that clip the condom in place. Evidence of the latter is the warning in the condom instruction to hold the base of the condom when pulling out. Personally, I've never had trouble with either. In fact, before finding the They Fit condoms with adequate girth, getting the condom off after pulling out was difficult and sometimes even painful. The ring at the base would typically have sunk into my cock flesh, making it all but impossible to grasp, and the condom would not come off by just pulling the tip. Although the Magnum XL is theoretically long enough for me, by the time I had the girth stretched out they typically did not cover me all the way down. However, despite this, I have never had one pull off even partially.

Therefore, I believe a condom can still reliably perform its function even if a part of the penis shaft remains uncovered when it is fully unrolled. But again, this is a personal thing based on your judgement and experience. If the condom tends to get pulled off, obviously it's no good. But, if you are concerned about the unprotected skin, you should apply the same concern to all the other unprotected skin that may come into contact with your partner's privates, and take suitable precautions there, too.

E_N

Experimental Member
Media
Magnum XL is my favorite right now, honestly because they are cheap (like less than 6$ for a dozen at Wal-Mart, the only place in town that carries bigger condoms), and they are the only condoms that feel comfortable.

I don't use them for BC, cause my wife uses orthotrycyclene, but they can be really handy for quickies in the morning or before work. There is a lot less clean up involved, especially for her.

I don't think they are quite 8" long, or I am longer than I think I am. I've got maybe 1.5" left uncovered by them. They are, however, almost the perfect width. Just the right amount of snugness.