Congressman Resigns: Sent Letters to 16 Yr Old

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I too happen to be a "family values" republican too, but I sure as hell am not a pedo neither, I don't give a rats ass if he was a republican or democrat, his balls needs to be nailed to the wall big time.

I think that it's absolutely sick what he had done, anybody, and I do mean anybody, no matter who it they are, if they had done such a disgusting thing like that should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, especially those who helped pass laws against online preditord.

Pecker, I bet you are right, that boy I bet isn't the first, and I am sure that when the press is all done with this, they will have a mountain of dirt on him.

I read the transcript of his messenger with that boy, it is too damn bad that the boys mother can't do anything with a computer, personally, I think that all parents need to learn what they can about a computer, and keep track of their kids activities online, there are a number of ways they can do this, it's part of their responsiblities as parents, there is no excuse of parents ingnorance of using a computer, if they need to, they should take some classes.

Pecker said:
He's definitely a pedo and I'm glad he's out of there. I'm sure that, if the authorities want to press charges, the can dig up more dirt on this guy. This boy is probably not the first.

As for these "family values" republicans - I happen to be one - and I am not a pedophile.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
rob_just_rob said:
Oh, but this is typical. He'll go into rehab, find god, and come back more hypocritical than ever. And the fundamentalists will love him.

Exactly. That's the wonderful thing about America. With enough financial backing and the right publicist, anyone can re-invent themselves as many times as necessary.

rob_just_rob said:
I suspect this'll follow the Bush blueprint... e.g. spend your youth driving drunk, ducking the Vietnam war and experimenting with cocaine... then "recover"... and all is forgiven. (Caution: forgiveness only applies to Republicans. If you're a Democrat, you're screwed forever, even if you didn't inhale)

Correct again. Bill Clinton openly admitted experimenting with marijuana as a youth and as a result he was cast as the spawn of satan. GWB, on the other hand, was forced into admitting he'd earned himself a DUI during one of his drunk binges and the reaction was...well, boys will be boys.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Alright... for all the "family values republicans" out there:

How do you reconcile the vilification Clinton received from the Republicans for his affair, with the apparent attempt by the Republican party hierarchy to cover up Foley's flirtations with a teenager?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
jfrsndvs said:
I read the transcript of his messenger with that boy, it is too damn bad that the boys mother can't do anything with a computer, personally, I think that all parents need to learn what they can about a computer, and keep track of their kids activities online, there are a number of ways they can do this, it's part of their responsiblities as parents, there is no excuse of parents ingnorance of using a computer, if they need to, they should take some classes.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. (Parents SHOULD be supervising their kids' internet usage until they are able to purchase their own computer and internet service, don't you think?!!) It is kind of like the Michael Jackson situation (regardless of whether he is or is not a pedophile...), why did those mind fucked parents allow their teens and children to sleep over at the Neverland Valley Ranch?
Congressional pages' age should be upped to age 20. I also think that parents should know everything about their kids' life. Friends. EVERY grown up that is supervising their kids'.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
LINittanyLion said:
Abc news released one of the IM transcripts:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/BrianRoss/story?id=2509586&page=1

All I have to say on the issue is that Foley's a pedo, it has nothing to do with alcohol, and it seems to me that the kid knows exacty whats going on and is playing into it.

This made my skin crawl. There's nothing subtle about the exchanges either. I think Foley intentionally made grammatical errors, used more youthful verbiage, and generally dumbed down his responses to gain easier rapport with the young man.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
No one seems to believe me when I rant about the guys on any given federal government committee being the worst perpetrators of those they claim to police, and the worst offenders against those they claim to protect (drunken sots on alcohol/drunk driving committes, lobbyist puppets on ethics boards, flaming queens and pedophiles on "pro-marriage, family values" committees, on and on...)

That's not a rant. It's just wrong. It's a generalization that is an insult to the majority of people in public service who are well intentioned.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
mercurialbliss said:
This made my skin crawl. There's nothing subtle about the exchanges either. I think Foley intentionally made grammatical errors, used more youthful verbiage, and generally dumbed down his responses to gain easier rapport with the young man.

How very insightful of you, my dear. Of course, that insight just makes Mr. Foley look all the more disgusting and vile. Oh, how very up-in-arms this is making the whole Republican Party.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
joyboytoy79 said:
How very insightful of you, my dear. Of course, that insight just makes Mr. Foley look all the more disgusting and vile. Oh, how very up-in-arms this is making the whole Republican Party.
I don't think any political party is up-in-arms about anything unless they're reacting to media coverage, which is exactly what's happening here. Only today has Bush decided to comment on the fiasco:

LINK

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just love this:

Some, including a Washington newspaper, have called for Hastert to resign, but Bush expressed confidence in the speaker's ability to resolve the matter, calling him a "father, teacher, coach."

I wonder what Bush would have said about Foley? Maybe something like "I know him, he has the best interests of the youth of this country in mind. He's co-chair of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children, after-all." Bush seems to think that if someone is a personal friend of his, they are exempt from bad behaviour.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hung Muscle said:
That's not a rant. It's just wrong. It's a generalization that is an insult to the majority of people in public service who are well intentioned.
Whatever, dude. Make a list of the top 10 ethics violations that have occurred in the federal government, and see what their jobs are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone on a committee is corrupt slime. I'm just saying that those who are corrupt slime are generally working in a position contrary to their infractions. Not everyone on a "protecting-the-children-from-online-predators" task force is a pedophile; but more pedophiles will be want a seat on that task force, than, say, on a "truth-in-advertising" task force. I am not insulting the majority of people in public service who are well-intentioned.

A congressman tried and convicted of drunk driving? I bet he was one of the co-sponsors of an anti-drunk-driving bill. A congressman caught taking bribes? I bet he was on the ethics committee. A congressman trying to seduce a 16-year-old boy? Do you think he supported "stronger internet legislation to protect minors?"

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
joyboytoy79 said:
I just love this:

Some, including a Washington newspaper, have called for Hastert to resign, but Bush expressed confidence in the speaker's ability to resolve the matter, calling him a "father, teacher, coach."

I wonder what Bush would have said about Foley? Maybe something like "I know him, he has the best interests of the youth of this country in mind. He's co-chair of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children, after-all." Bush seems to think that if someone is a personal friend of his, they are exempt from bad behaviour.

Evidently. Morality by association. Works like a charm. :rolleyes:

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
CNN is releasing a story at this hour that Foley has revealed he was abused by a clergyman as a teen.

Of course, the odds are that it is true if he is a pedophile (most are repeating childhood molestation), but it strikes me as amazingly cynical anyway. Probably doesn't best Hastert's denunciation and declaration of "surprise" but still...

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
One of the saddest thing about this (to me) is that this would be a great opportunity to EDUCATE the American public on the horrible cycle of molestation, the truth about pedophilia and how it diverges from common misconceptions of sexual orientation.

Sadly, these "teachable moments" are never used as such.

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
so true Lex, this would be a great time to educate, unfortunately, I don't see that happening though, there are so many that are going to use this as a tool against gay men, and priests, not all gay men or priests are child molesters.

in Foley's case, I truely wonder if he really was molested by a priest as a kid, personally I think that he is just using that as a excuse, and if he infact was molested by a priest as a kid, he sure as hell is old enough to know better and that it's wrong, so in my opinion, he should be punished to the fullest, not the slightest bit of leaniency what so ever, he knew damn good and well that something like this was illegal, and yet he continued to do so, he needs to be held completely accountable for his disgusting actions.

I have heard some people saying that this "scandal" is just as bad as the "Monica" deal during the Clinton days. not even close, I won't pretend to be a big Clinton fan at all, but that deal with Monica was minor in my opinion, and as far as Keneth Starr wasting millions of our tax dollars for his investigation was unnecessary, so the man got a blowjob from someone outside of his marriage (which I think is wrong, but on a personal level though), I don't think that Clinton should have had to go through the impeachment ordeal.

anybody, and I do mean anybody, regardless if they are a republican or democrat or independant does anything like Foley had done should get their balls nailed to the wall big time.

Lex said:
One of the saddest thing about this (to me) is that this would be a great opportunity to EDUCATE the American public on the horrible cycle of molestation, the truth about pedophilia and how it diverges from common misconceptions of sexual orientation.

Sadly, these "teachable moments" are never used as such.

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This case is one of the october surprises.:biggrin1: I want to know what is coming next because the election is in November.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MORE FUEL for ol' Tony Perkins (not the good Tony Perkins either!!)

Well THIS is predictable :rolleyes: :

