Condoms Provide NO Protection Against HPV and Little Protection for Other STDs?

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/04n0556/04n-0556-EC28-Attach-1.pdf

This was taken from another post: http://www.lpsg.org/sex-with-a-large-penis/54665-trojan-magnum-xl-alternative.html

I was shocked at this to say the least because I've always thought they provided decent protection against this well-known and other widespread STDs.

According to the above article, however, condoms provide no protection against HPV and they are unsure about the effectiveness against herpes and some other STDs.

Now I'm going to think 'three times' before having sex. :eek:

==

P.S. - For reference, the other article posted was longer but had more label info: Draft Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff: Class II Special Controls Guidance Document: Labeling for Male Condoms Made of Natural Rubber Latex

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A whole lot about having sex is about common sense.

You have to LOOK before going down, and use your senses to check for anything wierd. (Bumps, critters, rash, redness, etc etc.)

Obviously all STD's arent a visible flag, but you can at leasst make sure. Moreso ASK!!
I always ask my partners if they are clean, and still wear protection were applicable.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Some STD's can be transmitted by skin-on-skin contact (genital herpes, HPV) and condoms reduce the chance of transmission with these but cannot eliminate it entirely. Anything that is transmitted by fluid exchange can be prevented by using condoms (gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV, et al).

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hpv & herpes are passed on by skin on skin contact.

a sore on the skin not covered by a rubber could infect a partner.

but.

the diseases carried in fluids {syph, hiv etc} will be prevented if there's no fluid contact.

i

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The only safe sex is the kind you have alone. Sex with a partner is never truly safe, but the risks can be minimized by being very careful.
There is no safe automobile trip or airplane flight either. Just weigh the risks before you act.

neils1153

1st Like
Media
it is very true... HPV infects the skin, and is not a blood born infection, thus there is no blood test for it... a condom only covers the penis yet leaves the scrotum, and pubic "area", exposed to an infected partner, or you infecting your partner... HPV isent a death sentence though... the largest concern is cervical cancer, and the other is genetal warts... fact is most people with healthy immune systems never have a wart outbreak, or if they do they only have "one", then their immune systems fight it off... the "vote is still out", on weather the body totaly kills off the virus or just builds an immunity to it, but needless to say usually most people never know they ever had the virus... my GF was told she had it last year dude to abnormal pap smears, but now they are normal... i nor has she ever had any outbreaks or anything like that to date...

husky14620

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Please also keep in mind that this is from the Bush Administration, the same ones who told NYC Emergency and Construction workers that the air around ground zero was safe to breathe, the same ones who believe carbon dioxide isn't a greenhouse gas, the same ones who called the elimination of federal school assistance "No Child Left Behind", the same ones who called removing limits on emissions from power plants "Clear Skies Initiative", etc.

But it is still wise to take every precaution when considering acts that could possibly debilitate and/or kill you.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good one/s husky :biggrin1:

So yeah, as long as you're careful. Most surveys have a slant or aim, aka bias. Just use your common sense and condoms.

Don't let someone suck you off if they have a coldsore. Don't oralise someone if YOU have a coldsore. Get tested. Use condoms. Live long and prosper.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Fact-check!

Just so folks know, the PDF that JWright linked is not the official position of the FDA, despte having an fda.gov URL.

The FDA, like the FCC, accepts public comments on proposed actions. The PDF was a public comment made by Mark Souder, republican Congressman from Indiana's third district.

He has an MBA from Notre Dame, but no formal medical training which would qualify him to be able to assess the effectiveness of condoms against HPV.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fact-check!

Just so folks know, the PDF that JWright linked is not the official position of the FDA, despte having an fda.gov URL.

The FDA, like the FCC, accepts public comments on proposed actions. The PDF was a public comment made by Mark Souder, republican Congressman from Indiana's third district.

He has an MBA from Notre Dame, but no formal medical training which would qualify him to be able to assess the effectiveness of condoms against HPV.
How DARE you go around tossing fact into the discussion!

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Fact-check!

:hugs:

DarrellABC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ive never had sex with someone who had a visible sore or wart..but everyone makes the blanket statement "everyone has herpes" which scares me..and my Doctor just made the blanket statement its through sex?? Wish I knew the true facts if they know...so much they dont know until it happens...

I was told by a dermatologist that she thinks upwards of 75% of people have HPV but never know it. She said the only concern is the strains that lead to cervical cancer, "warts freeze right off." I was shocked to say the least.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some STD's can be transmitted by skin-on-skin contact (genital herpes, HPV) and condoms reduce the chance of transmission with these but cannot eliminate it entirely. Anything that is transmitted by fluid exchange can be prevented by using condoms (gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV, et al).

