Confess! What Popular Movies Have You Never Seen?

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
dear lord man, where have you been for the past 30 years? :smile:

Hey, you know, I admit that I enjoy things that are outside the mainstream, and I'm fine with that. So I have to say that while glancing over at my collection of dvd's, about a third of them are some kind of nature/science/anthropology/psychology documentary, which explains why I'm not often compelled to go to the movies (maybe two or three times a year at most). I have seen a lot, but I guess the big blockbuster type movies often don't appeal to me. And I am sure I could list a lot of movies that few have seen or remember. But I'm fine with that. I have thoroughly accepted the fact that "Chris isn't like most other guys."

;-)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not a fan of Travolta either but its because it is not my taste in movies, if it came on tv i'd glance up at it but i would'nt be following. I need aliens, monsters, immortal style serial killers, supernatural ghostly stuff, Lord of the Rings style fantasy or whoopi goldberg in comedy to get my interest tbh.

Whoopi Goldberg in comedy? LOL... :tongue:

so you would watch "Eddy" or "Sister Act" but not Pulp Fiction? :biggrin1:

do you not like the crime genre?

have you seen Reservoir Dogs?

or Goodfellas? Scarface?

you might really like them...

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm not a fan of Travolta either but its because it is not my taste in movies, if it came on tv i'd glance up at it but i would'nt be following. I need aliens, monsters, immortal style serial killers, supernatural ghostly stuff, Lord of the Rings style fantasy or whoopi goldberg in comedy to get my interest tbh.

Yeah, you hit on a lot of things I enjoy as well. I feel like watching movies about reality is boring. I get enough reality when I step outside my door. I want something I won't see otherwise. Or, of course, something campy. I remember as a kid my father would be happy that one of my favorite movies was "Mame" with Rosalind Russel. Oh, what little did he realize that would mean years later. Hahaha.

:)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey, you know, I admit that I enjoy things that are outside the mainstream, and I'm fine with that. So I have to say that while glancing over at my collection of dvd's, about a third of them are some kind of nature/science/anthropology/psychology documentary, which explains why I'm not often compelled to go to the movies (maybe two or three times a year at most). I have seen a lot, but I guess the big blockbuster type movies often don't appeal to me. And I am sure I could list a lot of movies that few have seen or remember. But I'm fine with that. I have thoroughly accepted the fact that "Chris isn't like most other guys."

;-)

hey man, i enjoy outside the mainstream too...many of those movies were not necessarily mainstream either at the time they were produced...films like Apocalypse Now, and Clockwork Orange were incredibly subversive for their time...

i love documentaries and stuff like that as well...i am addicted to them...i agree with you completely about blockbusters...frankly, i hate most of them...but most of the films on that list, are not necessarily blockbusters of the big dumb hulking variety...

i think someone outside the mainstream who likes different stuff would truly love several o these films that were on your list, as they are the type of film that the mainstream doesn't really like, but people who truly appreciate great cinema and art will like...

the good thing is, virtually all the movies on that list are not in theaters...they are all on DVD, so you do not have to tolerate the modern movie experience, which, quite frankly, sucks...

but if you want outside the mainstream, subversive, interesting stuff, try out these movies from your list...

Scarface
Fight Club
The Big Lebowski
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Dr. Strangelove
Pulp Fiction
Fargo
Reservoir Dogs

that is 11 films...i'll make you a gentleman's bet...if you clear aside 1 night a week, for the next 11 weeks, and see each of those films, i guarantee you you will love most of them, or if not love, will find them extremely interesting enough that you would have found them worthwhile...

that is my wager to you, as someone who also liikes cinema that veers outside the typical bullshit...should i be wrong, after the next 11 weeks of viewing, about liking the majority of them (say, 7 of 11) i will put in my signature, something clever about me being a failure at recommending movies...:smile:...and you shall (in addition to seeing films you would love) put in your signature "Flashy was right...I loved most of his movie recommendations"...

how about that? :biggrin1: you have to commit to 1 night a week, for the next 11 weeks, to watch the films above

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As for that AFI list, i find it a bit regressive in that it favors many old films at the expense of more modern stuff

i would suggest the IMDB Top 250...since it gives many more choices, and you can still find virtually all the ones from the AFI list, plus, more recent stuff.

IMDb Top 250

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Whoopi Goldberg in comedy? LOL... :tongue:

so you would watch "Eddy" or "Sister Act" but not Pulp Fiction? :biggrin1:

do you not like the crime genre?

have you seen Reservoir Dogs?

or Goodfellas? Scarface?

you might really like them...

I'm not a fan of the crime genre but i have seen and liked 'Snatch' and 'Lock Stock...'

Of the imdb list i have only seen 57 of the listed 250 and that would have been 1 less if Nudeyorker had'nt suggested i watch Les Diaboliques which was also good.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, you hit on a lot of things I enjoy as well. I feel like watching movies about reality is boring. I get enough reality when I step outside my door. I want something I won't see otherwise. Or, of course, something campy. I remember as a kid my father would be happy that one of my favorite movies was "Mame" with Rosalind Russel. Oh, what little did he realize that would mean years later. Hahaha.

