Could Mugabe's days be numbered ...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dong20, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dong20

Gold Member

Of course, all our days are 'numbered' but this has been rumbling for a little while now. When the Zimbabwean government denies something and then insults those suggesting it, there is likely some element of truth buried in the allegation.

I have just (yesterday) returned from an extended spell in the region and there is growing optimism about Zim. Not so much from the average poor downtrodden folk (they suffer still) but in a broader context for the medium term future. Perhaps these two threads are not entirely unrelated, but (there) it's tricky to ask the question, without risk of bringing a shitstorm down on one's head.

Keep an eye on Zuma (in this, and other matters) ... he has been able to raise his game of late and may yet confound (some) expectations.

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lets hope so! I've got friends in Bulawayo and it's been a bit of a mess over the past few years.

3. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dong, as Joll said, let's hope so. That man is a walking scourge...Zim has so much to offer in potential resources to its people and Africa.

4. dong20

Gold Member

For those among us who don't keep up with events (or prefer to be spoonfed), here's a little background:

Mugabe Back From Mysterious Dubai Trip

BBC NEWS | Africa | Zimbabwe denies Mugabe ill health

Speculation about Bob's health is a soap opera (much as it was with Castro and others) so this could be a tempest in a teacup but I got a sense that this time it was a little different.

Wishing a man dead (even one so dispicable as Mugabe) never sits entirely comfortably with me, but however it happens he needs to be gone. Mugabe isn't the only person to invoke that sentiment in me, but this thread is specific.

5. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Mugabe still has legal control of the army. What more does he need? The MDC may have it's foot in the door, but only because Mugabe allows it.

Aside from Mugabe's death, a real grassroots movement is needed for any sustainable change to happen. Zimbabwe needs a true top-to-bottom revolution. When I say "top", I mean Mugabe and the seat of "President". When I say "bottom", I mean land distribution. Healthcare is another serious issue that even Tsvangirai seems to be ignoring.

With police beating escalating since the 2007 MDC rally, I think that the Zims might be getting pissed off enough to revolt. Also, the recent revelations of Mugabe's human systemic human rights abuses are fanning the flames.

As for Zuma, the donor nations for Zim's restoration are have a 'wait and see' policy and are rightfully suspicious of the new government. A good example of this is the $7.5 of donated AIDS money that went missing.

Zuma seems to be genuinely concerned about Southern Africa -- especially Angola and Zimbabwe -- and has public criticised the ZANU-PF. This is a totally different approach than his predecessor, Mbeki's.

We'll see what happens with the Global Political Agreement unity government.I'm not getting my hopes up. If a revolutionary new government is formed, it cannot be tribal; that was one of the biggest mistakes that the British made.

6. Puntie

Puntie Member

Zuma is useless. Just like his predecessors. Has he stood up to Mugabe? Nope. Will he ever? Highly unlikely!! Instead he asked for the sanctions on Mugabe and his cronies to be lifted!

7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

The man who lives longest, sees all his enemies float down the river.

Draft saved Draft deleted