Craigslist Rapist Has HIV

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, May 6, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

This is not the first time I have seen something like this in the news. Nor unfortunately, do I think it will be the last. My question is, why do cases like this seem more prevalent on craigslist.com than other sites such as AFF.com or perfectmatch.com. I'm sure even eharmony.com gets its share of psycho-losers. Has craigslist.com become the place for cyber-creeps to hangout?

Police: Craigslist Rapist Has HIV

DECATUR, Ga. -- DeKalb County police have charged an 18-year-old man for raping two women they say he lured off the popular website Craigslist.

Detectives say Allen Jamar McDowell of Decatur convinced two women on separate occasions to meet him at an apartment off Kensington Road. The apartment was vacant, but McDowell allegedly gained access and held the women captive while he sexually assaulted them.

Both cases weren't initially linked together and in fact, police didn't name McDowell as the suspect until recently.

"Our officers have been able to determine there was an incident in March and a second one in April. In both cases those victims did come forward to detectives and notify them of the sexual assaults, but it wasn't until an anonymous tip came in to Crimestoppers that our detectives were able to link this particular suspect with these two sexual assaults," said Mekka Parish, Public Information Officer for the Dekalb County Police Department.

McDowell faces a laundry list of charges including kidnapping, rape and reckless conduct for knowingly exposing someone to HIV. What police say they don't know is how long McDowell may have been soliciting women on the internet and if there are other victims out there who have not yet come forward.

"You never know how many women he may have actually reached out to," said Parish.

2. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

eeewwwww creepy!!!!!

3. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    If there is one group of sexual deviants that actually makes me angry, it's people who spread STD's purposely. At the age of 18, his intention seems quite clear. Unable to cope with the fact that he is now HIV positive, he seeks to take as many down with him as possible.

Sickening.

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Sadly, people get raped and people acquire HIV, Craigslist has little to do with it. Articles like this make people think if they avoid Cragislist or other sites, they'll be "safe". Wrong! Predators are everywhere, you have to take precautions and protect yourself no matter who, what, when, where, or how well you "know" someone.

*Thanks Dad and Grand for teaching me (and my cousins) how to defend ourselves armed and unarmed*

5. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    unfortunately this behavior of purposeful infection is becoming more common. though some do it more discreetly, convincing partners of monogomy so they'll have unprotected sex and contract the disease. i feel sorry for anyone who has the disease but that's no excuse to take your anger out on the world.

6. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember a case where a girl slept around with quite a few different young men (maybe a dozen, I think) and then declared her HIV-positive status online.

I'm partially mad at the guy in the OP because of further staining the already shitty reputation of single men everywhere.

7. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not just a blow to single men, but the world of dating. Most people know it's dangerous and hard enough but with these instances occuring more and more...

8. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    single men have bad reps because they don't call back, they don't keep their cars clean and they always try to convince you to have sex without protection

9. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    And all three of those things are false in my case.

See? That's my point.

10. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    it was a joke. and i forgot to mention that all single guys are afraid of commitment :tongue:

11. Principessa

Gold Member

They don't keep their cars clean? :confused: What kind of straight men do you know? You forgot to mention they leave wet towels on the floor, and refuse to introduce you to their friends.

12. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    and they always sleep with your best friend too

13. Principessa

Gold Member

hahaha nope never had that happen though I did have one cheat on me, it wasn't with anyone I would consider a friend.

Too be fair we have culled a list of the worst stereotypes of straight men.

14. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    yeah, it was all in jest, unlike most people i know that stereotypes are useless, lazy ways of categorizing people.

**puts on vintage pink tee, hops in mini-coupe, turns on house cd and vogues in the side-view mirror**

anyhow, back to the OP: there was a guy in a boston college a few years back having unprotected sex with girls when he knew he was positive. the police (or some enforcement agency) rode through his hometown announcing on a loudspeaker that he was hiv+ and to call the authorities if you see him cuz he wasn't telling his partners he was positive. i hope they caught him though i don't remember if they did or not

15. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I'm all for awareness... but dragging C'List into it... can't they just say online. Drag them through the mud, so the vermin find another forum?

[disclosure: I've dealt with (and donated too much) with Newmark and Buckmaster to let them and what is Craigs' to be labeled as a MySpace piece of trash]

16. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    is it craiglists fault?? no. is it the members fault?? no, apparently the blame traces back to a guy who had sex with a monkey, lol. just playin, blaming the website for somebody's wrongdoing is like blaming a pre-school for makeing it easier for pedophiles to locate children. would hiding children in trees end pedophilia?? nope, crime is going to happen no matter where. i don't see any guilt on the site's side

17. transformer_99

Gold Member

I have no issue with indicating the details of the news story. Unfortunate it's Craig's list, as this story was not intended to be a perversion from the Craig's list ownership's original concept, but it's no more damning than indicating that there was a mall shooting at any specific local mall in Anywhere, USA. The awareness supercedes all those involved in the story.

18. B_The Greek Dude

B_The Greek Dude New Member

A lot of people roll their eyes at me and tell me that i'm too paranoid, or "hysterical" when it comes to sex. Well, there are people like this out there, and i'm really not into the whole "allowing one person to ruin your life and to slowly kill you" thing*.

*Make a marriage joke and I will kill you with a stick.

19. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    i don't make marriage a joke, but the more-than-half couples who divorce do

Draft saved Draft deleted