I'm not into campy movies really, i did enjoy Priscilla, Queen of the desert but that's about it really. I've been avoiding the tv series 'glee' for the same reason, just does'nt appeal to my tastes.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not a fan of the crime genre but i have seen and liked 'Snatch' and 'Lock Stock...'

Of the imdb list i have only seen 57 of the listed 250 and that would have been 1 less if Nudeyorker had'nt suggested i watch Les Diaboliques which was also good.

well, if you liked snatch and lock stock, i would bet that you would love pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. :biggrin1:

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I totally hear you on trying to sell the films. I'm not saying I haven't seen them because I think I won't like them. It's that seeing them has ranked lower on my list of "things to do" than other things. Basically, I just never got around to "catching up" on movies I "should have seen" by now. Add to that the fact that I just started going back to school full time and am working as a waiter in varying hours, sold my car before moving here, am trying to make every dollar stretch, and you can see that it's even lower on my priority list at the moment. Like I said, I never consciously chose to avoid seeing the movies, I just didn't consciously chose to see them. I'm sure there are a bunch of things I have seen and could recommend that others haven't, not because it wouldn't be their cup of tea, but because they just never thought about it. I do have to say that this thread has made me realize one more thing that has seemingly kept me "out of the loop" with regards to current culture. I just don't know the references that most other people seem to have. Like I said, "Chris is not like most other guys."

hey man, i enjoy outside the mainstream too...many of those movies were not necessarily mainstream either at the time they were produced...films like Apocalypse Now, and Clockwork Orange were incredibly subversive for their time...

i love documentaries and stuff like that as well...i am addicted to them...i agree with you completely about blockbusters...frankly, i hate most of them...but most of the films on that list, are not necessarily blockbusters of the big dumb hulking variety...

i think someone outside the mainstream who likes different stuff would truly love several o these films that were on your list, as they are the type of film that the mainstream doesn't really like, but people who truly appreciate great cinema and art will like...

the good thing is, virtually all the movies on that list are not in theaters...they are all on DVD, so you do not have to tolerate the modern movie experience, which, quite frankly, sucks...

but if you want outside the mainstream, subversive, interesting stuff, try out these movies from your list...

Scarface
Fight Club
The Big Lebowski
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Dr. Strangelove
Pulp Fiction
Fargo
Reservoir Dogs

that is 11 films...i'll make you a gentleman's bet...if you clear aside 1 night a week, for the next 11 weeks, and see each of those films, i guarantee you you will love most of them, or if not love, will find them extremely interesting enough that you would have found them worthwhile...

that is my wager to you, as someone who also liikes cinema that veers outside the typical bullshit...should i be wrong, after the next 11 weeks of viewing, about liking the majority of them (say, 7 of 11) i will put in my signature, something clever about me being a failure at recommending movies...:smile:...and you shall (in addition to seeing films you would love) put in your signature "Flashy was right...I loved most of his movie recommendations"...

how about that? :biggrin1: you have to commit to 1 night a week, for the next 11 weeks, to watch the films above

Holly38G

Experimental Member
Media
Houston, but I work for an airline so I travel
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Wow, there's a lot I haven't seen. I started going through the posts and jotting down any I missed, until I got to the post that listed the top 100, and realized I've seen very few of those and didn't want to make this list even longer. So.....who's in Buffalo and wants to have a movie night? I have a 52-inch screen and surround-sound.

Here are some of my have-nots:

Star Wars (not a single one...someday, when I feel like devoting a weekend to watching movies)
Scarface
Gone With The Wind
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Fight Club
Easy Rider
The Third Man
The Big Lebowski
Paper Moon
Taxi Driver
Manchurian Candidate (either version)
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Dr. Strangelove
Once Upon A Time In America
Pulp Fiction
Million Dollar Baby
High School Musical (and no interest)
Bruno
Lawrence of Arabia
Fargo
Reservoir Dogs
Raging Bull
Vertigo
City Lights
The Searchers
Sunset Blvd
The Graduate
The General
On the Waterfront
Some Like It Hot
The Grapes of Wrath (read the book, though)
To Kill a Mockingbird (read the book, though)

I've never seen all those except for Gone with the wind. I did see that once on a movie channel. A fb of the time & I watched it. None of the godfathers, lord of the rings, none of the last twenty or more oscar winners, titanic, forrest gumpp, not really in to horror, war, sci fi, crime, or sad or bad drama movies. Really only like romance & fun movies. I like to feel good when I leave the theater and if possible be hornier than I usually am! ;)

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I almost never watch movies, but I did see Avatar. It's a neat spectacle with a good message, but the writing is atrocious. Makes George Lucas look like Tennessee Williams.
Made bold, underlined, increased font size and put in red for emphasis. Very pretty and interesting enough to hold one's attention but the writing left much to be desired.