Condoms as birth control

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by fak_et, Aug 31, 2008.

1. fak_et

fak_et New Member

I realize that condoms arent 100% effective at birth control, what do you need to do to make sure they are as close to 100% as possible.

Assuming you use one that fits properly, applied and removed properly, dont ejaculate inside a vagina, and use one with a spermicidal lubricant, is it safe to say that should be pretty effective?

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Yes. And ejaculating inside the vagina is fine - the thing to do is to check every now and then during sex that the condom is still on correctly. That's assuming the sex last more than 5 mins :biggrin1: - it's not a big deal, on a position change or something, it doesn't have to be a big interuption ("OK honey, I'm checking the condom now!" *gets eyeglasses and flashlight of nightstand* :no:) - one of you just needs to put your hand down and check the condom is all the way on, any tears will be obvious then too. And it is the woman's responsibility as much as the guy's to check this.

The other thing you can do is use a spermicide creme for her, usually applied with an applicator well inside the vagina. That way if the condom does break you have an extra line of defence.

I effectively used condoms, with and without extra spermicide, as my only method of contraception for 10 years.

EDIT: Of course the first step, that you may well have sorted already, is to find a well fitting condom that suits you. If it is too tight (or too loose) or uncomfortable during sex that will increase the risk of tearing, slippage, etc..

#2 ManlyBanisters, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    People often say they are not effective, but that is based on couples who say their "primary means of birth control is condoms." It doesn't mean they actually used them every time they had sex. It takes into account that they may have ran out of condoms and had sex anyway, etc.

If you cum in the condom and it fits well, then no sperm will get to the egg. The main concern is having a condom break. It should fit well and you should use lube if it becomes dry.

You can also get the "morning after pill" or use other means of emergency contraception if you cum and the condom breaks.

4. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are some people here whose personalities qualify as birth control.

5. art

art
    Gold Member

The only 100% successful method of birth control is not to have sex.

If 94% or 96% or 98% isn't high enough for you, try using two methods of birth control. That is, the man wears a condom, the woman uses a diaphragm, or is on the pill, or has an IUD. That ought to put you up in the 99% range.

Condoms, used properly (note the caveat), are pretty successful. I've been having sex (using condoms) since I was 15, and I haven't had any surprises yet.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

My parents, who married in 1941, only used condoms for birth control and they seemed to be relatively effective because, despite fucking like minks into their late 70's, they only had two children: me and my brother. And how do I know this insightful aspect of my parents' sex life? Well, for some reason they both felt it OK to discuss such uncomfortable issues with me and my brother when we were in our 30's and older. Yup, nothing like talking with dad or mom about the ups and downs of their sex lives. Stuff you really would prefer not to know anything about no matter how old you are because you are always your parents' kids.

And now, more information than any of us really wants to know: I remember a rather nauseous moment when my father, aged 80, shared how much he liked using condoms because he and my mother found them to be so convenient when mom, back in the day, was having her period. Oh, yes. That was a banner day when I heard that! It sort of put me off my game for a month or two. Still, I miss the both very much.

#6 midlifebear, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  7. D_Chocho_Lippz

D_Chocho_Lippz Account Disabled

ROFL! :laughing:

8. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Condoms worked for Hung. Very effective. I relied on condoms for the time between 1976, when our youngest Son was born until my Bride went through the "change."

9. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Condoms are very effective is used properly. The other option is to use condoms in conjunction with NFP (Natural Family Planning). There are times during the month when women are infertile. Women can plot their cycles and learn when this time is. I recommend talking it out if you are truly worried and getting your better half to learn these times. It usually happens for about 8 days of the month, so you have a week to make the most of an almost certain 100% chance of not getting pregnant. This is used by many to prevent having kids regardless of condom use, but requires daily work. I don't like when women are on birth control just because it tends to add weight to them, which mean I have to deal with "I'm getting fat" and I prefer to just wrap it up and go to town.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

Ain't that the truth! :lmao:

Art darling, I've been meaning to talk to you about that lovely encounter we had a few years ago. :wink: :tongue:

WOW! Now that's the best endorsement I have heard for condom use. :cool:

Isn't that what they used to call the Rhythm Method? I've been told the common nickname for people who use that method is . . . parents. :tongue: But what if you really want sex during a not good time?

11. D_Tamerton Taintpussie

D_Tamerton Taintpussie Account Disabled

They definitely fail, even if used properly and every time. If you are able to use other methods of birth control (which have their own issues, of course), then do so. As you know, a kid is for life.

If they break or come off, at least you have the option of the morning-after pill. The problematic scenario is when you don't realize that the condom has malfunctioned (such as if it has a tiny hole you can't see etc).

I do think some people get lucky (even over decades), the issue is, some don't.

