Conservative MP: I dont want to sit with a different class of people

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Tory's fury over second-class travel - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

New Conservatives? Yeah right. Luckily for the party, he is retiring so they can say what they want about him. "He is out of touch", "a fool".

All this shows is that the Conservative party have not changed. Posh Bastards then, posh bastards now. Anyone else taking a trip to the seaside this weekend? :biggrin1:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not to make light of this, but this is my favourite part of the report:

"A veteran backbencher and former member of the Conservative Monday Club, Sir Nicholas is no stranger to controversy. Last November, he was accused of slapping the backside of Labour MP Natascha Engel."

:wavey:

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He's a prat. He shouldn't have said it.

But have you travelled second class recently? The last one I was on had a breast feeding mother oppposite me, baby changed on the table right where I was sitting. Oh and my return journey had half a dozen ladettes, drunk (or drugged) - one of them pulled her top up showing her tits and ran through the carriage shouting "rapist" at every man, cheered on by her friends. I can't afford first class. But I am seriously considering it next time. There is nothing wrong with the seats or the physical quality of second class accommodation - it is the people.

We need a proper debate on such issues. The idea of our MPs not travelling 1st class is barking. I want my MP to travel as necessary and to do work while travelling, and realistically she needs to travel first class to do this. The problem is the class of people you get in second class. Yes it was a tactless thing to say. Maybe he should have said "type" not "class". The type I saw was selfish, thoughtless, inconsiderate, offensive and made my trip pretty miserable. And no I didn't get any work done.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
I take the standard class, which i assume to be 2nd class. I have had terrible experiances on some. But these tended to be on shorter trips from woking to london. On longer journeys from london to Manchester or Newquay, for example, i have never had these issues. This is irrelevent though.

The behaviour of the people is a matter for the company. The MP should have complained about the companies inability to police its carriages. Its the way he went about it that pissed me off.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes he went about it all wrong - it was a stupid thing to say. I would like to see the train companies police what they call "standard" class better (and call it second class - that's what it is!) but it is hard to see how they could win. Breast feeding a baby is legal (even if it is happening just inches away across a train table). Changing a baby on the table is pretty ghastly but no one, just no one dare say anything to a mother. Issues around a drunk woman flashing her tits and shouting "rapist" are pretty serious. Okay I had a particularly lousy journey, but screaming kids, smells, drunks, overcrowding are all pretty common. And the brutal truth is that the problems are the people.

S

superbot

Tory's fury over second-class travel - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

New Conservatives? Yeah right. Luckily for the party, he is retiring so they can say what they want about him. "He is out of touch", "a fool".

All this shows is that the Conservative party have not changed. Posh Bastards then, posh bastards now. Anyone else taking a trip to the seaside this weekend? :biggrin1:
Don't blame him one bit.I nearly always pay the extra to go first class,some of the people you get in standard class are ghastly.Bit of a tired old arguement trying to suggest that standard class='salt of the earth hard working ordinary folk!' whereas first class=good for nothing lazy right wing toffs!'......Stereotypes,stereotypes,stereotypes!!

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Winterton's comments were a stupid own goal. But there is a sensible political point lurking behind his outburst.

Labour want us all to travel second class, by train and in life. Calling it "standard class" is a political act from compliant railway companies. Labour have followed the doctrine of class envy to the extreme where they have made us all poorer. The enormous increase in the numbers living in poverty under thirteen years of Labour is shocking. So is the money we will all pay in reduced income/benefits and increased tax to pay back Labour's monstrous defecit. Labour have betrayed the poor and indeed all in the UK.

By contrast the Conservatives want us all to be "Posh Bastards" travelling first class - you too Lemon. It isn't fundamentally a matter of cost - it is about changing people's attitudes. Our second class railway carriages would be de facto first class if people acted first class. Conservatives offer us all a way to move forwards out of the slough of despond of Labour failure.

I think he couldn't have put it across in a worse way.

I think the 'different class of people' comment is a different matter to whether first or second class is better for business travel.

Probably first class would be more suitable if you're gna be doing office work on the train, no matter who you are. Loads of people pay their own travel into work tho (admittedly MPs have to travel a long way), so I don't see why he can't chip in the extra, if he wants to upgrade to first class...I'm guessin' he's not exactly skint.

I agree tho that standard class could do with being moitored more carefully. The Gov wants more ppl on public transport, which is fine (and rail travel has been at its highest level for 40 years), but they have to make it possible for the companies to cope with the extra ppl. The Gov is only just granting the lengthier contracts that would make it viable, and still - as far as I know - is vetoing companies' requests to allow extra rolling stock/carriages and services to be put on.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
If he wants First Class, then how come he doesn't simply pay for it himself?