This lady knows her stuff.

Free love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are multiple strains of HPV. Strains 16 and 18 CAN lead to cervical cancer. But with routine pap smears, cells that change their characteristics (early cancerous cellular changes are called metaplasia) are picked up by this test (which is really just a scraping of the cells on the cervix after which they are stained and viewed by a pathologist). The most common "wart" type of HPV are HPV 6 and 11. These strains of HPV do not lead to cervical cancer. But they appear as the typical "genital wart." As what the above mentioned dermatologist said, these warts are removed either by a chemotherapeutic type of drug (such as Podophyllin) or by common freezing (cryotherapy) or other techniques. When a woman is found to have a positive pap smear, she needs to undergo a cervical biopsy to see how invaded the cervix is with potentially changed cells. If it is more invasive then she might need a procedure to destroy the outermost part of the cervix or possibly a hysterectomy if the cells are indeed cancerous and spreading inward.
HPV is the major cause of cervical cancer in the world. However, there is a vaccination now that can be provided to young women. For some stupid reason, this was never tried on young men.
Men with HPV may be completely asymptomatic of the disease. They might have occasional warts "pop up," or if they become immune compromised (i.e. HIV with CD4 counts below 200) they might start showing severe signs of warts or even penile cancer. The relationship between HPV and penile cancer is not as clear as the relationship between HPV and cervical cancer (as far as I know).
Both Herpes and HPV can be passed by skin to skin contact. Viral load is usually proportional to the exposure of warts or herpes lesions. However, just because lesions are not visible does not mean that transmission of the viruses cannot occur. Therefore, the only true way to avoid getting exposed to HPV or HSV (herpes) is to avoid oral and genital (and anal) sex as was mentioned above.
As far as GC, chlamydia and syphilis are concerned, largely if you don't come in contact with the fluids, you don't get the disease. That being said, sometimes these diseases (especially chlamydia and syphilis) can cause lesions to occur on the body. Those lesions are swimming with these pathogens. DO NOT shake hands with someone with lesions on their palms. Those lesions (if they are syphilitic) are full of infectious treponemes (syphilis).

So the safest sex is masturbation. The religious right might be crazy and wrong about a lot of things. But they are right about that.

OK. I'm done.

Free love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are multiple strains of HPV. Strains 16 and 18 CAN lead to cervical cancer. But with routine pap smears, cells that change their characteristics (early cancerous cellular changes are called metaplasia) are picked up by this test (which is really just a scraping of the cells on the cervix after which they are stained and viewed by a pathologist). The most common "wart" type of HPV are HPV 6 and 11. These strains of HPV do not lead to cervical cancer. But they appear as the typical "genital wart." As what the above mentioned dermatologist said, these warts are removed either by a chemotherapeutic type of drug (such as Podophyllin) or by common freezing (cryotherapy) or other techniques. When a woman is found to have a positive pap smear, she needs to undergo a cervical biopsy to see how invaded the cervix is with potentially changed cells. If it is more invasive then she might need a procedure to destroy the outermost part of the cervix or possibly a hysterectomy if the cells are indeed cancerous and spreading inward.
HPV is the major cause of cervical cancer in the world. However, there is a vaccination now that can be provided to young women. For some stupid reason, this was never tried on young men.
Men with HPV may be completely asymptomatic of the disease. They might have occasional warts "pop up," or if they become immune compromised (i.e. HIV with CD4 counts below 200) they might start showing severe signs of warts or even penile cancer. The relationship between HPV and penile cancer is not as clear as the relationship between HPV and cervical cancer (as far as I know).
Both Herpes and HPV can be passed by skin to skin contact. Viral load is usually proportional to the exposure of warts or herpes lesions. However, just because lesions are not visible does not mean that transmission of the viruses cannot occur. Therefore, the only true way to avoid getting exposed to HPV or HSV (herpes) is to avoid oral and genital (and anal) sex as was mentioned above.
As far as GC, chlamydia and syphilis are concerned, largely if you don't come in contact with the fluids, you don't get the disease. That being said, sometimes these diseases (especially chlamydia and syphilis) can cause lesions to occur on the body. Those lesions are swimming with these pathogens. DO NOT shake hands with someone with lesions on their palms. Those lesions (if they are syphilitic) are full of infectious treponemes (syphilis).

So the safest sex is masturbation. The religious right might be crazy and wrong about a lot of things. But they are right about that.

OK. I'm done.

ShannonH

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This is one of the main reasons I practice monogamy. I think it's possible to occasionally fuck someone aside from the woman I love, but avoiding that is the only good way to avoid me/my girlfriend bringing home something nasty.