Cover Versions Of Songs, Better than Original

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, here's one, and it's definitely brave territory to claim

Tool's cover of Zep's No Quarter. It is unbelievable. My friend showed it to me and I was adament there was no way it could top Zep's. By the end of the song I agreed without qualification.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQGSykj6vo&fmt=18

I think Metallica's Turn the Page was awesome, but the one that really managed to eclipse the original was Whiskey in the Jar

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Stevie Ray Vaughn ruined Little Wing for me - if Hendrix were alive today he still couldn't bring what Stevie did to the piece. I know that's a bold statement.

It would be, if he hadn't been a god among mortals. I remember hearing about his death during football practice before one of my years in high school and thinking who the hell is this SRV guy everyone's so mopey about?

It wasn't until several years later in college that a girlfriend played Life by the Drop for me and I was hooked.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:heart: I forgot this song, and I used to sing it as a kid :heart: -

Angel from Montgomery by Bonnie Raitt
YouTube - Bonnie Raitt - Angel from Montgomery (live)

John Prine's original version
YouTube - John Prine : Angel From Montgomery

Sweet Dreams by Patsy Cline
YouTube - Sweet Dreams

Willie Nelson wrote and sang the original.
Per wikipedia I was incorrect, it was Don Gibson, not Nelson.
Cline released a cover of Crazy which Nelson wrote and originally recorded.

Not to be picky, but Ready For Love was originally recorded by Mott the Hoople and when Mick Ralphs left Mott and formed Bad Company they rerecorded the song. :smile:
:08: I heard Bad Company first and though Mott did a cover.
Forgive my ignorance. :)

It would be, if he hadn't been a god among mortals. I remember hearing about his death during football practice before one of my years in high school and thinking who the hell is this SRV guy everyone's so mopey about?

It wasn't until several years later in college that a girlfriend played Life by the Drop for me and I was hooked.
:heart: Great track! She was a keeper.:tongue:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hate to pick KISS over the Stones, but KISS' version of 2000 Man is much better than the Stones original, IMHO.

well, the ironic thing is that i was a Kiss freak in 1979 (age 8), so i first heard Ace Frehley's/Kiss version of 2000 Man, so that is what stuck with me...and wasn't until years later that i heard the Stones' version...

Kiss's version is great, but i fell in love with the Stones' version when i first heard it as well.

kind of a tossup since they are so different.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, here's one, and it's definitely brave territory to claim

Tool's cover of Zep's No Quarter. It is unbelievable. My friend showed it to me and I was adament there was no way it could top Zep's. By the end of the song I agreed without qualification.

EDIT: YouTube - TOOL- No Quarter (Alex Grey Art)

I think Metallica's Turn the Page was awesome, but the one that really managed to eclipse the original was Whiskey in the Jar

i liked that Tool version, but still not as good as the orginal.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also forgot that i like Bowie's version of China Girl better than Iggy Pop's and i have to say the Black Crowes' version of "Hard to Handle" just shades the original Otis Redding one.

and, as much as i hate to credit anyone for doing a Zepp song well, i have to say, that Sheryl Crow did a version of D'yer Mak'er that was really sexy as hell with her gravelly voice back in 1995 for the the Encomium tribute to Zeppelin.

it is not such a great version, but a woman's voice doing it sounded really good, and her oooh-ooohs were great.

YouTube - Sheryl Crow - D'yer maker

also The Robert Plant/Allison Krauss versions of "Killing The Blues" is beautfiul

YouTube - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Killing the Blues

and Nirvana's cover of "Here She Comes Now" (Velvet Underground) is amazing

YouTube - Nirvana - Here She Comes Now (Live Acoustic Radio Session)

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Last edited:

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wow...

i just found a cover that was apparently released in 1997...

it is some Finnish band called "HIM"...doing a version of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"

have to say it is pretty cool, really like the heavy guitar riff/rockin' version...(cept for the last 5 seconds or so, which sound really lame)

YouTube - HIM - Wicked Game Lyrics