Correlation with sexual abuse? i wonder...

Geremy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Not the most fun conversation topic, but sometimes I wonder if sexuality can be shaped or influenced a lot by previous experience with sexual abuse or very early exposure to sex. Anyone else feel that way? Some research shows a connection but it may not always be the case. Sorry if this post triggers, upsets anyone or was a topic of a previous thread. Just something I’ve always wondered from my own experience... Thoughts?

HukPhin

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree as well. Early sexual trauma - especially for a male - can create all kinds of conflict/confusion/guilt around sex/sexuality/sexual identity/etc. if you experienced sexual abuse/trauma - especially as a young boy - it wil influence your thinking/world view.

Geremy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I agree as well. Early sexual trauma - especially for a male - can create all kinds of conflict/confusion/guilt around sex/sexuality/sexual identity/etc. if you experienced sexual abuse/trauma - especially as a young boy - it wil influence your thinking/world view.
Totally agree

Khegan

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sexual trauma as a minor can influence adult sexual behaviors and preferences, but they are not the solely exclusive cause of them.

I was never sexually abused and have always had an attraction to both sexes.

I have a friend who was abused by a man and is 100% straight and completely well adjusted, married to a model gorgeous woman.

The formative psyche is a very volatile thing and any predisposition toward something can be enforced, positively or negatively, and forever change someone's interpersonal relationships.

So yes, a potential correlation, but not causation.

Richiecable

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I came to the realization I was abused by a cousin a short time ago. I was about ten and he was thirteen, he convinced me to let him penetrate me. It happened a few times and now I think it may have shaped me. And honestly, I love my sexuality today even though I am in the closet, but struggled with it throughout my 20’s.

Billy Williams

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I came to the realization I was abused by a cousin a short time ago. I was about ten and he was thirteen, he convinced me to let him penetrate me. It happened a few times and now I think it may have shaped me. And honestly, I love my sexuality today even though I am in the closet, but struggled with it throughout my 20’s.
Understand man. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Richiecable

Not the most fun conversation topic, but sometimes I wonder if sexuality can be shaped or influenced a lot by previous experience with sexual abuse or very early exposure to sex. Anyone else feel that way? Some research shows a connection but it may not always be the case. Sorry if this post triggers, upsets anyone or was a topic of a previous thread. Just something I’ve always wondered from my own experience... Thoughts?

I'm a firm believer that sexual orientation is a result of nature and biology, not environment. Having said that, I first knew I was bisexual in seventh grade. I was never molested or abused either. The closest I got to abuse was having random girls bully me and grope my crotch and run off laughing. This was after the onset of puberty, so while humiliating and traumatic, I draw no parallels there.

Reactions: Richiecable

Richiecable

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm a firm believer that sexual orientation is a result of nature and biology, not environment. Having said that, I first knew I was bisexual in seventh grade. I was never molested or abused either. The closest I got to abuse was having random girls bully me and grope my crotch and run off laughing. This was after the onset of puberty, so while humiliating and traumatic, I draw no parallels there.
I don’t disagree at all with you Todd. We are how we are. I think something like this just pushes it over the edge. Makes us not feel right. In any case, - mine - I think it helped bring this out in a bad way that would shape me the rest of my life. If it were different, who knows, maybe Inwould of come out earlier in life and had a completely different - guilt free- life. We will never know. But I am a happy man. Love myself and who I am today. After I dealt with my devils.

Reactions: Toddcc987

Billy Williams

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree

latinluva

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It happened to be and I felt bad cause I enjoyed it. Jacked off thinking about it for years.
Same thing here....I loved it a lot! But hated the after feeling....it was tough being around my guy friends and family members for a few years. Eventually, I did it again and again til I got comfortable with my sexuality.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There seems to be a developing consensus that sex, sexual orientation, and gender develop during gestation. Probably, the three align in a majority of cases but sometimes not. My hunch is that in cases where there exists biological fluidity, experiences can come into play. This thread has cause me to recall an instance when I was young. It upset me. However, I do not believe it causes me to primarily be emotionally and sexually attracted to males. Before I had ever heard of homosexuality I would hear presumably heterosexual love songs on the radio and not be able comprehend what this was about. I concluded that I was incapable of such feelings and believed that to be the case for many years. Thankfully, I eventually came to my senses.

Reactions: notN2pussy