12. Principessa

Gold Member

Just did a bit of research, and there is now something called the Standard Days Method. It is allegedly more reliable than the Rhythm Method. The Standard Days Method relies upon cyclebeads.
    How Was The Standard Days Method Developed?
    The Standard Days Method was actually developed using highly sophisticated analyses of thousands of menstrual cycles lasting between 26 and 32 days. Data from more than 7,500 different menstrual cycles was compiled and recorded by computers. This data was then analyzed in order to find out when fertile days occurred during a woman's menstrual cycle.

All aspects of fertility were taken into account, including ovulation and the typical lifespan of both sperm and eggs. Based on this information, SDM concludes that the most fertile days of a woman's cycle are Days 8 through 19.
    How Do You Use the Standard Days Method?
    The Standard Days Method is fairly straightforward to use. All you need to do is keep track of how long your menstrual cycle is, in order to determine when Days 8 through 19 occur.
    • When the first day of your period arrives, this is Day1 of your cycle. Mark this on your calendar.
    • Between Day 1 and Day 7, it is highly unlikely that you will become pregnant, so it is safe to participate in sexual intercourse without using birth control.
    • Between Day 8 and Day 19, you are at your most fertile. You and your partner should abstain from sex or you should use an alternate type of birth control, such as a condom.
    • Between Day 20 and 32 you are unlikely to get pregnant, so you can resume sexual intercourse.
    Effectiveness also depends upon abstinence or the use of contraception during the fertile period. Some couples may find it difficult to temporarily abstain from sex or using an alternate form of birth control.

13. B_hp2daymi

B_hp2daymi New Member

Albums:
    Ha Ha, just make sure you get a name brand. 30 years ago they came in colors, so I'm banging my GF doggie by the window and the orgasm was sooooo great. I shot a huge load. Turns out the condom had broken while we screwing and all I had on me was the rubber band part, the rest was in her and I had to stick my fingers in her to dig it out, anyway 9 months later we had twins. Still remember it was a blue condom!.

14. JohnnyVee

JohnnyVee New Member

Albums:
    Well as already stated theres no such thing as 100% effective birth control, except not to have sex. Condoms do a reasonable good job. Just make sure they fit properly and are a good reliable brand name. The cheap, no-name brand ones can tear really easily.

15. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I'm soooo glad I got a vasectomy. :cool: Messes are more funner... hahaha

16. 3664shaken

3664shaken New Member

My womanly rules about condoms.

#1, They SUCK, they ruin everything about sex, it should be spontaneous it says you don’t trust the guy, it says you don’t love cum.

#2 they seem to only last about 5-7 minutes, so if you longer sex then that then forget it I have had over 25 condoms fail and I don’t use them very much. I know seven women who have gotten pregnant using them, a far higher number them women who have been on the pill.

#3 They will usually irritate a girl, even with plenty of lube.

#4 Almost every guy who insists upon a condom is worried about something, either they are huge slut or they think I am, again a huge turn-off to the sex process.

Basically condoms suck, if I am going to have sex with I want to know that I can have it and not get any diseases. I take care of the pregnancy problem and if a girl is relying on a condom then she is stupid or very young with a guy who only pumps a couple of times.

17. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

either high school junior Levi Johnson wasn't using a rubber or it burst during sex, so VP candidate Pawlin is going to become a grandparent about the time she's inaugurated.

18. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

My experiences are similar to ManlyBanisters.
    I use them as my sole form of birth control/safe sex, as do all of my partners. I check by reaching down every now and then, but also, most men know when it switches from feeling good to toooooo good(!), and they stop and check. Although, I am always prepared and have Plan B available, and have used it once due to pre-ejaculation slippage.
    Yes, yes, way TMI. :smile:
    Or, alternatively, using a condom gives the appearance that you value your health and his. Further, licking, sucking, and savoring every drop of jizz residue from his cock after taking off the condom says anything but I "don't love cum".

Non-latex condoms are readily available.

Disagree. I use condoms exclusively and always have throughout my sexual life, which is well over a decade. Indeed, closer to two, ahem. :wink: While I may be stupid, in some respects, maintaining my sexual health is one area where I am not.

Therefore, even when engaged, and close to marriage, or in a multi-year, monogamous relationship, we never had sex without a condom.

19. CowboyJosh

CowboyJosh Member

I always figure if your having sex condom or not your old enough to assume the risk of getting a girl pregnant. Personally we use condoms as birth control exclusively; because I don't want to get snipped even though I have 5 children, and my wife doesn't want the side effects of the pill; and we plan on having a couple more children in our early 30's. Condoms can be a drag, but based on the other side effects caused by other birth control methods, in our opionion (my wife and I) condoms are the best of the worst when it comes to BC.

20. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    You can also only have sex with someone you'd be willing to have a child with. That way even if something goes wrong with a condom, it's not that bad.
    I wonder how often they have a hole and don't break apart completely. :confused: I mean if you inspect the condom after you take it off, you can tell if it broke or had a hole.

Draft saved Draft deleted