alexandra walker as posted at TomPaine.com said:
Florida Republican Mark Foley made sexual overtures to teenage pages over whom he had authority. To conservatives, this scandal isn't about Foley abusing his position of power or lacking impulse control. This isn't about those who were in a position to stop Foley dismissing his behavior as harmless. This is about Foley being gay. Because straight men never sexually abuse children, never sexually harass subordinates nor use their positions of power for sexual fulfillment (cough, Bill Clinton, cough).
Just like they did when the Catholic priest sexual abuse scandal broke, conservatives are trying to make the Mark Foley scandal into Exhibit A for why homosexuality is immoral. The People for the American Way reports that right-wing morality guru Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council has said of the scandal, “When you hold up tolerance and diversity, this is what you end up getting.” And that the real problem here is “the link between homosexuality and child sexual abuse ... Ignoring this reality got the Catholic Church into trouble over abusive priests, and now it is doing the same to the House GOP leadership."
As was the case with the Catholic Church, Foley's sexual orientation has nothing to do with what he did. First off, what Foley engaged in is not, as many are calling it, pedophilia. A pedophile is sexually attracted to young children. There is no evidence of this pattern of attraction with Foley. (A person attracted to postpubescent youths is more correctly called an ephebophile.) More significantly, there is no evidence to support the dangerous myth that a link exists between homosexuality and sexual abuse of children. Most known sex offenders, even if they engage in same-sex acts, are heterosexual .
Technically, Foley is guilty of violating a federal law which he co-sponsored. From my perspective, he is guilty of abusing his position of authority to gain access to a minor whom he may have been able to have perfectly legal sexual relations with in Washington, D.C (though not necessarily in the other states from which the pages were sending instant messages).
Legally, Foley may be off the hook. Morally, he is not. Pages reportedly felt harassed by Foley. His actions were predatory and abusive.
But Foley's inexcusable actions were not a result of his sexual orientation. They were a result of his poor judgment, lack of impulse control and utter inability to see how his behavior was affecting the pages whom he was soliciting. And they were the result of an old-boys' network that minimizes sexually predatory behavior—whether the victim is male or female—and chooses to protect the status quo over protecting victims. In this way, the Foley scandal is very much like the Catholic Church scandal. Because what is so heartbreaking about the Catholic Church scandal is how responsible authorities failed to stop predatory behavior even when they became aware of it.
As for statements from Foley's lawyer that Foley was sexually abused himself and has an alcohol problem, we know the falsity of arguments that alcohol or a previous history of being abused causes someone to sexually abuse others. According to the Center for Sex Offender Management, the vast majority of those who are sexually abused do not go on to abuse others. And alcohol at best only increases the likelihood that someone already predisposed to commit a sexual assault will act upon those impulses.

No, whether or not Foley is gay, had too much to drink or was abused by a member of the clergy has little bearing on the morality of his actions. As PFAW's Ralph Neas said in a statement issued yesterday, the anti-gay bigots are trying to shift the focus of the Foley scandal from where it should be—on Foley's personal responsibility and the GOP's lack of accountability:
This is about Mark Foley engaging in extremely inappropriate behavior with minors, and about the failure of House Republican leaders to take action even though his behavior was reportedly common enough knowledge that pages were warned to watch out for Foley. It’s about Foley’s hypocrisy in making a name for himself pushing legislation against the very activities he was engaged in. And it’s about the hypocrisy of party leaders who proclaim themselves the guardians of values but who failed a basic test when doing the right thing might have cost them a bit of political power.​

- Alexandra Walker

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
For a group that throws such pitched fits about how stupid fundies are for not recognizing how natural homosexuality is and marriage rights, etc., y'all sure are a judgemental bunch.

In quite a few other cultures and eras relationships between adolescents and adults are/were quite common and actually considered healthy. Y'all sound just like Rev. What'shisfuck in your shrill self-righteous denouncements. You just draw your lines to the left of his. He thinks two 50 year old men is disgusting. You think a 50 year old man and a sixteen year old man is disgusting.

Furthermore, I think this whole deal may wind up backfiring and blowing up in the democrats' face. If it turns out that democratic interests were privy to the situation and timed its public release for political reasons it could get ugly.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Shelby said:
For a group that throws such pitched fits about how stupid fundies are for not recognizing how natural homosexuality is and marriage rights, etc., y'all sure are a judgemental bunch.

In quite a few other cultures and eras relationships between adolescents and adults are/were quite common and actually considered healthy. Y'all sound just like Rev. What'shisfuck in your shrill self-righteous denouncements. You just draw your lines to the left of his. He thinks two 50 year old men is disgusting. You think a 50 year old man and a sixteen year old man is disgusting.

Furthermore, I think this whole deal may wind up backfiring and blowing up in the democrats' face. If it turns out that democratic interests were privy to the situation and timed its public release for political reasons it could get ugly.

Shelby,

While i fully believe you are entitled to your opinion, i think it is rather misdirected. Many of us (myself included) have mentioned that the age of sexul consent in DC is 16. There have been only a handful of proclamations that the activities he engaged in are "disgusting." The real issue is that the man used his status of power to solicit sex from people in his workplace. This is a sexual harrassment case, not a pedophilia case. What makes it worse, for us, is that this man claims to have felt that sexual encounters with youth are wrong, and indeed drafted legislation that stated as much. He broke his own law.

I agree with you, that this scandal is as much a scandal about withholding crucial information for the interests of political gain. Anyone, republican democrat or otherwise, who knew about this man's actions should have come forward with that information WHEN THEY FOUND OUT. I do not defend the democrat party for waiting for a politically crucial moment to persue this story. At the same time, I don't defend the republican party for trying to bury the story, either. To me, it speaks of inherent corruption in our current political set-up, and a strong need for drastic changes.