Cougar Town (new show on ABC)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SilverTrain, Sep 24, 2009.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched this last night, and had my "young adulthood" crush on Courtney Cox revived. She was great as Monica on Friends, but not really in a sexy way.

Last night......Woof!

Funny show, too.

I also like Modern Family and Eastwick. Lots of good stuff in there. A few chuckles and lots of beautiful people. No major intellectual muscles required, though, which is fine. Sometimes, a night of mindless eye candy is just what the doctor ordered.

2. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I thought she was adorable but the show was a one-note. It will probably fly, though. It's got potential.

3. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Totally. Fortunately for me, it's a note I can listen to for a half hour every week.

4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I agree. I happen to love sitcoms and most of them lately are so awful they're unbearable. As I say, this one could develop and she's just so easy to watch.

5. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

ABC is a network that is betting its future on female viewership. If there is any doubt look at what happened to Monday Night Football (now over at ESPN.) Prime time is a sea of dirt cheap to produce reality shows and female-oriented programming.

Perhaps it's because I'm nearing middle age but the whole Cougar phenomenon seems like a Utopian female fantasy, older women attracting younger eager malleable guys. A couple of nights back there was a news story about a Carnival "Cougar" cruise with women in their forties- and in several instances fifties- hooking up with guys in their twenties. In nearly all instances, the guys interviewed were sick and tired of the chase and B.S. of dating women who played hard-to-get and were looking forward to older women who lusted for sex without the games.

My question is how do they get-it-up with a woman of 55 who looks like plastic surgery from hell when in his mind the perfect woman is this: Lauren Caitlin Upton's Photos - Pics | Facebook

6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I was 20, I found a lot of forty-something women to be extremely sexy. And the lack of "games" was a definite plus, even then.

That said, not all cougars would be attractive to me. Even though a woman is ready for sex, I might not be into her. {Myth shattered!] Nothing more annoying than someone (male or female, really) who expects you to be attracted to them.

7. lvsxy808

Gold Member

Albums:
    I liked it. The very premise all but guarantees regular deliveries of hot young male flesh, and that's always something I enjoy.

8. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Can anyone tell me the comparable term to "cougar" (predatory animal) for an older man dating a younger woman?

Wait. I know. There isn't one. :rolleyes:

YIPES! :eek: Do you mean to suggest every heterosexual man is attracted to exactly that which titilates you? Kind of a broad stroke of the ol' brush there.

Kinda puts the old slam-dunk on all women in their fifties huh? Wow.

Perhaps it's because you're making the mistake of thinking everyone is attracted to the same things you are.

How do you reconcile that with society's appearingly blanket approval of a fifty-five year old man having a twenty-one year old beauty queen on his arm?

Freaking double standards....

Yup. Agreed.

The last TRULY clever format situation comedy was Bewitched. It had all the elements.

#8 B_Stronzo, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why, exactly, does that make you roll your eyes?

Seriously.

10. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

You're showing your age, darling. :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted