Confess! What Popular Movies Have You Never Seen?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I totally hear you on trying to sell the films. I'm not saying I haven't seen them because I think I won't like them. It's that seeing them has ranked lower on my list of "things to do" than other things. Basically, I just never got around to "catching up" on movies I "should have seen" by now. Add to that the fact that I just started going back to school full time and am working as a waiter in varying hours, sold my car before moving here, am trying to make every dollar stretch, and you can see that it's even lower on my priority list at the moment. Like I said, I never consciously chose to avoid seeing the movies, I just didn't consciously chose to see them. I'm sure there are a bunch of things I have seen and could recommend that others haven't, not because it wouldn't be their cup of tea, but because they just never thought about it. I do have to say that this thread has made me realize one more thing that has seemingly kept me "out of the loop" with regards to current culture. I just don't know the references that most other people seem to have. Like I said, "Chris is not like most other guys."
:)

I hear that...so how about making it 1 movie a month from that list? That'll give you 11 months to see them :wink:

being "in the loop" in pop culture is really not that important...today...i.e..you really are not missing that much, in terms of the kind of crap pop culture has devolved to...but those films, in my opinion, are examples of the best of culture...not pop culture...and they are the type of films that make you believe in the best parts of culture, and allow you to miss the pop culture nonsense that most waste their time with.

I would say you are very fortunate to not be up on "pop culture"...which is total crap. You are not missing anything in that regard...but these films are not really "pop culture"...they are cultural/artistic work par excellence in many cases...ones that stand apart from the drivel, and allow you to believe in the influence of film *AS* culture as opposed to a byproduct of the nonsense that is pop culture of this modern internet/tv/movie era.

remember, cinema used to be an escape from the mundane, nonsensical pop culture and drudgery of every day life...those films i listed are great examples of that, and, IMO, would be something you would find to a great addition to your lexicon, as opposed to the waste of time, that i agree that most "pop culture" is.

:smile:

D

deleted3782

As for that AFI list, i find it a bit regressive in that it favors many old films at the expense of more modern stuff

i would suggest the IMDB Top 250...since it gives many more choices, and you can still find virtually all the ones from the AFI list, plus, more recent stuff.

IMDb Top 250

Of that list...which looks like a great start for popular films, I have seen only about 31...and many of those by happenstance. For example, I saw "The Apartment" on an overseas flight (loved it), and "Sunset Boulevard" by accident one night channel surfing (loved it). I need to find a nice film fanatic who will make me sit down and watch about 50 movies over the course of a month in order to catch up with civilization.