Country Music

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

normally, i have always thought of country music as being a bit stupid, backward, and simplistic.

i still think most of it is (then again so is most pop music)

while some old "country music" like Johnny Cash is very good, i find most of it today to be rather annoying, thusly i never hear it.

however, i have recently been watching the "Making The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders" show (yes, i love them, ever since i was 6...what could be better then watching hot woman dance around in their bikinis and cowboy boots when you are 6)...the show is on CMT, which i guess is sort of an MTV for the country set.

anyway, I actually heard a pretty good song yesterday, that is now properly stuck in my head...it reminds me alot of a less rock and roll Allman Brothers tune (most specifically, Greg Allman's "I'm No Angel")

it is pretty good...it is called "Love Don't Live Here"...by a band called Lady Antebellum.

YouTube - Lady Antebellum - Love Don't Live Here LIVE

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Some country music is dire, the 'my kids died, the dawg burned to death and dangnabit my best friend broke his ghee tar' type, but the last couple of years (maybe it's as I'm getting older) I find myself enjoying some country music much more - older stuff like Skeeter Davis and newer stuff like the Dixie Chicks.

3. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Most country music made in the last 10 years or so and played on mainstream outlets is horrendous. But there is a whole "alternative" country music scene populated with artists such as Hank III (Hank Williams grandson), Lucero, The Dexateens, The Gourds, Steve Earle, Max Stalling, Alejandro Escovedo (Shelia E's brother), etc...A lot of this stuff is a cross between country and rock. Come to Texas boy....I'll learn ya on some good music!

4. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Theres much more to country music than the twang of yesteryear, give it a chance and you'll see! besides she thinks my tractors sexy and loves my farmers tan. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

5. invisibleman

Gold Member

I like the Dixie Chicks. Keith Urban is the bomb!!!!

6. Flashy

Gold Member

lol

yes, that is exactly the type i was referring to...the farm was stolen by some ornery types and now i is gonna kill em all... :biggrin1:

but that song i posted was sort of good, even if the lyrics were a tad bit simplistic

7. Flashy

Gold Member

I live in NYC...that is as close as i like to get to Texas...:wink:

though i have stopped over in Dallas several times on the way to Mexico and had to sprint all the way across that gigantic sprawling airport to make my connection

:biggrin1:

8. Flashy

Gold Member

I am always afraid that if i go to Texas, I am going to be caught in the middle of some random range war...so I'll listen to the music instead

:wink:

9. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am stuck in the South being subjected by these simple minded folks and the music that gets them going. Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Lonestar, Keith Urban, Big and Rich, Carrie Underwood etc. Most of these "musicians" don't write their own music (except for the pretty talented Keith Urban) and are pretty vapid in style and scope. They are pathetic and unable to express themselves in their "art" other than in the stupid fucking situations that they illustrate in their songs. Although songs like Garth Brook's "The Dance" are nearly flawless, they are almost NEVER written by the artist, with songwriting being a higher, almost sacred activity (that they are apparently not up to), they are left to just sing it like it was written.

The sad part is that most people that listen to country music are by and large Republican and on board with the whole conservative agenda. They are aggressive and violent people with a blood lust that cannot be quenched. It is with their support that America has killed countless Iraqis and wasted too many young soldiers lives.

Generally, if you listen to country music, you are "racist" to some degree, believe in Revelations as a historical document, detest people who read books and have a thirst for knowledge, have no real use for scientific theory and rational thinking, think that this earth is here for the humans to do what they want to with it, think that stem cell research is killing babies... I could go on and on...

THEY ARE WHAT IS RUINING OUR COUNTRY!!!!!!

Granted, there are exceptions to everything I just said, there are plenty of good hearted people who listen to country music... they are the salt of the earth, I have respect for them as human beings and don't wish to offend anyone with my gross generalizations, because they are just that... generalizations that lump whole entire groups together.

There is a total ring of truth to my generalizations though...

The South needs to get it's fucking act together if we as Americans are to rise up and evolve into something beautiful... because right now, we are de-evolving into paranoid xenophobes.

10. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Anything but the Dixie Chunks!!
    aaacckk!! :eek:

Heck, I'll even tolerate Laurence Welk up loud (
    and toned down a bit) before I'll EVER listen to the Dixie Chunks!! :biggrin1:

11. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I have a weak side for some country music artists.

I love the Dave Edmunds/Carlene carter duets.

I am a sucker for some of the old Bobbie Gentry LPs, especially her duets with Glenn Campbell. My all time favorite, I guess, is "Gentle on my mind". Or "Rhinestone Cowboy".

Wille Nelson has a fascinating voice, his country work is remarkable.

Sometimes, when I feel bad, I like to listen to Susie Stevens "Take me round again".

And the best thing is, when I am too drunk, I sing. The song I can sing best then is "Lone Star Man", but that is more a folk tune.

12. invisibleman

Gold Member

I dost smelleth a hater?!! More Dixie Chicks for me. :smile: You can have Britney Spears. Hehehe. :wink:

13. invisibleman

Gold Member

Whew. I agree. AMEN!!!:smile:

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Since listening to the Dixie Chicks I haven't become a racist, had sex with my brother, began to spout revelations or moved into a trailer.

15. whatireallywant

Gold Member

It's not just the South that is like this. I grew up in rural Indiana (ok it was southern Indiana, but that isn't "the South" :biggrin1:), and most of the people there were just as you described. And they thought I was weird! :eek: I guess coming from them, being thought of as weird should be taken as a compliment. :smile:

I now live in Texas and I actually don't see it so much here, but that's partly because I live in a city, and also because most of the people I associate with are college graduates or at least interested in reading and learning.

As for country music, I don't like the "I'm crying in my beer" stuff, but I do like the alt-country stuff and also Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc...

16. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:

17. whatireallywant

Gold Member

18. earllogjam

Gold Member

My first boyfriend introduced me to country music and I enjoy some of it now. Some of it is just too hick for me but it has really evolved in the last 10 years, ever since Garth Brooks and other cross over artists made it mainstream.

Here are some artists I have songs to on the o'l Ipod.

Sugarland
    Kenny Chesney
    Gary Allan
    Chris Cagle
    Tim McGraw
    LeAnn Rimes
    Vince Gill
    Trace Adkins
    Keith Urban
    Toby Keith
    Montgomery Gentry
    Alison Krauss
    Reba

19. DGirl

Gold Member

Diamond Rio is the best!!! I seen them in concert in New Jersey
    and in Kansas city Mo.!!
    I wish I could see them again in the future...."

20. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps country music, like wine, improves with age. I don't care much for the latest round of "big hat" country which reeks so much of the phony baloney jingo patriotism in vogue today. I do, however, find myself listening to country music vintage of 20+ years old or more: Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Hank, Jessie Coulter, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted