Contraband Caviar is Christmas Gift to the Poor

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Italy's poor to eat contraband caviar on Christmas
    Confiscated caviar on Christmas menus for the poor and homeless in Italy

AP

Some homeless people in Italy will be savoring beluga caviar this Christmas, thanks to officials who seized 88 pounds (40 kilograms) of the contraband delicacy from smugglers.

The caviar has been given to Italian charities to be served alongside the traditional foods they feed the poor on Christmas — like lentils, pasta and cake — officials said Saturday.

Italy and many other countries ban beluga caviar — often the most expensive variety — in hopes of saving the dwindling population of sturgeon who produce the salty eggs.

Late last month, officials seized 40 kilograms (88 pounds) of Russian beluga stashed in the refrigerator at a woman's home in Milan, said Juri Mantegazza, an inspector for Italy's forestry corps, which enforces endangered species regulations. The delicacy was destined for the black market in Milan, Venice and Monte Carlo, the inspector said.

The woman and two Polish citizens were arrested, Mantegazza said. But what to do with all those confiscated fish eggs?

"I came up with the idea of giving away all the caviar to the poor," Mantegazza, who is based in the northern town of Tradate Varese, said in a telephone interview. "Because last year, after a similar operation, we ended up destroying all the confiscated caviar."

Instead, this year's haul is being donated to the Red Cross, Franciscan monks, homes that care for the elderly, and other organizations that will prepare holiday lunches for the homeless and poor in the Milan area, he said.
    The helpings promise to be generous.

The Rev. Massimo Mapelli, who helps run a shelter for the homeless and recovering addicts, said his center will get 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of caviar for 82 diners. That's about 120 grams (4 1/2 ounces) per person — two to four times the amount chefs traditionally serve to wealthy diners.

I want to be poor in Italy, all we ever got in the states was orange cheese. :tongue:

2. pym

pym New Member

Dunno....i've tried caviar, it's a bit over-rated!
    But good on the world wildlife conservation efforts on Italys part.BRAVO!

3. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Gotta love Italian humor.

4. Meniscus

Gold Member

Brilliant!

5. Northland

Gold Member

Mmmmm-Guvmint cheez. And 2 pound bricks of butter and 5 pound cans of peanut butter and corn meal every fucking place. But did they ever give us bacon? Nooooooooooooooo! Just sacks of beans and sacks of rice and the occasional sack of unsifted flour. No milk though.

You know, I miss surplus food-just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Then again, that could be the choked feeling of the dry corn meal caught in my throat.

6. D_Marazion Analdouche

I bet they are using metal utensils to eat the caviar with , the horror:eek:.

Oh and I've had my fill of gubmint cheese, the stuff in the MREs would bind you up for a month. You would have to eat that Faux Tootsie Roll they gave you in another packet to "get things moving".

7. pym

pym New Member

My first job after serving in the Navy was at a very SECRETIVE Army base south of fort Ord. This was in the mid 80's. MRE's were then being introduced to replace C-rations. I got to try em all.......Ham Loaf/Barbecued meat balls/Spagetti/sealed in a plastic green pouch.Dehydrated fruit/ice cream{styrofoam like} peanut butter packet/cocoa/coffe, Shit paper. All in a very thick brown plastic sealed bag that you could tear your fingernails off with, trying to open, if you were not carefull! They were'nt too bad but i Hope they improved the RATIONS since then. I allways thought the C-rations were better.

8. D_Marazion Analdouche

So what was the mission of the base, testing MREs?

9. pym

pym New Member

Not Hardly......Lets just say the ARMY base i worked at, was in those days the 'Most highly instrumented land warfare laboratory in the world'. My clearence was SECRET to work there, and so will NOT divulge the nature of work performed there. But if you like, google FT. HUNTER LIGGETT and see what you can find. The MRE's were just 'around' as part of the job.

10. D_Marazion Analdouche

I was just trying to determine why you would mention working at a "secret army facility" when talking about MREs, doesn't exactly flow into the conversation.

11. camper joe

Gold Member

I think between the two ''Russian beluga caviar or American orange cheese'', I would chose neither.

Now just where did I put that fruitcake door stopper that my sister gave me???

Draft saved Draft deleted