"Cougar": Insult or Tribute?

Fredneck1951

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's been a lively thread in this forum, "Older woman vs. younger guy" (why does it have to be "vs."?) and most of the ladies who posted there seemed to vote "aye".

Seems like there's a slang term for women who seek out and bed younger men: "Cougars". I first heard it on a TV program, I think it was ABC's 20/20. Now, there really isn't anything new under the sun, older women and younger men have been a combustible mix forever, but trust the media to make it a "trend" if not a "fad", and it seems around here that many of the ladies have positive interactions with men several to many years younger than they are.

So here's the question to the ladies: Do you find the term "Cougar" offensive? Or do you find it complimentary towards your raw animal magnetism men find irresistible, like the mighty huntress stalking her prey?

I need to know, because if I use the term with my wife (who's nine years older than I am), I don't want to be picking up my teeth from the floor.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fredneck,

(By the way what a great name! LOL! ) I think you answered the question yourself! If your wife would knock your teeth out perhaps it might be something to use on a constant basis. I dont think the opinions about the term are by any means monolithic.Depending upon your frame of reference, it could be seen as a euphomism for a voracious older woman who is embarrasing herself by consorting with younger men. Or in a kinder light, it could be a woman who has liberated her sensibilities enough to be able to widen her horizons in terms of her choice of partner.
I think most of us want to be happy with or without the label. More power to you and your wife for making such an enlightened choice! LOL!

Naughty

windtalkerways

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL, Fred...people are always in the habit
of labelling everything. And compared to
some of the nasty terms that have been
used on women who have a high sex drive,
I'd say it's a step up for a change.

Being a 'cougar' is definitely a win-win
situation, though I would not say I 'prowl' or
bed only younger men. It's just how things
work out sometimes.

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I definitely don't take it as an insult. Tribute might be taking it a little far the other way. But while the analogy of the carnivorous flesh-tearing cat somehow seems harsh, it's not entirely off base :biggrin1: . So many women are afraid to go after what they want. They send out subtle signals and expect men to take all the risks. It's almost like they apologize or feel guilty for having desires. And yes, there have been times when I have found a younger man attractive and plotted to get him in bed. Usually successfully, I might add :tongue: . So, if a cougar actively goes after having her wants met, then I guess that makes me a cougar.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's cute. One of the few labes we women have gotten that resonate power and beauty. A hell of a lot better than "slut" or "whore" which have no male counterparts.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
madame_zora said:
I think it's cute. One of the few labes we women have gotten that resonate power and beauty. A hell of a lot better than "slut" or "whore" which have no male counterparts.

Well, "manwhore" is a term that's fairly common nowadays. The difference is that the men in question usually refer to themselves that way (jocularly), as opposed to being saddled with a label by others.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It certainly not derogative to me. I guess I am a cougar, I have a strong incline to date younger guys, and I don't feel anything bad about it. Currently I'm dating a guy who could easily be my son, judging by the numbers, but we have great sex, get our fun, with absolutely no strings attached. There's nothing bad in it, but it doesn't appear as something so outstanding to me that it'd deserve the term tribute. However, since it still isn't the norm, the term tribute would make sense.

Go ladies, satisfy your hunger for younger! Aye!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorcerer said:
I've been called both on many occasions.

Honey, it's only libel if it's not true!

"Manwhore" is an obvious play on "whore", and I don't think it's primary use is amoung women wishing to discredit a man or classify him as unworthy or of lesser value. These are the implications of slut and whore for women- they're good enough to fuck, but not to bring home to mommy- guys who think like that need to be slapped.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
madame_zora said:

"Manwhore" is an obvious play on "whore", and I don't think it's primary use is amoung women wishing to discredit a man or classify him as unworthy or of lesser value. These are the implications of slut and whore for women- they're good enough to fuck, but not to bring home to mommy- guys who think like that need to be slapped.

When I was called "slut" or "whore", I'd usually earned it. :biggrin1:

steve2727

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
madame_zora said:

It's not just guys, I've been considered good enough to fuck but not good enough to bring home to mommy by a few women.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of the MILF's i dated over the past summer actually didn't mind at all to the term. Truth be told, she found it refreshing. Myself, I don't really label the women I've dated/had relationships with in the past who might fit this descriptive.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
madame_zora said:

Exactly. As I said, when I have heard this term it has usually been from a guy referring to himself or a friend in a joking manner. I don't think I've ever heard a woman refer to a guy this way. If a woman refers to another woman as a whore, that's prolly gonna be a call to throw down, but some guys wear it as a badge of honor.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SurferGirlCA said:
Exactly. As I said, when I have heard this term it has usually been from a guy referring to himself or a friend in a joking manner. I don't think I've ever heard a woman refer to a guy this way. If a woman refers to another woman as a whore, that's prolly gonna be a call to throw down, but some guys wear it as a badge of honor.

In my experience, words like slut, whore and bitch are uttered more by women about each other than by guys. Since they consider it the ultimate insult, I guess.