Corp. Holiday Party Etiquette

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_lrgeggs, Dec 8, 2010.

1. B_lrgeggs

B_lrgeggs New Member

I will throw this question out and let's see what advise there is.

About 6 weeks ago, I RSVP'd on a Corporate Holiday Party. Since then
    there has been major lay-offs. Is it in good form to attend the party.
    I still have friends who work there and infact was invited to be a guest
    of one buddy. Please advise...thanks

2. ArtofDesire

ArtofDesire New Member

I think the answer depends on how comfortable you will feel in attending. No doubt some or all will not be in much of a mood to party right after lay-offs as this tends to bring the entire corporate mood down. Some people may feel a little uncomfortable in that while they wish you well fact is they may not know what to say or not say because they will feel badly for you; ask yourself how you will feel going and dealing with the comments, or lack thereof.

If it were me I think I'd avoid the corporate event and suggest to your co-workers that you get together elsewhere and stay in touch. That's what I did when I was laid off a few years ago after 20-years with one company. The lay-off was a huge blow to my ego but as it turned out I landed a much better position elsewhere even though it required a geographic move across country. My former co-workers and I still stay in touch through email and I will occassionally fly to meet up with them if someone's having a private party at their house.

Hope this helps.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm unclear whether or not the OP has been laid off or not. If he has, then I, personally, wouldn't attend. If he's still employed with them, then of course he should go.

The reason either way is the same: corporate Christmas/Holiday parties are major corporate events, and frequently include annual awards and other recognitions. Success within the corporation depends in large measure to how well you play the game, and few games are more heavily scrutinized than expensive seasonal parties.

If he's been laid off, then there's every risk of being viewed as an outcast/pariah among those playing the corporate success game, if he hasn't been laid off then not attending would show really poor form (barring illness). The world's a small place, and local industries are that much smaller: the person working under you now could easily be your boss in five years (or vice versa). Politics count.

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

This suggests to me that you were among those laid off.
    I don't I would attend.
    It would probably be awkward all around ... not what most people want at a Christmas party, though it was nice of your buddy to think of you.

5. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I'm surprised the party wasn't cancelled. it will be a survivors party and perhaps not much fun.

if you still are an employee, it's your discretion. if you are a terminated employee, my advice is to stay away. ittibitti is right on.

6. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

If you've been laid off then you are officially "persona non grata" within that company.
    Your friend is thinking with his emotions and isn't thinking about corporate survival.
    Trust me, you aren't helping his future within the company by accepting the invitation.

7. accemb

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you no longer work there, it could cause an embarrassing situation for you, your former colleagues, as well as the person whose guest you'd be.

8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with the posts above - I'd politely decline and either tell him your not comfortable, or you have other plans. If you were personally invited by the boss of the company, then it's OK.

One of our bosses invited his laid-off employees to the christmas lunch. Sometimes it's a matter of corporate calling and not the opinion of the immediate supervisor.

Draft saved Draft deleted