Corporate-funded mobs attack democracy

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
I read that the insurance companies has spent 1 billion dollars fighting reform. I did not watch the clip but I believe there is nothing they will not do to stop this. I hope people are fed up enough with being fucked to not let them win.

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Tangential to this argument;
Garry Wills, in the first chapter of "Bomb Power";
"... The myth of capitalism is that the free market is the most efficient economic system. But it is not. Government sponsored and regulated production is far more efficient."
he goes on.."...There is a real argument for the free market-but it is not an argument based on it being efficient. "...When it is important to get things done, and done fast, the government must be relied on" The argument for the free market is that it is free. But freedom becomes superfluous if an enemy is threatening the very basis of all freedoms."

What is happening now, I reckon, is that the euphemism "free market" has been hijacked and equated with profits more so than with competition. The cooperate-conglomerates have portrayed the government as the enemy that is threatening the basis of all freedoms; my assumption is they mean, freedom from "competition", in other words..freedom from Government sponsored and regulated production of health care..

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Rachel Maddow Show

Rachel Maddow's entire program last night was devoted to analyzing how "popular" opposition to health care reform has been a fraud from the start. This segment was especially relevant.

This was a great show.
Maddow is one of the only journalists on TV that I'm eager to watch on a regular basis. It's very refreshing to find people that are willing to do carefully detailed, investigative journalism and occasionally veers off the usual path of everyday news.

D

deleted15807

Americans need corporations to tell them how to think. It's now unavoidable. CNN is everywhere now. Airports, restaurants, gyms, bowling alleys, cafeterias everywhere spoon feed not only 'news' but opinion seamlessly interwoven like some science fiction novel.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
If you remember, some of us already pointed out how that "ten gadzillion" man march on Washington, which supposedly was a grass roots protest against healthcare reform, was spearheaded, organized, and backed by corporate entities with "conflicting interests" and their own agendas, to say the least.

With recent SCOTUS decision (lauded by Republicans) that removed limits on funding for such, expect a whole lot more corporate meddling... natcherly.

It's the American way.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Tangential to this argument;

Garry Wills, in the first chapter of "Bomb Power";
"... The myth of capitalism is that the free market is the most efficient economic system. But it is not. Government sponsored and regulated production is far more efficient."

he goes on.."...There is a real argument for the free market-but it is not an argument based on it being efficient. "...When it is important to get things done, and done fast, the government must be relied on" The argument for the free market is that it is free. But freedom becomes superfluous if an enemy is threatening the very basis of all freedoms."

What is happening now, I reckon, is that the euphemism "free market" has been hijacked and equated with profits more so than with competition. The cooperate-conglomerates have portrayed the government as the enemy that is threatening the basis of all freedoms; my assumption is they mean, freedom from "competition", in other words..freedom from Government sponsored and regulated production of health care..
Not tangential at all. In fact, it's the very heart of the problem - corporate control of the levers of government - the power behind the curtain - the wrench in the works - that which warps virtually every public policy and bit of legislation to serve the corporate interests.

Capitalism is a fine system, as long as there are strong consumer protections, reasonable regulation and control of the marketplace - and a solid wall between the government of the people and those who would corrupt and exploit it purely for profit. We have been on a steady slide away from that kind of balance for some time now. It doesn't take an economic genius to see where it's gotten us, or where we're headed. Follow the money.

"Free Market Fundamentalists" are adamantly opposed to any controls on the economic system that might diminish their short term gains, even if it destroys that system in the longer term. Elected officials - on both sides of the aisle - are addicted to cash to fund ever more expensive campaigns, and therefore increasingly beholden to their corporate benefactors. The public is oblivious, distracted by the issue du jour, smokescreens and bright shiny objects. The more we're bamboozled and pitted against each other, the easier it is for the dark powers to do their dirty deeds unnoticed.

Newsflash - our elected officials, our government, are not working for us. The way we allow corporations to fund (read buy) elections and put people in positions of power over us is at the root of it all. The way we allow armies of corporate lobbyists in and out the revolving backdoors of Congress and the White House seals our fate. Unless we seriously change this system, we will be little more than serfs dependent on our corporate masters. And it will continue to get worse, much worse.

