Connection between democratic leadership and poverty

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How about the connection between the Republican party and the complete implosion of our country? =) A city is small potatoes... let's zoom out a little.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Contrary to your belief system, republicans are not responsible for everything that goes wrong in our economy. You imply that I am insane because I post pro-republican. However, you are spewing utterly hate-based anti-republican sentiment with every furious keystroke; blaming everything from the death of Wall Street to measles on the republicans.

Is that what you consider sane, rational thinking?

I am angry, yes... I have REASON to be...

So do you...

How can you explain your failure to be outraged at criminal stupidity?

Treason?
Corruption?

Why the hell do you THINK Cheney - who had the top secret energy confab with oil exec, wants permission to destroy his records?

What the hell is the matter with you? How badly do they have to fuck up before they lose your support?

And, no we don't have to argue for hours over who made the new "products" that caused this.

Prior to 2001, Those products were ILLEGAL.
They were illegal for a reason... because they result in unscrupulous and dangerous lending.

The REPUBLICANS made them legal.

and worse- the republicans have been hard selling the idea of free markets for 25 years.

THis is not the first de-regulation disaster to come of it.

So- there you have it...
This is ENTIRELY the result of a Republican initiative.

Entirely the result of republicans having TOTAL power to enact their initiatives.

And you are a fool who can not acknowledge the damage done by your favorite team.

The republicans are at fault.

Period.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I guess my question regarding this is - How far down the list of the Poorest cities in America do you have to go before you reach Republican leadership?

You still don’t get it. :rolleyes:

You’re using only one year of poverty statistics, yet using decades of political rule to justify your claims. That makes no sense at all. At this rate, it doesn’t matter how many cities you cite because your information is not conclusive enough.

Were the cities listed in your top ten in similar positions 10 years ago? 20 years ago? If you’re going to blame decades of Democratic rule as to why these cities have the highest poverty rates, then what you need to do is show a history of poverty rates for these cites throughout their Democratic Rule. Here, I’ll get you started: United States Poverty Map at Visualizing Economics

I’m sure if you research back, you’ll find that the current top ten cites weren’t always in the top ten, and that some cities under Republican Rule also charted high in previous years. That is, if you’re willing to educate yourself about the true state of our nation and where it’s been going. But from my angle, it looks like you’re willing to call a glass of yellow liquid with ice cubes and a straw a cup of lemonade, without even realizing it could still be urine.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You need a statistics class... your sample is flawed.

Note that this example doesn't draw from 10 random cities where democratic mayors and poverty are married together. It takes the 10 worst poverty-stricken cities. How is the sample flawed?

If I used 3 cities, you would want 10. I used 10, now you want 300.

Its clear that if the data shows any type of weakness in Democratic Party leadership, the sample is flawed.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You still don’t get it. :rolleyes:

You’re using only one year of poverty statistics, yet using decades of political rule to justify your claims. That makes no sense at all. At this rate, it doesn’t matter how many cities you cite because your information is not conclusive enough.

Its this simple, Vinyl: If you look at the 10 worst cities in the U.S. in terms of poverty level - you can see that there is a common denominator which is long-term democratic leadership.

Its futile to continue to research this topic, as any amount of data will not be viewed with any objectivity; instead it would be met with excuses, technicalities, and topic changes.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its futile to continue to research this topic, as any amount of data will not be viewed with any objectivity; instead it would be met with excuses, technicalities, and topic changes.

Now you are starting to understand how the people on the politics thread deal with facts :rolleyes:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Below is an intriguing connection between Democratic mayoral footholds and extreme poverty.

The 10 U.S. cities with the highest poverty rates:

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican
mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati, OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland, OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St Louis, MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;
Milwaukee, WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia, PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark, NJ(10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing
over and over again and expecting different results."

It is the disadvantaged who habitually elect Democrats --- yet are still
disadvantaged.

Your Einstein quote is completely out of context because you don't really understand what you are talking about. You can also cross off Philadelphia, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Detroit if you are trying to be at all scientific. Those said cities had poverty problems long before they had their long string of democratic mayors.

Your list of ten cities is down to only four of you really want to be honest.

You make no mention of the city councils or the state senate make-up of these cities and the states that they belong to. The state senator that represents the district that the cities are located in will have far more power over the state's resources than the city's mayor.

What have Republicans ever done to help poor people? How can they help poor people when they are busy giving away our tax dollars to the ultra rich and waging MEGA expensive wars? Can there be any money left over to help the unfortunate?

The problem is, that you don't understand poverty 'cause your white ass has never had to be discriminated in a job interview before you ever opened up your mouth. You've never been turned down for anything because of your race.

Every single city you've mentioned has a high ethnic population. You are really just pointing the finger at minorities and blaming them for their own poverty. You have absolutely no right to do that, you have NO IDEA WHAT IT IS TO BE BROWN OR BLACK IN THIS COUNTRY.

If you wanna talk about poor people, talk about the dirt poor white people of the South in areas like Mississippi and Alabama. They are the ones of which republicans speak of when they refer to people that just don't try hard enough to make it out of their poverty. They face NO racism, No discrimination and have every advantage that they country offer's to able human beings.

So, why are they still poor? They have TOTAL Republican leadership... Republican U.S. Senators, Republican representatives in the house, Republican governors, and by and large, Republican mayors. Hell, even most of the Democrats are conservatives as well. What is the problem Star?

Once poverty starts... it is nearly impossible to change and that is the reality of being poor. You don't just wake up one day and decide to become succesful... poverty breeds depression and low self esteem which are the two mindsets that are COMPLETELY antithetical to becoming succesful!!!!

People who live in poverty also live in areas that have low property values that generate very low tax revenues. This reality makes the schools that these poor kids go to quite pathetic. These pathetic schools RARELY churn out any diamonds and are just places to keep the kids off of the street. These schools need one thing for their children to achieve the kind of education that can lift oneself out of poverty.... MONEY, and people like you run around telling everyone that we spend too much on our inner city schools and we should all have to pay for school vouchers so a handful of kids can go to the most expensive secondary schools.

Poor schools lead to poor children... is this not plain for you to understand? Republicans can't solve ANY problems... you guys are the problem MAKERS, not the problem SOLVERS.

Show me ANY instance of Republicans genuinely helping poor people (I don't wanna hear about you volunteering in a soup kitchen, I wanna hear about Republican LEGISLATION that has helped poor people get ahead...)

Last edited:

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
Starinvestor, you have done nothing in this thread but show you don't understand the correlation/causation fallacy.

I know your brain says "look at it, it's the Democrats' fault!", but the data isn't supporting that. You need to prove your point here.

I could also point out that 9/10 of those used to have big manufacturing employers, and now don't. And you know what? That doesn't prove anything either, it just presents the same fallacy you did.

They also all have vowels in their names.

durks

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Beautifully put Tripod.

Reading through this thread I have some encouragement that the American government will finally claw its way out of the mess its created. There are some very thoughtful intelligent people on here obviously willing to share their views.

Republican leadership is not about economic ideology, but brazen fear mongering. I don't mean to sound biased against conservatism or even free market, cos I'm not at all, but in the instance of the Republican government of America the level of overt manipulation for the interests of a few is disgraceful. All while purporting to serve the same constituents they're attacking. Point in case - Democratic leadership = poverty :)

Good Luck

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
10 Poorest states in America:

New Mexico $40,629
Montana $40,627
Tennessee $40,315
Kentucky $39,372
Louisiana $39,337
Alabama $38,783
Oklahoma $38,770
Arkansas $36,599
West Virginia $35,059
Mississippi $34,473
source

All of those states are red states. They vote Republican for governor and president.

Clearly the Republicans are at fault. I have exactly as much proof as you do.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Its this simple, Vinyl: If you look at the 10 worst cities in the U.S. in terms of poverty level - you can see that there is a common denominator which is long-term democratic leadership.

I laid out clearly what I wanted to see. Before I was ever going to agree with you, I asked you to list a history of poverty rates from previous years in order to prove whether or not Democratic rule in these cities was the main cause. You refuse to do this. Therefore, in my eyes you're once again talking a load of BS. Unlike you, I need various sources to validate a statement. Not just some random finding on a conservative-biased website.

If you can't put up some credible backup sources, then don't bother continuing this pointless argument. And I'd watch out for that drink in front of you. It smells funny. :rolleyes:

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Democrats need inter-city poverty to survive that's the only way to keep their base.
Every election they throw them a bone and say if we're elected were going to help you and it's all the rich peoples fault and to show you how much we care we're going to tax the rich and create more social programs so you'll need the government more and make it harder for you to get out of poverty.

It's the same reason the Dems have never wanted a real Illegal Immigration policy they keep telling Illegal's...see it's the republicans who want to send you back and keep you out...(which is the biggest lie)
All they want is to increase their base without looking out whats best for the OUR country.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Democrats need inter-city poverty to survive that's the only way to keep their base.
Every election they throw them a bone and say if we're elected were going to help you and it's all the rich peoples fault and to show you how much we care we're going to tax the rich and create more social programs so you'll need the government more and make it harder for you to get out of poverty.

It's the same reason the Dems have never wanted a real Illegal Immigration policy they keep telling Illegal's...see it's the republicans who want to send you back and keep you out...(which is the biggest lie)
All they want is to increase their base without looking out whats best for the OUR country.

I'm going to steal some of your ideas, and post the following (if you don't mind):

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm going to steal some of your ideas, and post the following (if you don't mind):

I don't mind, I'm going to repost what you added to my post.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That seems to tie in with the data quite well. If the Democrats can perpetuate the need for welfare and public assistance, they will retain power for long periods of time. The Democratic media machine has left an indelible mark on the psyche of the poor - that Republicans are responsible for their economic status, and the only ones that can save them are the Democrats. Only -- they never save them.

Similar to Middle Eastern teachings that the West is evil and must be destroyed. The parallels are fascinating.

Interesting observation, ripsrips.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No offense intended--but a Mayor has little to nothing to do with the wealth or poverty of a city. For example pick a "wealthy" city--what did the Mayor do to cause this "wealth"? Nothing---the same goes for poor cities--they have no control over the financial situtation of the people. They can help a little by working to get more employers to move to area--but George Bush is going to screw the public no matter where you live so it doesn't really matter

I think the presumption is that Democrats serve the poor and our the only solution. And per the OP's post (it wasn't on population size) was to take the top 10 most poverty stricken cities and look at the leadership. It's a fair question to ask...

Many of these cities remind me of the mother who keeps (or pretends) to keep their children sick.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't mind, I'm going to repost what you added to my post.

I somewhat agree here. You have the basic premise down, but are missing some key points, for instance Democrats need inter-city poverty to survive that's the only way to keep their base.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
When you take information from another site it is common courtesy to cite your source so we can all judge it's veracity. Otherwise you are just speaking out of your ass.

Poorest cities all have Democratic mayors - snopes.com

10 Poorest states in America:

source

All of those states are red states. They vote Republican for governor and president.

Clearly the Republicans are at fault. I have exactly as much proof as you do.

sinwin you have proof from US census statistics. starinvestor does not. What he has posted is idle gossip from the snopes message board's "rumor has it" forum. :rolleyes:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay