Constitutional tests?

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has anyone wondered what gives our congress and white house the constitutional authority to do what has been going on and will continue to go on? Bail outs, stimulus, national banking, etc...

How long do you think it will be before an American voice challenges some of the actions on constitutional merits? Moreover, do you think the high court would even hear it?

Anyone that knows me here knows that I voted for and support Obama. However, even I concede actions by this administration, could have constitutionality tests put before them.

I've read the constitution several times over the last weeks and I'll be damned if I can find ANYTHING that gives Congress, much less the President, a constitutional leg to stand on right now.

Thoughts?

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is precisely why states are beginning to declare sovereignty...the revolution has begun

Eleven States Declare Sovereignty Over Obama’s Action - HUMAN EVENTS

It seems those states are basically saying the same thing. The 10th Amendment protects them from ANYTHING that is not specifically enumerated as a power in the Constitution. We'll soon see if any of those states have the votes to pass their declarations to give relief to their citizens. We'll also see what the reaction from the Feds will be as well.

Somehow, I'm inclined to think those states won't have the votes this time around.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm not sure if accepting the Stimulus Money is even a requirement. If that's the case, then calling out an Amendment for their reasoning to refuse assistance is a bit callous. Ironic that the Governor of Louisiana, a state that still needs a LOT of help from Katrina, would turn down the money.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A couple things about the stimulus package:

1) Even if the Governors of the states refuse the money, it was written into the bill that the Legislature of each state can accept the money.

2) I seem to hear nothing from the Right except that this isn't legal and very unconstitutional. If it's so illegal and unconstitutional, why hasn't anyone brought a case in Federal Court blocking the bill from continuing?

Sklar