MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My dad was a big fan of country,'El Paso' was one of the singles he had.

I've bought everything Laura Cantrell has released.When 'Not The Tremblin' Kind' first appeared John Peel said "It's my favourite record of the last ten years and possibly my life".
When Peelie recommended something so highly it was enough to make me buy it.He was right,she's great!
I also have Gram Parsons 'GP/Grievous Angel'.I don't know if he was highly regarded amongst typical U.S country fans.I suppose they didn't approve of him hanging out with Keith Richards.

the ipod play list has been injected with the song stylings of one Ms Laura Cantrell.

ML

cuz i can and cuz i love the song - Gordon Lightfoot Sundown
YouTube - Gordon Lightfoot: Sundown
^~~ not country but deserving of love. let ya ears roam.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is he country though? I always considered him more folk. Not that it matters but i can't picture Lightfoot on Hee Haw.

Mr Lightfoot is folk music. pop folk music according to the thread.

i went youtubing for songs by Ms Laura Cantrell. Mr Lightfoot came up with cover tune overlap. i just wanted to post the link.

i should tag it 'not country but a nice listen all the same'.

ML

kinda like Sixto Rodriquez ever so not country, ever so folk, but grown up from common roots.

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Gordon Lightfoot is just fine too. I saw him play back in the 70's when he had his HIT song 'SUNDOWN' at the COBLESKILL fair in NY. A really good artist and getting to be an OLD man. Nice to see somebody in there early 20's still diggin' him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbFrmgC8E-Y

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Gordon Lightfoot is just fine too. I saw him play back in the 70's when he had his HIT song 'SUNDOWN' at the COBLESKILL fair in NY. A really good artist and getting to be an OLD man. Nice to see somebody in there early 20's still diggin' him.

YouTube - Gordon Lightfoot: Sundown

Astounding. He's 70 now, and looks it.
But I've just been listening to a lot of what seems to be recent stuff, and the rhythm's still completely there, and the voice is not the shipwreck one might expect.
(He nearly died six years ago, you know. Spent more than a month in a coma after an aneurysm burst in his abdomen. Took months and months to recover.
Lightfoot was a big big presence in my life way back when ...
And before his breakthrough, he was a singer and square dancer on Country Hoedown, a CBC TV program, back when the audience would ride dinosaurs down to the studio. I vaguely remember him from back then, or think I do.)

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What a great thread! What great links!
Here are a couple of things I like. The first is debatable as far as being country, although its an old, old song. Unbelievably, it was recorded in a dorm room. Please watch. The second is definitely country.
Dave
YouTube - "The Water is Wide" (traditional song)
YouTube - Ian Tyson Sylvia Fricker Judy Collins "Someday Soon" live

DaveNoCal...thank you for the Water is Wide link! That was very beautiful. Have you listened to Eva Cassiday's version? Eva was a truly special singer.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm generally not a fan of country music. However, I do enjoy

Emmylou Harris
Gram Parsons
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Suzy Bogguss

And Patsy Cline was a sublime talent. One of the best singers of all time.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Astounding. He's 70 now, and looks it.
But I've just been listening to a lot of what seems to be recent stuff, and the rhythm's still completely there, and the voice is not the shipwreck one might expect.
(He nearly died six years ago, you know. Spent more than a month in a coma after an aneurysm burst in his abdomen. Took months and months to recover.
Lightfoot was a big big presence in my life way back when ...
And before his breakthrough, he was a singer and square dancer on Country Hoedown, a CBC TV program, back when the audience would ride dinosaurs down to the studio. I vaguely remember him from back then, or think I do.)

Interesting rubi.GL has a lot of good songs. Folk or not.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, twice a year, I can take an hour of Slim Whitman.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Slim Whitman always makes me think of the movie "Mars Attacks" :biggrin1:

Some of my favorite country/bluegrass songs:

YouTube - Iris DeMent - Sweet Is The Melody

YouTube - Dolly Parton - Coat of many colors

YouTube - Passionate Kisses ~ Mary Chapin Carpenter

YouTube - Sweethearts of the Rodeo- Midnight Girl Sunset Town (This is one of my "theme songs" as it describes my early life so perfectly!)

(The below contains the only footage of this song I could find on YouTube, unfortunately, it also has a lot of talking over the music. The song is the Spud Puppies - "National Road". The Spud Puppies are an Indianapolis-based bluegrass band and one of my favorite local bands when I lived there. )

YouTube - National Road Montage

YouTube - Osborne Brothers - Rocky Top

And I love the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack (and the movie itself, too!)

Some country-tinged rock that I like:

YouTube - Old 97's Murder (Or A Heart Attack) Voodoo Festival

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bluegrass yes. Nashville no. Bad pop country music is just as formulaic and contrived as the worst pophop on top 40. And involves the stupid cowboy hats. Keith Urban gets mad props for abstaining from the hat.

I can't play country for shit, so good players impress me greatly.

Alison Krauss, hellllz yes. Particularly with Jerry Douglas. That man is one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard, and she's a beautiful singer/violinist. Sorry, I won't call it a fiddle.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alison Krauss, hellllz yes. Particularly with Jerry Douglas. That man is one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard, and she's a beautiful singer/violinist. Sorry, I won't call it a fiddle.

Now that's what I am talkin' about. I knew Qua would come out for Jerry, 'cause Qua is a musical genius. Alison's brother Victor plays bass in Jerry's band but of course, you knew that.