Could Someone Help Me Out?

D_officeflop

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey there everyone, ill cut straight to the chase..

Im a 22 year old guy from the UK, Scotland to be exact and after years of being "depressed" with my weight and being "obese" as the papers like to call it.
(Obese - Rather Overweight)

Heres my measurements - im 6foot tall and weigh in at 21 stone (roughly - 294lbs)
So ive decided that i NEED to do something about my weight, to become slim, fit, healthy and so i dont have any medical problems early on in life such as heart problems or whatever.

So, what i have been doing so far is "watching what i eat"..which basically comes down to, not eating loads of sweets and crisps. Drinking alot of water everyday, having regular meals and doing around 35mins exercise a day.
(the exercise i do, is usually 10min stretches, 10min doing weights, 15mins doing sit ups)

So i was wondering if anyone has any qualifications in weight loss or fitness etc..if they could help me out.
Also, even if youve not got actual qualifications, then feel free to help me out with tips and stuff like that.
Id appreciate as much help as possible.

I have a sort of "date" in my head i would like be atleast lost quite alot of weight by and be looking good. Because at the end of June next year, im going on holiday with friends for the first time ever...and i want to be able to just stroll around the holiday destination/beaches etc with just shorts on and have a nice body.

So, i hope people will want to help me on here as its going to be a life changing experience finally sticking a plan to change my life.

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
fruits and vegetables are definately fat burners.
to burn fat quicker, try more aerobics and stretching.
i like jumprope,push-ups and sit-ups, the best.
but ease off the weights til' your metabolism
is less depressed.
once you get your metabolism sped up again
you will keep the fat cells off and gain more musclemass.
musclemass will bring you new energy. :)

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hello ThickScottishDan:

Based on what you wrote above, I would also recommend adding some cardio to the mix. Cycling is easy on your bones and joints and is so much fun. Start slowly.

I dropped 30 kg. 2 years ago. Here is what happened. The doctor diagnosed me as having high blood sugar. It was still under my control thorugh diet. The doctor told me to eliminate the following things: potato, white flour, white pasta, white rice, sugar (in all forms), alcoholic beverages. My digestive system was not handling refined carbohydrates and screwed up my body chemistry. I lost the first 10 kg in 2 months. My knee injury improved and I bought a road bike and began cycling to work. Now I do 50 mile bike rides and life is great. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. It takes patience and perseverence, yet you will get there if you keep focused on your goal. Best of luck!

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Firstly never think of it as a diet or temporary. It's a change of lifestyle which has to be permanent for any results to remain permanent.

When I lived in Glasgow I joined Green's Gym in Finnieston. They will appoint a personal trainer who will set you an exercise plan and advise on eating. I lost 30lbs in 4 months by taking their advice. If you live near there I can recommend it otherwise there must be a similar near you that someone can recommend.

Good luck.

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi Dan,
I agree with the advice from DaveyR, but i would also recommend swimming if possible. It's low impact and due to the water resistance on your body you tend to burn off more calories.

Either way, good luck and let us know how you're getting on.

BrynB

Experimental Member
Media
Personally, I'd go for a series of smaller targets rather than one big one.
For instance, your first target might be to lose 1 stone by Christmas. Make it acheivable so you do not discourage yourself.
If you think your food intake or type of food is the main problem, keep a diary for a couple of weeks and record everything you eat and drink and at what times. It will give you a useful overview of what you're doing now and should help you spot where changes can be made.

And don't be tempted to weigh yourself at every opportunity.
Designate once a week and do it then, same day, same time each time.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Avoid sugar, salt, flour, and starch in bulk. However, leave in some salt, as the body needs a bit of sodium to avoid drying out. Now, I'd recommend alot of walking, even if it's only a short walk, like say to get your groceries or what have you. Use alot of water to flush out your system and replenish your hydration. Use small weights and do waists twists, small reps/sets at 1st, then move on to bigger ones. Do not avoid eating!! Even tho you're trying to lose weight, you still need to eat, you try & starve yourself, you only lose protein and lean muscle mass.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
See a person who is a nutrion expert. You may need to only alter what you are eating to change things. Of course basic exercise is important too

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An additional recommendation is to get your thyroid / testosterone levels checked.

Three reasons --

a) When they exist in healthy amounts, thyroid and testosterone hormones help mobilize and burn fat stores,

b) Adipose tissue (fat) tends to generate estrogen hormones, even in men. Excess estrogen causes a vicious circle, because the estrogens tend to convert a man's testosterone into estrogen, leading to more fat and on and on.

c) Excess estrogen also causes your body to produce a thyroxine-binding globulin (TBG), which reduces the amount of thyroid hormones circulating in your body. This causes all sorts of side effects, including a slower metabolism, edema (swelling of feet/ankles), and depression.

The blood tests to get are "FREE testosterone", TSH, T-4 and T-3.

Your GP can put you on a topical testosterone cream, and NATURAL thyroid supplements (such as Armour). Don't settle for the synthetic hormones. The bioidentical hormones are safer and work better.

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey Dan....I know a bit about diet and exercise. I have maintained a weight of 143 pounds with good muscularity for at least 30 years. I eat 6 ounces of meat or fish daily, 5 vegetables, 3 pcs of fruit and drink water with each meal. Nuts and cereals and whole wheat breads are great! I swim and bikeride and walk and exercise for 2 hours every day! If I did not adhere to the exercise routine, my weight would climb to 175!