Court makes Connecticut 3rd state to allow gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nakedwally, Oct 11, 2008.

1. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. unique_exposure

unique_exposure New Member

Albums:
    YES! Thanks for the news wally!

3. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sure thing, it gets me all excited hearing news about Connecticut

4. B_New End

B_New End New Member

God's gonna send 10 more terrorist attacks and 5 more market crashes for this.

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Connecticut shouldn't really be that big a surprise although I'm not sure why I hadn't heard about this in advance. My mother has a home in Avon and politics there have been liberal since the days of Ella Grasso. The dominos are falling one by one; it's a matter of time.

6. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Great news Wally!!!

And I hope that's bad humor, New End.

7. mindseye

Gold Member

I agree that it was awesome, but I think the newspaper oversimplified the headline by saying the court "made" it happen: that kind of language incites right-wing culture warriors to rail against "activist judges". What really happened is more complicated than that.

The Connecticut legislature passed a civil unions bill in 2005, which was signed by the Governor, and which went into effect on October 1 of that year. Since then, a full-marriage bill has been introduced, has passed the state House Judiciary Committee 27-15, but the House adjourned before the bill was presented to the full house, so it would have been on the legislative agenda for the next session.

In the suit the Connecticut Supreme Court heard, the plaintiffs argued that the civil unions law violated constitutional equal protection laws, and the court agreed. (The bold-facing in the excerpt below is my own:)

At this point, the court cites several previous cases in which the language of the opinion supports the notion that marriage is more than just a set of rights; I find those citations personally compelling, but will omit them here.

So the can of worms is this: by attempting to find a middle-ground compromise, the legislature of Connecticut (not the courts) singled out one group for differential treatment, and even though the rights were the same, the differential treatment itself is held to be unconstitutional.

This is like the old Alabama bus laws: even though the front of the bus and the back of the bus followed the same routes and schedule (and so the "rights" were equal), the differential treatment was enough for the courts to strike down the practice as unconstitutional.

The courts may have made the final determination, but the legislature accelerated the case by trying to pacify bigots instead of doing the right thing in the first place.

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Yes, it's very good news.

And judging from New End's other posts, I'd say that he meant his statement to be taken as humor.

9. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am not even sure what to say this one, other than the fact that God hasn't punished me yet for my sexuality, All I know is that these attacks and market crashes happen due to poor government and poor choices of the people, but of course don't quote me on this, these things could happen for any number of reasons.

Yes it's true that the politics in Connecticut have been very liberal even during the time I lived there. I am just curious as to why it has taken this long. I grew up in a small town there and even then the people were very liberal

Draft saved Draft deleted