Congratulations America

rimmer9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Speaking as a UK guy who loves America with all it's faults I have to say that the real winners of the current round of Primaries are the American people. Is it only 40 years since the civil rights movement? and here we have a real possibility of a Black American President. Whatever your political leanings you have to admit how far things have moved.

D

deleted213967

Turnout was record-breaking indeed among Democratic voters (finally!), far less so among Republican voters (hmmm! Why?).

I still find it a bit odd that we refer to Barack as a "black" man as his mother is white. To my knowledge, Hillary is 100% female, although many of her adversaries like to disagree...

D_Claude_Crowsfoot

Account Disabled
Media
True. My question to you is...is it a bigger deal to have a woman as president, or a black man as president? The civil rights movement began in the 60's, but women's sufferage was in 1920, which was 87 years ago.

My personal opinion, I think that having a woman as president is a great step for the US, but I don't think Hillary Clinton is the right woman.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
True. My question to you is...is it a bigger deal to have a woman as president, or a black man as president? The civil rights movement began in the 60's, but women's sufferage was in 1920, which was 87 years ago.

My personal opinion, I think that having a woman as president is a great step for the US, but I don't think Hillary Clinton is the right woman.

Electing either would be a ginormous leap for the US. Let's also not forget that a mere 50 years before women were granted suffrage here black people were owned by white people. 140 years is a long time by US history standards, but not in the grand scheme of world history. So it's absolutely huge either way.

That said, I think what's most important is not that we elect a woman or a black man, but the person who most likely make the best president. I happen to think that person is the black man and I voted for him today. But if he doesn't win the nomination, my second choice is the woman. So hopefully I'll get to have my cake and eat it too. :)

Speaking as a UK guy who loves America with all it's faults I have to say that the real winners of the current round of Primaries are the American people. Is it only 40 years since the civil rights movement? and here we have a real possibility of a Black American President. Whatever your political leanings you have to admit how far things have moved.

Rimmer, today was the first time in a long, long time that I was proud of my country. Barack won in states that if you'd told me 10 years ago would pick a black guy for President I would have waited for the punchline. Hillary won in states that if you told me 10 years ago would select our then First Lady for President I would have fallen out of my chair. And there was record turnout across the nation across every demographic... it feels great right now. :smile:

ninepointfive

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
meh.. I'm not ready to rave about obama or clinton, neither of them are mentioning the north american union, which is a really bad thing considering everyone and their dog thinks they are going to save the world or something. Haha, fat chance of that.

In my eyes, NAMBLA will have an easier time making me feel warm and fuzzy inside than the american industrial-military complex will- I mean the US Government :rolleyes: Just because a democrat president will most likely be elected that doesn't mean they will actually do any good. Clinton has already made a speech at the bilderburg group and obama is probably next, since he to is also remaining silent about north american union and our new currency (which already exists, look it up). Too bad Ron Paul doesn't have the political savy to realize that most people don't understand he represents the original ideology of the republican party, as oppose to being just another run of the mill neo-con republican pretender. He should have run as an independent or at least a democrat.

You know what's really funny, in Canada our political right is equivalent to the american left.. you guys have no clue what your missing :cool:

D

deleted213967

We can all rave about W's last ever State of The Union address at least...

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, I'm not thrilled that Monica Lewinsky's ex-boyfriend's wife is still a viable candidate. I guess we have to tolerate her for another few months.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
I still find it a bit odd that we refer to Barack as a "black" man as his mother is white. To my knowledge, Hillary is 100% female, although many of her adversaries like to disagree...

There are very few black Americans who are 100% African heritage.

It is cool that a black man may get the presidency.
It is cool that a woman may get it.
It is not so cool that the only reason these things may come to fruition is the fact that the powers that be in this country, the stockholders, are fucking scared because they can see that we are coming to a boiling point regarding scarcity and that we may be so far up the creek without a paddle thia time that innovation isn't going to do shit. Time to appease the increasingly restless masses with either a black man or a woman as president.
I would love to see either of them as president.
I am concerned that they both represent some deep seeded problems in the modern political machine that may result in eventual collapse.
But hey, when we read about America in the History books, Hilary or Obama will be remembered as a testament to America's perpetual enthusiasm and idealism.
Too bad it will probably also mention that said idealism didn't penetrate deep enough and greed eventually caused a worldwide disruption of peace that resulted in the fall of modern trade systems

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

True. My question to you is...is it a bigger deal to have a woman as president, or a black man as president? I'm 41 and a black woman. I have endured so much racism over the years it never occurred to me it could be a possibility in my time. The civil rights movement began in the 60's, but women's sufferage was in 1920, which was 87 years ago.

I'm not sure I agree with you. At this point it's really not a concern because Obama stands to win the nomination for the democratic party.

Being overseas you may not realize this but a great number of Southerners and white men nationwide hate her. Not for her poitics or healthcare plan but becasue when she was first lady she hyphenated her name and worse didn't know her place. She didn't act like a presidents wife. Apparently she was supposed to spend her time doing needlepoint and redecorating the Oval Office, or maybe buy some new dishes. :rolleyes::confused:

Turnout was record-breaking indeed among Democratic voters (finally!), far less so among Republican voters (hmmm! Why?). Maybe because their choices suck a hot tailpipe.

My great grandmother used to say that being black is like using Bryl Cream a little dab will do you. :biggrin1: According to many laws which date back to the Civil War if you are 1/16th black you are black.

Speaking of , where is his mother? Is she not well? Is she still alive?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My great grandmother used to say that being black is like using Bryl Cream a little dab will do you. :biggrin1: According to many laws which date back to the Civil War if you are 1/16th black you are black.

Speaking of , where is his mother? Is she not well? Is she still alive?

Both of his parents have passed away. His dad died in 1982, his mother in 1995.

midwestbeef

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with frizzle. The color of a persons skin or what they have, or dont have hangin between their legs should have no bearing on the presidency of the US. It would be great for either a woman or a black man to become president, but not at the expense of the policies or ideologies.

D

deleted213967

If anyone votes on a candidate based purely on race or gender, please give them a bitchslap. I think policies and ideologies are alot more important.
Indeed, but on US Senate voting records and stated ideology, from what we voters can judge, both candidates are fairly interchangeable.

For all the hoopla about the novelty of a woman and a non-white man running for president, their action plans for America hardly deviate from ages-old Democratic orthodoxy.

B_InDepth

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lots of sad people out there.. voting on superficial biasses... this is what is causing america to fall.. people are more concerned about irrelavent topics than the real issues like the economy the war etc..

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Indeed, but on US Senate voting records and stated ideology, from what we voters can judge, both candidates are fairly interchangeable.

For all the hoopla about the novelty of a woman and a non-white man running for president, their action plans for America hardly deviate from ages-old Democratic orthodoxy.

Just go for the most reliable and probably most efficient candidate then.

McCain.

D

deleted213967

Just go for the most reliable and probably most efficient candidate then.

McCain.
McCain doesn't "get" the economy. He says so himself. That's a very important policy sphere. Even our social policy is largely dependent on the health of our economy.

He also supported our embarrassing and insanely costly meddling in Iraq, MUCH more so than Hillary.

I am afraid he will more likely understand the world in old-guard militaristic terms, although I applaud his standing firmly (relatively speaking) against the religious bigots and having the guts to propose an unpopular but largely wise immigration plan.

D

deleted213967

It's sad that this is even a relevant issue.
As a symptom that our society has evolved, it is not sad at all...However I agree that it would be sad to elect a leader solely on the basis on their demographics.

I may be guilty of that myself when I dismiss McCain as "too old".