Conservative "Christians" in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Harry_Crax, Nov 14, 2011.

1. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

2. D_Harry_Crax

3. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I personally feel the best way to deal with all these totally unaware people in conservative states is simply not to travel to those places and communicate this to their Tourism Agencies.

4. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Yet another example causing me to marvel that ANY person who is homosexual would choose to ascribe to a religion that specifically cites their orientation as an abomination...

There are Other Magical Sky Daddies that people can pretend are their best friends that are less overt in their fostering of hatred and violence than christianity.

Or... take a big step forward into the adult world of not believing that shit ignorant goat herders had the world all figured out long before folks knew the Earth went around the sun.

Religion is not moral. It is not defensible. It is nothing but a means for making one group feel special and entitled over other groups. It actively foments hatred and violence, and strives to exert an authoritarian tyranny on those who do not willingly submit to its dictates.

READ the damn bible. Jesus was a dick. And, yes, he hated fags.
    Its no surprise that those who believe in this nonsense search thru scripture for rationales to endorse their own prejudices, jealousies, covetousness and hatreds.

5. SpoLLe

Gold Member

Oh boy, here we go

6. poultrygeist

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I find it beyond ironic that this occurred in the town of "Fruitland". Not kidding about this. It was also the pastor's son apparently that was showing up for services.

As it turns out, there's more to this story. Apparently the pastor has been arrested, but not for bashing....get this...for reportedly stealing copper wiring or something like that. Sad that in this day and age you can get justice for theft but apparently if you're gay, not for assault and battery.

Bashing is everywhere. Irrespective of the geography. I'm all for everyone in the LGBT community exercising freedom to bear arms, take martial arts training or whatever steps appropriate to be able to defend their civil liberties.

7. hairyjockwla

hairyjockwla Member

+1

8. houtx48

Gold Member

You said it, Phil.........

9. poultrygeist

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This goes beyond mere "conservative" Christians--fanatical or extremist is a more appropriate descriptive term. I know a lot of conservative Christians who wouldn't dream of that type of treatment of anyone and would certainly back up this guy pressing charges. This pastor just sounds like an extremist homophobe hiding behind his religion as an excuse to rally a posse and start a fight.

10. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to make excuses for this trogladite "pastor" or his "church," but it seems to me that this also appears to involve some kind of father/son pissing contest. To show up at his father's "church" boyfriend in tow was a direct challenge to his father with a fairly predictable outcome. I write this as a non-religious (from a very religious family) gay man who has been out longer than most members here have been breathing.

11. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Actually, Jesus makes no mention of homosexuality and if you go back to the original languages the wording used and concepts talked about are not exactly what the English translations convey. The Bible thumpers's minds would blow off if they knew half of what the Bible really speaks about if they would study it for themselves in original languages, but that would require them using their brains and not taking things literally and not blindly following their ministers' intepretations.

12. ex1lepr0

ex1lepr0 New Member

Albums:
    The thing I've always had with Christians hating gays is WHY? I was hardcore Christian when I was really young, and I read the Bible a lot. WHERE does it say that you should hate gays? "Oh, but in that part right before Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed, that crowd of guys wanted to have sex with the angels, THERE'S the evidence!" NO!!! That had nothing to do with homosexuality and more to do with RAPE! Seriously, an entire hatred based on some obscure reference with no specific message...:frown:

This entire business just sickens me. I'm not Christian anymore, but I think the original intent was to welcome ALL of God's children. :mad:

13. D_Harry_Crax

Exactly right. In fact, one of the major reasons for Protestantism is Christians having a direct relationship with their god (as opposed via a Catholic priest), which required church services and the Bible to be "in the vernacular" (German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, etc.) rather than in Latin. (Indeed, the Catholic Church stuck with mass in Latin until the 1960s!)

14. ex1lepr0

ex1lepr0 New Member

Albums:
    *sigh* I hate those silly ideas that being gay is "wrong". I feel like a criminal in my own house, cuz I have to hide from my own parents...:frown1:

15. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Look... I have nothing against 'christians'- most are decent people who simply believe this nonsense because they were indoctrinated with it when they were defenseless children, and because all their peers and their own fears of death pressure them to keep believing in ti long after they should be aware enough to recognize it as am authoritarian scam.

Religion is the culprit. Because of its framework, it actually encourages those with issues of hatred and bias to claim their hatreds are endorsed by religious authority.

And because all these christians claim belief in a book written by iron age goat herders, Yes, in fact, their source of religious authority is Chock Full of backward, violent, hatefilled tribal stupidity that has no relevance to the modern age.

Sorry, but the vast majority of folks calling themselves Christians have NEVER read the bible. Even the most devout and extremist of them have mostly just cherry picked thru the bible and read a small handful of passages out of context that support their worldview.
    This is as true of those who believe in a kindly Jesus as of those who believe God hates fags.

