Covid-19 Persisting Symptoms Or Effects..

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
We still know so little about the virus, it's long-term effects, how much/long immunity we have after recovery, and how severe any subsequent infections will be :(

Is anyone suffering from any persisting symptoms or effects after recovering from COVID-19?

It's been several months and despite working out every single day and eating healthy my lung capacity hasn't returned to normal. I've never had this problem before, but now I feel shortness of breath at the top of a flight of stairs, a steep hill, or after exerting myself :sweat:

I also have tinnitus that hasn't gone away since I recovered. A constant neverending ringing in my ears. It sounds like a little thing but it's driving me totally crazy: it affects my concentration, my sleep.. I have to have the TV or music on as background noise 24/7 even when sleeping (or trying to), but even so the quality of my sleep is affected (which has it's own list of effects).

I'm hoping that with enough time and exercise my lungs will recover but I'm worried that the tinnitus will stay with me forever - from what I've read about tinnitus there's no cure or treatment :(

Please take this virus seriously, it doesn't only affect the "elderly with preexisting illnesses" :rolleyes:
I'm young, was healthy with absolutely no preexisting illnesses and I almost didn't make it. Despite these complaints I can still count myself lucky to be making this post at all. We still hardly know anything about the virus especially in the long term, and as you can see there can be lasting effects that affect the quality of the rest of your life.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
tinnitus may stay with you. I have had it for decades, but learned to tune it out. It like playing a mind game with the ringing. Sleep is still an issue, but tv or background noise was not the answer for me. I lost the ability to hear high frequencies. Made music sound like garbage, and made hearing my wife talk very hard. I finally broke down and went to the ear doctor ended up in a special hearing aid that tuned the high frequencies down to a frequency I could hear. With them I can hear my wife, birds, the rain falling in the trees, and a world of other things. I've actually started listening to music again which I had quit listening to all together. If the ringing gets bad just bite the bullet and go get hearing aids that will help. I haven't had the plague, or from what I read it takes a long time to get your ability to breathe back. It seems to hit a whole lot more and just your lungs I hear it also attacks your kidneys, you'll liver, and can't attack your heart. I was just staying close to my doctor for a while and let him know if you feel anything different. It takes a while to get over this thing.

Reactions: WilliamG and nailz

palmer

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I had covid and managed to workout for an hour a day while I was quarantined in the bedroom and didn't have any long lasting issues after I recovered.
My wife on the other hand had issues with her thyroid and liver for 2 months after she came down with it.
She did have shortness of breath for a month afterwards but hasn't mentioned it in a while.

Reactions: g0nz0 and nailz

jake_30

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Sorry to hear you guys got I'll. Please be careful and ask your doctor before returning to vigorous exercise if you have recovered from COVID. Some are having myocarditis, which affects your heart and can put a lot more strain on it temporarily.

There are some 24 hour, relatively inexpensive spO2 monitors that you can manually view the results on your PC.

For tinnitus, see if you can find a good ENT, ideally one who has experience managing tinnitus. (IANAD).

Stay well.

Reactions: g0nz0 and nailz

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sorry to hear you guys got I'll. Please be careful and ask your doctor before returning to vigorous exercise if you have recovered from COVID. Some are having myocarditis, which affects your heart and can put a lot more strain on it temporarily.

There are some 24 hour, relatively inexpensive spO2 monitors that you can manually view the results on your PC.

For tinnitus, see if you can find a good ENT, ideally one who has experience managing tinnitus. (IANAD).

Stay well.
I have tried half the Dr. In my state on tinnitus. I tried it all, nothing worked. I just learned to live with it.

Spike Baltar

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My friend who had it in March yet was not severe enough to be hospitalized 'recovered' but has the same issues you describe 7 months later. At around 70, I imagine his new lung limitations could be permanent, or it could be a temporary deconditioning. Only time will tell. My other friend, a fit and trim 62 year old man, was killed by it. My former bosses family all got it, causing extreme fatigue.
I'm infuriated at people that scoff and downplay the seriousness of Cov-2.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Best wishes to all who have recovered. Our family lost a good friend to this horrible virus so I am happy to hear ppl making it through it.

Reactions: nailz

steel33

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I had no effects. Blood type O if that matters.

This is what is so bad about Covid, people like me get it and it only presents like the flu but others can get so ill. For people that know people like me with no lasting issues it leads them to believe it's not a big deal. I read a story from a nurse yesterday and she said that patients could be on their last breath and still not believe they had it. So how can you possibly make people with this conviction believe? You can't.

I still do all the protocols btw