corrupt moderators at lpsg

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wallaboi, Apr 21, 2011.

1. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yesterday I posted a seemingly innocuous thread in the etc, etc forum titled eggcorns, mondagreens and malaproprisms
    and today I was surprised it see it had been merged with a similar thread, started, and last posted in 2006, five years ago
    by a member (stronzo) who is now banned.

So I have a question for the moderator/s who chose to devalue and denigrate my new thread (only my second or third thread
    start in the whole time that i have been a member here) by merging it without any consultation or public explanation in the
    tread itself.

Why, when there are thread after thread on almost exactly the same topics which are never merged, would you choose to
    merge and subvert mine? Music to fuck to, music to make love to, music to have sex to, all posted within a few hours.
    Circumscision threads that repeat over and over the same topics. Not that I care. I read what interests me and ignore those
    that have been repeated or not of interest.

It seems alliances and affiiations are all important at lpsg if you are to have your opinion heard. I have had disagreements of
    opinion in the past with some moderators. Once I reported a post by hillare which I thought was threatening (the only time I have
    reported someone). There was no response whatsoever

Before I posted, I did a forum search on the title of my thread...eggcorns mondagreens & malaprooisms. The result was no match.
    It seems the lpsg search engine is lacking in horsepower. Thanks to joytoyboy who did a more precise search for pointing out that
    this had been already discussed five years ago, so he copped some from me flack in the spirit of the thread. It seems some trolls
    come in many forms. To joytoyboy ... if you don't have anything to contribute ... shut the fuck up! To the moderators that want to
    fuck joytoyboy .. shut the fuck up!

#1 wallaboi, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Stronzo must be a moderator now :eek:

Love u Blondie :wink:

3. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I think corrupt is way too strong a word for this situation.

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

We all worry when you think.

5. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    deliberate subversion, however trivial the topic is corrupt

6. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    lol

7. secondbest69

secondbest69 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    well i think it was just two points of view were it should have been placed. i'm sure no harm was meant ... i think all that is needed is to talk to the moderator that moved it and find why it was put there......

8. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

He shouldn't have to ask...they should have informed him as to why it was moved. And his point is valid...:mad:

9. secondbest69

Albums:
    i'm not trying to say who was right or wrong just saying talking it over could help both to understand each side

10. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Moderators are corrupt because absolute power corrupts absolutely. Become a mod and place your immortal soul in peril.

Some of the mods have been banned themselves in the past-- Pecker, even :tongue: And many who have been mods are now banned, some of whom I liked immensely.

Don't take it as an insult to have your thread merged with that of someone who is banned, because that way leads resentment. Take it as a badge of honor that the mods even noticed your thread. There are so many that are not too original, as you yourself pointed out.

I for one have now learned what an eggcorn is.

11. secondbest69

Albums:
    helgaleena your very right about power and what it does on everyone i was just thinking and hoping it walliboi chatted with the mod it could be moved i'm mean what harm could it be to see

12. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Threads are merged, and there's a long-standing tradition of it here. See: http://www.lpsg.org/76415-thread-merge-on-aisle-three.html

It's less common today, but before Google really got a good footing, when you did a search, you had to try Alta-Vista, Yahoo, Lycos, etc., and they all gave different results.
    a) The searches didn't give strong results
    b) You had to look at numerous place to find what you were looking for

How is this related?
    a) I agree that Rob does a great job with the site, but the search function here, has been a sore spot for ages. My habit for searching, is to find ONE of the most unique words, and search it. It became a habit because, previously, if you entered more than one word in the search box, it wasn't an AND search, or was an OR search. That it, adding more words didn't limit the search, it expanded the search, looking for all threads with EITHER of the items entered, not narrowing the result to posts with BOTH of the search terms.
    b) If you want a real nightmare... Say you have a mad crush on Mario Lopez. You're looking for a pic of him, and you're sure that someone here must've posted before. Go to the Celeb forum and look for THE thread about him. Oh wait, there's not ONE, there are closer to 40 (or more), ditto with Julian Rios (although most of his are tough to find by title, because the thread titles are usually, "Can someone ID this guy?", so you get a ton of results that look totally unrelated, and have to dig into the thread to see that it's only a passing mention of him, or possibly that exact pic that you were looking for). In Information Management, the whole theory of access, is to provide one (or as few as possible) access point (just like Google, you search in one box, instead of 20 various sites), so that researchers can get to their info, instead of spending all of their time looking. By merging threads, sometimes with identical titles, and nearly verbatim questions, your search is going to give you better results (fewer threads to have to look through).

Reasons we don't merge threads: a) the duplicates haven't been noticed yet, b) they're different enough, or have a particular twist that verges from the other similar thread, c) this is a big one, merging the two together, for example, while they were running concurrently, would cause a convoluted, totally unreadable and jumbled mess.

13. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, joyboytoy79 probably didn't do a search just to nail you. He was one of the last people to post in that old-ass thread over four years ago. He probably just remembered it and thought to himself, "hey, this is redundant!" and reported it. Then the mods saw that the two threads were literally about the same thing and merged them without ever considering that one is incredibly old and that a new one isn't really redundant because OVER FOUR YEARS have passed since the last post in the old one.

A good Internet rule of thumb is to assume good intentions. Don't just assume this happened due to "corruption". By doing so, you can be critical of a decision without flipping your shit and coming across negatively.

For example, in this case I agree that the merge was the wrong move. That first thread is ancient history. A new thread on the same topic is not cluttering up the forum with redundant threads, which is the point of topic merging/deleting in the first place.

I've run forums in the past as an Admin and let me just tell you that bad calls get made. It sucks. But typically there was no malice behind them. Yet the users almost always want to jump down your throat if they disagree with a decision or a mistake was made assuming you're some cruel bastard who's out to get them.

14. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    whatever, and what about nineinch

15. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Lighten up, Francis. It's a fucking internet message board, not federal court.

16. exwhyzee

Gold Member

This thread is starting look like a homecoming

17. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Please, do us all a favor and stop thinking; this place can't afford the insurance spikes.lol

18. maxcok

Gold Member

:popcorn:

19. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Wanker. lol.

20. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Pig fucker.lol. :friday: All love for ya there, Hickmeister.:biggrin: BTW, how's the porkchop princess?

Draft saved Draft deleted