The catch-22 is that the people we want to elect can't get there without piles of corporate cash. The next catch-22, unless they do the corporate bidding they'll be ousted for someone who will. The final and the worst catch-22, we are dependent on these very pigs at the trough to effect the change we need. They sure as hell aren't going to do it unless the people demand it, and even then, it's not highly likely. The people, even those aware of the problem, don't think it's that important. Most are oblivious. It's a simple equation really, and brilliantly self-sustaining.

But people think I bang this drum too much . . . oh well. Let's all relax and be good little consumers, okay? The cruel irony is that we are the ones feeding the beast. We are the ones being consumed,
until there's nothing left to consume. Enjoy it while you can.

Because not all human beings are sociopaths driven purely by the prospect of personal gain.
No, they're not. Corporations, on the other hand, are non-human entities. They are not even inherently evil, it's just that they are designed for one purpose only: make bigger profits. You can't expect corporations to act responsibly and with compassion, they are not the same as people. Oh wait, I forgot. They are people now. Hey thanks, Supremes.

We are so fucked.

Last edited:

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
So in the meantime, I guess that means we should all fuck our brains out?

Now that would be a new form of health care everyone on here could get behind.

No surprises re: the show. There's just too many $$, lining too many pockets, as is, to let it all slip away.

I'm surprised, in the video, there was no chant of "Meds, meds, gimmie my meds." Then again, perhaps their dose is already too high.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I recently heard that part of the Republican's health plan (when it coalesces) will include faith healing and the laying on of hands as part of emergency room triage procedures.

I realize you may mean this (the above) sarcastic/sardonic(ally); however, having had successful faith healing on a bum knee, I will have no objection if that is included on things to be covered.

Don't knock what you haven't tried.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Having grown up in a state that is really a thinly-veiled theocracy, I have watched (and until the age of 16 was "forced" to be involved) with many faith healings. My experience in seeing the results are less than fabulously positive than yours.

I'm all for the placebo effect. So, placebo yourself away. Just don't use my tax money (or any one else's) to do it.

Last edited:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Having grown up in a state that is really a thinly-veiled theocracy, I have watched (and until the age of 16 was "forced" to be involved) with many faith healings. My experience in seeing the results are less than fabulously positive than yours.

I'm all for the placebo effect. So, placebo yourself away. Just don't use my tax money (or any one else's) to do it.

My taxes go to all kinds of things I don't use- schools being the most obvious. Should I pay to subsidize meals for the elderly? Should I pay into a tax fund which pays state/local/federal employees and hands them a pension higher than many others earn in a 3 year span? (many penisons are based on the last year of work, where many employees, knowing this, log in twice the regular work hours, thereby increasing the dollars they will receive in the pension check) taxes go to paying the pensions as well.

If I pay for all of that, then I and others can pay for alternative medical options. To dismiss what others have found helps, because you didn't have a good experience, shows ignorance. The key to faith healing is FAITH, if a spiritual guide is going to assist, then bring them in and pay- probably a lower cost than the doctors will be asking for their diagnosis, surgery, hospital stays, tests, follow-ups, etc. etc. The laying on of hands, could in fact reduce overall expense.

D_Harvey Schmeckel

Sexy Member
Media
If I pay for all of that, then I and others can pay for alternative medical options.

I have gotten more benefit from chiropractic care and therapeutic massage in recent years than from allopathic medicine. This is often true for musculo-skeletal pain, as has been demonstrated by scientific studies hence justifying insurance coverage of these treatments.
So I agree with you up to a point, but...

To dismiss what others have found helps, because you didn't have a good experience, shows ignorance. The key to faith healing is FAITH,

Whoa! This is a whole different definition of "what others have found helps" which is entirely subjective. No one should pay to support anyone else's subjective religious beliefs, even if they are therapeutic.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whoa! This is a whole different definition of "what others have found helps" which is entirely subjective. No one should pay to support anyone else's subjective religious beliefs, even if they are therapeutic.

With that logic, I shouldn't pay for anything which involves unproven chemo therapy. I shouldn't pay for a whole truck load of things which have benefitted so few.