Could YOU Boil A Lobster Alive?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I will admit. Truthfully, I haven't had lobster in about two years. I happen to like shrimp and king crab legs a whole lot better. I don't plan on eating any guinea pigs anytime soon.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I love vegetables. My favorite vegetables are: brussel sprouts, yellow squash, asparagus, collard greens, green beans, yellow and white corn, carrots, mushrooms, onions, shallots, herb salads, Italian lettuce mix, sweet potatoes and pickled okra (Hot or mild).

I like fruit as well. My favorite fruits are apples, berries, pineapple, kiwi fruit, grapes, cherries, bananas, and pears. I love chilled cold fruit.

I don't like: cream style corn, watermelon, or eggplant.

Lobster in spaghetti sauce has possibilities.

I thought so too but I admit I've flubbed it. I started out with Paul Newman's Sweet Onion sauce, added a bay leaf, dried basil, Bermuda onion, sweet red pepper, pineapple, sun-dried tomatoes, a little balsamic vinegar, white wine, salt, and sugar.

It didn't work out as I had planned. The sauce was too rich and heavy. If I were to do it again, I'd make a far lighter crude sauce of chunky fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, pineapple, dill, bay leaf, and wine; possibly some artichoke hearts (unmarinated). I might add some fresh crushed garlic too, but not a lot. I like lobster to taste like lobster and getting a sauce mellow enough to not overwhelm the flavor isn't easy. It should be much lighter and simpler than what I did. I also think it wasn't a good idea to start with a jarred sauce even if it's one I generally like. Shrimp is good with the original sauce I made, but lobster just doesn't seem to stand-up as well. I definitely would leave out the crushed red pepper and the diced red bell pepper and the onions. They were overwhelming.

It was an expensive mistake but you live and learn in the kitchen. Not every experiment works.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I simply stick to steamed or boiled lobster, with a nice big cup of melted butter (or garlic butter)

but i always trade with people who i am dining with, since i do not like the tails, but love the arm/knuckle/claws...so i get 4 claws, and one of my dining companions gets two tails :biggrin1:

Amber1

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I JUST dnt think I could... I'd feel evil.... I dnt fancy being boiled alive so I dnt think I could do it to the lobster.... Is it the ONLY way to cook lobster???

It probably is!! In which case I think I could happily forego lobster....
In any case sticking it in the pot and watching it die just seems wrong to me on so many levels.... Call me soppy!! :)

No, you can bake, broil, fry, or serve it alive. Steaming is considered the best way to cook lobster and a few people swear that cooking them in the dishwasher is the best way.

I suppose you could pop one in the microwave, but that's probably even more cruel than boiling.

It would likely explode because there is water in the space between the shell and the muscles in a moulting lobster (which is when most are caught).

I think the problem isn't cooking it so much as slaughtering. There doesn't seem to be a good way to slaughter a lobster. The nervous system is so distributed that there's no single place that will cause instant death if destroyed.

Perhaps placing it in a chamber of CO2?