Considering Selling my LIFE on EBAY? Help! Any thought!

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by matt121matt121, May 4, 2009.

1. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok this is going to sound crazy, but I have to at least throw it out and see what what you guys think.

So recently my life has been really stuck in one place and I keep trying to get a new start though its really hard when I feel like some of my options are limited by the amount of stuff I have and by a lack of cash.

To begin with up until the end of January I was living in Indiana, and then as a mostly family move I relocated to South Florida, though there are more opportunities here than in Indiana, its still not ideal, and I definitely want to go back to Australia as I studied abroad there back in 2004 and definitely want to be able to move back and live there for at least a few years if not the rest of my life, as I feel like at the moment I don't really have much going for me here in the USA, especially after the events of this past week. Now that I have to start my career search over again from scratch due to an incident that was completely out of my control.

So the question is, what do you think about selling my life on ebay? not like my family or myself or anything, just my material possetions at least all but the bare minimum (like say one or two suit cases, and maybe a small storage locker of mementos) and then using this money to go on the backpacking trip of a lifetime and to find a job and accomodations to live more permanetly in Australia.

I've heard of people doing this, getting rid of like everything they own to just be free of it all. If anyone is super proficient on ebay let me know, as I would definatly probably need some tips to get it all worked out the easiest way possible.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Daxe

Daxe Member

If you are doing it to take the trip of a lifetime do it. If you are doing it to escape your problems they can find you anywhere. Take care of them first. Then do it:smile:

3. Dooky

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    what he said. although it is a bit hypocritical for me to agree... :/

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Excellent Advice! :cool:

5. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't really think I would be doing it to ESCAPE any problems, I mean really my biggest problem at the moment is being Unemployed again (after my 4 day career in the field of Animal Training), I don't really have a big family anymore, and I haven't really yet gotten many friends here so its not like I'd be running away from them.

Now if I was contemplating this same thing back in like September/October of last year then I would have to admit that I would have been doing it to Escape from issues that I'd been unable to deal with, but luckily the move to South Florida, enabled me to regain some type of perspective of my life, and get away from the problem causer, so now my life can be back to what I need and I've been trying to work real hard to prevent my remaining family members to use me as a replacement for the Problem causer. I know this is all real general but I really don't want to broadcast absolutely every aspect of my life in a totally public forum.

6. Fredro

Fredro New Member

I've never had a "problem causer" make me want to leave and go to another continent. I have a hard time relating to this.

How are you going to cope with having absolutely nothing after the "trip of a lifetime"? I also don't think that the government of Australia is going to just let you stay there without going through the proper channels? There are immigration rules and laws and there are going to be a lot of hidden expenses involved in immigrating to a foreign country.

I can see moving to another land because you are attracted to the foreign place. After all, that's what made America great. Perhaps a better scenario would be to follow the following plan:

1. Sell possessions
    2. Take account of your monetary assets
    3. Take some time to plan on immigrating to Australia
    4. Take account of your monetary assets
    5. Properly immigrate to Australia
    6. Take account of your monetary assets
    7. Find employment there (do you need a work-visa to work there as a foreign national?)
    8. Spend some time getting stabilized there and get some money into your savings
    9. Take account of your monetary assets
    10. Plan for the back packing "trip of a lifetime" in 2 or 3 years

I am not knocking youth here but at 25 years of age, things might not be as cut and dried as they appear. Better to think a little more conservatively and get into a stable and productive situation BEFORE you squander everything on a dream to see koalas and kangaroos.

I'm 45 now. I realized sometime between the ages of 25 and 30 that I was never going to be independently wealthy. People have to work. They have to hold down a job. They have to become self supportive and only then they can become a happy member of society. The things you crave in your life WILL come if you work hard enough for it. Just don't expect to chunk it all away and hop on a plane to a different land and expect everything to be healed once there.

I know I sound like a sopping wet blanket but you will find that the biggest deal breaker in life is the lack of money. Unless your plan to sell everything on Ebay is going to let you put about $50,000+ into the bank, I honestly don't see a feasible way this plan is going to work. If you spend everything on plane fare getting to Australia, you'll likely be standing in a bread line once you get there.

CRIKEY! Best of luck to ya, mate!

