Condyloma/Anal Warts: I'm worried

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by reachguy1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. reachguy1

reachguy1 New Member

Earlier this year I had a rather horrific experience, would really not like to go into it. A couple weeks ago I found a lump on my butt hole and went to go see an anal/rectal surgeon. I was told I have Anal Warts/Condyloma, and I'm scheduled for surgical removal later this week. They're on the opening as well as a couple on the inside too. I'm really worried about the surgery, and what this means for my life. I'm a straight mid 20's guy, and so I don't think it'll affect my sex life.
    Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff who can explain what this means, if i'm going to have to have surgeries every year, or what exactly is happening. My surgeon was very blunt, and I've only ever told what happened earlier this year to a therapist, so I'm not really comfortable sharing it with the doctor. I haven't had an STD test, but have donated blood, and since they test extensively all samples for blood illnesses Im assuming I don't have HIV.
    Really, I'm just scared and confused and not sure what is going to happen, what this means, and what my future looks like. Can anyone please explain this to me? I'd be very grateful.

2. dude_007

Gold Member

Genital/Anal warts are caused by the HPV virus, which is the most widely spreading viral STD these days. HPV is a contact virus, and very communicable, so it is spread by skin-to-skin contact. Most strains of HPV cause benign, but ugly lesions. Removal of the lesions do not guarantee they will not come back. You will probably also be put on an antiviral, such as acyclovir, to help the virus from replecating. I wouldn't be too worried, you are young and probably have a strong immune system...and HPV is known to resolve on its own. Good that you have a primary care provider and good that you are doing something about it.

If you want to talk, I'm happy to offer whatever support I can.

3. dude_007

Gold Member

Also, no one can assume they don't have HIV if a donated blood sample didn't have any followup. I know it is scary, but it is best to be tested because it is better to know. HIV is much harder to be infected by than HPV so there is that...

4. danjs584

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Everyone's given good advice so far but you also should make sure they do a biopsy of the warts when they are removed to determine the level of dysplasia (cellular deformity). If can range from very mild to pre-cancerous. The type of HPV that causes warts doesn't normally cause cancer but you may also have the other type without knowing it. Most doctors recommend that anyone with a history of anal warts or any type of HPV have an anal pap smear each year as part of their physical to be sure the virus isn't coming back. Hope this helps!

5. reachguy1

reachguy1 New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel a lot better now about everything, I was really worried for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted