Copycat Friends

MsThang

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I was in Macy's with my friend and I bought a pair of boots on clearance. Got them for $23 (yeah, really great deal). Anyway, so my friend looks at the boots and wants to see if they have her size so she can buy them too. I told her that I didn't feel like being a bobbsey twin and she said that we don't have to wear them at the same time. I get that, but this is the third time she has purchased something after me and it's fucking annoying. One time we did wind up wearing the same shoes. When she asks me where I bought something I never give her a straight answer. WTF, get your own style already. That's why I don't wear uggs and fad clothing because I don't want to look like everyone else. Does anyone have a friend that does the same thing?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is the reason I never shop with friends. When someone asks me where I bought something I just lower my eyes and say... "Ummm I'm not sure... Italy I think."

D_Percy Pantsed

Account Disabled
Media
Don't have a friend like that, but that is really fuckin annoying. In the past I've gotten shirts that friends already had(without knowing), and I basically never wore those shirts again. But I did wear nothing but turtle shell adidas from grade 8 to grade 12, and in grade 11 one of my friends who I'd known since grade 9 bought pretty much the same shoes. I was like what the fuck you know I always wear these shoes. And when I was really young, me and my younger brother would get into fights when we accidentally dressed the same, and neither one of us wanted to change. It's so fuckin weird to me when twins wanna look the same, cut their hair the same, and grow the same facial hair and shit, it's fuckin creepy. I got a little off topic :)

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's some friends that are great shopping buddies,LIKE me. I always make sure folks get the best look BUT I never ever buy anything when my friends go shopping. I don't want anyone buying the same thing I bought. I had a friend like that I stopped shopping him forever.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It's bad when friends do the copy cat thing but it's mortifying turning up to a function and some other woman is wearing the same dress.
You can normally pull it off if the dress's cut and shade is flattering to your coloring and body shape.
More often than not if you pay attention to the details the other person will end up looking like a poor imitation.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
This shit happens to me with lipstick/gloss and perfume. And yeah, shoes too or tops. Hate it. Not that I have style or anything but damn, it got pretty fucken annoying. So I just started saying kmart and walmart after a while. haha And Uggs are fugly n trampy. just sayin' :)

CrookedHalo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I have a girlfriend, who, in the past has bought sweaters, boots, makeup, etc all exactly like mine. I was pretty irritated, but at the same time I felt it flattering in a rather uncomfortable sort of way. But once she began getting her hair styled exactly like mine I was creeped out. Nowadays if I really can't avoid shopping with her, I shop the high-end stores and buy the brands that I know to be well out of her budget. So far so good.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the spirit of this thread I'm going to share a story only because it's funny. I was invited to a Black Tie party in the 80's that was really glitzy and I was passing Bergdorf Goodman and in the window was the most divine tuxedo ever made (black silk cut on the bias with black jet slim rectangular beads running in a single row along the visible seams) It was and maybe still is the most extravagant thing I have ever bought. Well there was a lot of press at the party and Christie Brinkley and Liz Smith were wearing frocks by the same designer and our picture wound up in WWD and People Magazine. The fact that it took months for me to pay my BG bill it sort of seemed worth it.(I still have the clippings and the memory of a great night)

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You think it's annoying with clothes, try having a friend who only becomes interested in guys after you've shown an interest in them. After she poached the second guy I had a crush on I started raving to her about guys I had no interest in just to watch her dash after them. Eventually just the fact that poaching motivated her became grating on it's own so I stopped hanging out with her altogether.

Ok, clothes.

I once bought a friend of mine a pair of pants that I had also purchased a pair of for myself. We had the same taste and I knew she'd love them as much as I did. And love them she did, until I told her I'd bought a pair for myself then she started to minge. I told her that 1. they were from a chain store so other people would have the same ones anyway, 2. Our respective campuses were two hours apart so we weren't going to be seen together in them and 3. If she didn't grow the fuck up I was happy to return them for MY money back.

With clothes I don't really have a problem with it. I find it flattering that they're impressed with my style, where I shop the odds of someone else finding another are next to nil, and I rotate through so many clothes that even if they found a copy the odds of us wearing the item at the same time are extremely slim.

One time only have I been bothered by the clothes thing. A BF admired my taste and asked me to help him shop for his sister's x-mas gift. He ended up buying a raw silk shirt for her in a different colour than the two I had, myself. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that he changed his mind about the recipient and gave it to his ex-gf.

...and then I ripped his lungs out.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I actually do have a friend who buys some of the exact same pieces of clothing that I have. I don't mind - I find it flattering. We each have different ways of styling things, and she is careful not to wear those items at work as she knows that is where I wear them. Besides - I look WAY better in them!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I dunno - I never really had a problem with this, maybe it's because I'm a walking fashion disaster and no one would ever want to copy me, but I don't think that's true - I have always received compliments from my friends (not constantly - just enough to know I do OK). I actually think it is far more to do with the fact that the people I tend to have as my closest friends generally are as individual as I am.

Certainly at this age we all have our own styles, or clothing MOs as I would say for myself - I have dogs and am a mum, practicality and whatever the fuck is clean (enough :wink:) rules the roost most days. But when we were younger it wasn't that different.

The other thing we did do, though, and I'm sure many female friends do it (and my guy friends did too, some of them) was swap and share clothes. So this whole 'can't have my friend wear the same style / thing as me even if we don't wear it at the same time' thing is a bit weird to me because when I did live in a dress to go out / dress to impress (i.e. get laid) world I shared with my friends. But even then I never felt like I was trying to be someone else, or someone else was trying to be me, because the piece of clothing would mold on to the new wearer and become something else on her.

I don't think people should be so stingy about their 'look'. I think if you are confident and happy with how you look and, more importantly, who you are then it doesn't matter if you are dressed the same as everyone else in the room.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've never had this problem but then again it probably happens more with women that men (well duh willow, it is in the "Women's Issues" forum!) I've never been obsessed with fashion but I don't think I'm a shabby dresser. I like to look nice but I'm sensible with my spending. I have no intention of spending a fortune on a pair of shoes or an item of clothing just because it has a 'label'. I can find nice clothes at KMart or Target or Lowes for reasonable prices. I SMH at what people will pay for DESIGNER 'flip-flops' or 'uggs'. Last time I bought a pair of each, it cost me $30 TOTAL! Anyway, enough of my frugality rant.....

Next time a friend asks you where you bought your outfit/item, just say "I stole it off a dead hobo!"

I must admit though, I once bought the same kind of underwear that my best friend wore. For some reason it really freaked her out.....

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've stopped a friend from buying a top just like the one I just bought! I'm serious, and I told her to her face, too! That drives me crazy.

I confess that I have a pair of Crocs that I use to do yardwork. They are very ugly, but very comfortable. Still I would die if company showed up while I was wearing them. They stay in the garage.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm, I guess I don't really care. I've never had someone want to buy the same dress I did. Though I've walked out of the mall wearing a pair of boots that my girlfriend just had to have the same pair. No big deal.

I have another girlfriend that loves to borrow my clothes. Sometimes I really want something back to wear it again, but most of the time I just tell her how much I like that shirt and I wish I had one like it... oh wait that's mine! We laugh over it. I like to share with my friends I guess. If my bestfriend wore the same size shoes as me I'd be laying in the bottom of her closet rolling in shoes.

I'm not a trendy person by nature so a lot of the nicer outfits I purchase are only for meetings. I'm happier in jeans and a tshirt so I don't really miss the other things as much. Shoes are probably the only downfall I have and I wouldn't mind sharing them with a friend that took care of them. Chances are they could find them on their own and wear the same pair anyway. If I wore the same top as someone in a meeting I'd probably laugh and tell them they had great taste :eek:P