#6 Fredro, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. rusty__

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    take ya time mate australia aint going anywhere!! We will still be here for some time to come. Just take ya time and dont rush

8. wallyj84

Gold Member

I'm an American living overseas. It's a lot of fun and can be a great experience, but you have to be careful. You might not be able to find work in Australia and even if you do get work, you might not find life there to be as fun as you had hoped.

If you're really interested in going overseas and making money, and are white with a BA, I would suggest Asia. You can make a lot of money in China and Taiwan as an English teacher. They require no experience or teaching skill but pay you, comparatively, a ton of money.

9. avg_joe

Gold Member

I guess Australia is the best place to retire.

10. Dr. Algonquin

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm contemplating something slightly similar except I'd be staying in the US and don't really have anything worth selling on eBay. Well a couple things but they wouldn't have much impact on my funds. Now that I've finished school I don't have anything tying me down here, have a job but I should be able to get a better one (economy not withstanding) and I've way past time for me to move out on my own. I could just get an apartment around here but I really have no interest in staying here. I just wish there was someplace I really felt drawn to though. I was thinking of moving to Dallas. My sister and her family will be in OK by then (she's in TX right now) so I'd be able to visit them from time to time. But mostly I just want to be anywhere but here. Make a fresh start.

Anyway, like others are saying, take your time and make a solid plan. But I support the notion and wish you luck.

11. B_Bonky

B_Bonky New Member

selling "your life" on ebay is so 2006..

12. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

Make sure there is some safety net- someone to come back to if it all goes wrong, even just to provide their spare room if needs be, and keep some money by that you don't use on your trip.

When it ends and you are looking to resume work, make it look like a positive decision to 'go travelling'

13. MH07

MH07 Member

Albums:
    As someone who has allowed his possessions to rule his life/get out of hand, I will say this: THEY ARE JUST THINGS. Other than a few mementos (and you said you were keeping a locker of them), the step you're proposing is the best thing you could do. I wish I had done it at age 25. I still may do it at 52.

Things are just things. Sofas, rugs, tables, lamps, beds, clothes, etc---just things. If you lose all of these, you can get more. My problem for years has been that I (a) infuse any family item with deep personal significance ("Oooohh, that was Granny's gum wrapper! I should save it!") and (b) am a collector (this is a disease and can infect anyone. You don't need just a couple of pieces of something, you need the entire set! Once I start collecting something, I don't stop till I've got the entire set. My nephew did the same thing with Star Wars action figures and now he's got half of a 2 car garage full of boxes, full of Star Wars action figures (that he will have to work the rest of his life to sell individually on ebay; he's trying to get someone to bid on the whole lot).

At 25, you don't need "stuff". You need to be free and mobile, able to take opportunities as they arise. You can always settle down and collect junk (I've got a 2500 square foot 4 bedroom house full of junk) when you're too old to go somewhere.

So if you want to sell it all and go to Australia for a year, DO IT. I wish I had spent a year or two in London at that age, when I could have easily/painlessly done so. I now have too many entanglements here to do that, at least until I'm 60 or so. While 60 is not "dead", I would have had a lot more fun at 25 (ok, more SEX).

Also, at 25, you have some fuckups left. If you fuck up, well, you've got plenty of time to recover. SURE, the guys who got out of college, went to work at a responsible job, partnered up, bought the house in the burbs, and lived steadily day to day will be "ahead" of you. So? Is it necessary that you "keep up"? Does EVERYBODY need a HOUSE and TWO CARS in the SUBURBS? No, everybody does not.

The only caution here is to remember that your actions have consequences. If you WANT the house in the burbs with the sleek partner and the dog and the two BMW's in the garage (his and his) when you're 40, then you need to start on that now--it's a long-term proposition.

If you want to be a free spirit--go where the wind blows, experience life and different people/places/sights/smells/things, then go for it now! You can always change course, and you still have recovery time!

I'm jealous.

(I did "the right thing", I have the nice house in a nice burb, had the sleek partner, the beemers, the corporate career; was and am "the responsible one". I am caring for 80+ year old parents, one in nursing home. I've got a dependent nephew who is becoming independent. When those obligations are over, I am going to sell out to the walls---it is STUFF---buy a motorhome, and live in it; I'll go from place to place, get enough of a job to pay the rent and buy food; live there till I'm tired of it, then pack up and go again. That's my plan for phase III of my life and I'm going to do it. You have the opportunity to do that now!).

Draft saved Draft deleted