Pay for yourself?????? :rolleyes:

Winterton is an anachronism of the glory tory boy days under Thatcher.

It is disingenuous to say that he is representative of anything else.

Now Gordon Clown being an overbearing Bully - that is more newsworthy, surely?

D_Helmer Heighballs

Experimental Member
Media
what a nob. but then brown is incompetent, i mean who sells the countrie's gold reserves when gold is at an all time LOW!!!! and now were taxed down the pisshole to make up the shortfall.
i wil again refuse to vote this year as i believe the elections are fixed, even if they werent both parties will line the pockets of the rich as the working class (ME) gets shafted.
fuck it fuck em, there all bastards!!!!

sorry bout the rant, and ill prob end up voting lib dem, but there amateurs too, any1 want to start a party with me, based around fairness and equality for all full stop. no war, instead we secure national interests abroad by treating other countries with respect. Increasing sentences for murder and rape, and legalising cannabis so that we can regulate and tax it. Oh and sharing of all technologies (except millitary) particularly agriculture technology.

just a thought but do you all think that politicians have very small penises (explains browns mood) and thats why they like to fuck with people?

peace

D_Ted Riding Hooded

Experimental Member
Media
what a nob. but then brown is incompetent, i mean who sells the countrie's gold reserves when gold is at an all time LOW!!!! and now were taxed down the pisshole to make up the shortfall.
i wil again refuse to vote this year as i believe the elections are fixed, even if they werent both parties will line the pockets of the rich as the working class (ME) gets shafted.
fuck it fuck em, there all bastards!!!!

sorry bout the rant, and ill prob end up voting lib dem, but there amateurs too, any1 want to start a party with me, based around fairness and equality for all full stop. no war, instead we secure national interests abroad by treating other countries with respect. Increasing sentences for murder and rape, and legalising cannabis so that we can regulate and tax it. Oh and sharing of all technologies (except millitary) particularly agriculture technology.

just a thought but do you all think that politicians have very small penises (explains browns mood) and thats why they like to fuck with people?

peace

You mean you get to vote?? Heaven help us!!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Civil Service travel First Class.

Well, only above certain grades - and it's increasingly exeptional for other than the most senior staff.

Her joke was about sharks fancying a chinese at Morecambe Bay. We tell sick jokes.

In a rare agreement with Jason; even though his [Winterton's] observations are broadly on point, he [Winterton] remains a prat.

For certain groups of people, certain things (even if based in truth) are simply best left unsaid. Just be grateful third class no longer exists! :rolleyes:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just be grateful third class no longer exists! :rolleyes:
I have news.... On the lines round here there are three kinds of seats. There are coaches with five seats across a carriage, and then there are carriages with four seats across a carriage. The two types seem to appear slightly randomly making up a block of four the same in an eight coach train. So its important to check both ends to get a good seat. The coaches are open end to end with glass partitions at the doors, making short sections either end. Some of these have red coloured seats which are first class. They are the same size as the blue second class ones, but of course the redness is more conducive to calm. The third class carriages also sport the red second class size seats for first class.

Generally I quite enjoy the trains. The last one a group of young guys got on and argued about how one of them had got cum on his face. It was a bit late at night. On a previous occasion it was rush hour so I sat on the floor reading my book. Another guy got out his laptop and worked on something on the floor opposite me. Most city types probably feel over dressed for sitting on floors, but I dont like standing and Im not a city type. Generally there is no problem gettting a seat just as good as first class if you travel off peak (and MPs keep very strange hours). At rush hour you'd be paying for having one, but I havnt checked to see if that really works. I doubt they have a system to make sure you get a seat if you buy a first class ticket. Why would they? A ticket doesnt even guarantee there will be space to squeeze onto the train.

I always thought that giving politicians free first class tickets was just a freeby they get in return for the government subsidy. Might as well pay first class fares, its just a slightly different way of handing over that subsidy.

The Gov is only just granting the lengthier contracts that would make it viable, and still - as far as I know - is vetoing companies' requests to allow extra rolling stock/carriages and services to be put on.
Thats curious. I heard the company refused to run extra trains because they would have to pay to run them. The same number of people in more trains=less profit.

Last edited:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Try getting on a rush hour train from London Bridge.

Or any number of Tube lines ... although rather than third class, it's more ... cattle class (although cattle travel better - even if typically only one way).

Still, compared to some places! For me what renders it unacceptable is less the overcrowding than the cost - and at least LU and Network rail have not (yet) resorted to shovers ... a la Tokyo!