And, I should point out, this is no different than ANY OTHER RELIGION. All 'believers' of all stamps show the same general ignorance of their own 'faith' and its history.

Its JUST a club. A social set, A group that you can belong to to make yourself feel both special, and one of the crowd of fellow special people.

All religions were founded in the need for tribal peoples to be able to justify horrific violence against Other tribes.

Religion was invented as a tool for getting folks to agree on common actions that might, in a primitive world, help them survive as a group.

That is why they all believe THEIR imaginary friend is the One True imaginary friend and all other peoples are mistaken.

I understand the need for belonging, for having a social circle... even the need for believing that there is more to life than just being born to die...

But in today's world, where actual science performs real miracles... like this machine you are reading this on right now... and religion does not one damn thing for anyone, but separate them in to bickering and warring factions... you would think that folks who are already brave enough to buck the social trend and come out as gay would have the further sand to realize that there is nothing in old time religion but hate and exclusion.

Nothing against christian people... or muslim people... or any people...
    again... most of them are decent people...

but religion enables decent people to commit, or tolerate, indecent acts.

How many planes need to fly into buildings, how many abortion doctors need to be assassinated (in their Church!) how many buses full of Sikhs, or Hindus need t be set afire before folks wake up to the horror that is belief in ancient magical nonsense.

16. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Not true.
    Jesus specifically states in a direct quote that every jot and tittle of the 'old law' MUST be observed.

That means than Leviticus still stands.
    This ONE QUOTE from Jesus himself was one of the primary reasons early Christians Included the old testament in the bible at all.

Sorry... but the Folks who think that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism condemn homosexuality are, in fact, the only ones actually understanding their scripture for what it actually says.

Everyone else is dissembling and trying to defend the indefensible, because they have invested this shit with belief and don't want to think they've been rubes all their lives.

These religions ALSO endorse genocide, slavery, infanticide, child murder, rape, and almost any kind of war in God's name.

All the Abrahamic faiths begin with Abraham. And Abraham Begins with the utter willingness to commit the murder of his own son, if God asks him to.

Thus, ALL these faiths are founded on the primary idea that Morals hold only insofar as 'God' or those speaking for God, tell you to disregard them.
    The lesson is clear... thou shalt not commit murder... and, BTW, when God tells you to annihilate another tribe, its not murder... When God tells you to sleep with your best friend the King's wife, its not infidelity...

religion is the belief that your imaginary friend has the power to suspend ethical treatment for anyone not in your club.

big surprise that the ones acting like the biggest assholes all claim religion as their guiding force.

#16 Phil Ayesho, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  17. 1Cody

1Cody Active Member

I agree this was a father/son pissing contest. If the dad wants to whip his son's ass for being gay, it should be one on one. But a true Pastor father, wouldn't be demanding that a bunch of people "sic, em". Therefore, is this really a Christian?

18. ex1lepr0

ex1lepr0 New Member

Albums:

Good point.

19. Frnkd213

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is when religion is EVIL plain and simple.
    however grouping "religion" into this category is also evil, as the end is justified by the means.

If one cannot recognize evil that would be even more of a concern. you don't need religion to have hate or do evil acts onto others.

However as I live in America I hope that these evil doers: pastors, followers, non-belivers in religion, can open their eyes to the hypocrisy of their ways.

I'm not christian nor non-religious but I do believe that there is good and evil and no middle way. Acts are black and white, no grays or inbetween. You either win or loose. Its either good or bad, however, things can be worst or better but again thats in relations to the result of a good or evil act. the good could be worst or the evil could be worst. The good act could be better and the evil act could be better (or more evil?)

I believe that people need to take a stand on issues, it doesnt matter what that stand is for. being wishy washy or indecisive only lead to evil doers taking advantage them. These are the people that can be easily be led by evil. For some reason "good" people that i have met have a higher moral ground religious based or not and they recognize evil and denounce it. So much more can be said on this topic.

anyway my thoughts. hope it stirs more.

20. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Jesus also said that he came to replace the old law, but when you go back to the Hebrew, what it says in Leviticus isn't what it's been translated to say into the English about homosexuality as we know it today. There wasn't even a word for it. Jesus actually even healed the boy lover of the Roman centurion. The word that is translated from Greek as "son" or "child" is not the word that meant offspring, but is the word that means the boy that the Romans mentored and had relations with, even though they were married. If Jesus hated gays, he wouldn't have been healing them. This is where translations have been sanitized and misused for certain agendas.

I'm in total agreement with other posters that religion has been used for evil and am against it. People like this minister and Fred Phelps are pure evil and are not Christian, but the Christian church is nothing like Jesus would want it, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted