Crazed Canuck Kills CEO at Christmas Party

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Police: Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party
    Sunday , December 14, 2008

A recently fired Canadian man was charged with first degree murder after he allegedly shot and killed his boss at his former company's Christmas party.

Eric Allen Kirkpatrick, 61, who was fired from his job in Vancouver-based TallGrass Distribution, was accused of fatally shooting Benjamin David Banky, Vancouver police Constable Tim Fanning said.

At least a dozen people were at the party when Kirkpatrick entered at about 4 p.m. and opened fire, according to authorities.

Police locked down the neighborhood and Kirkpatrick gave up about two hours later. Other partygoers were not harmed in the incident.

Witnesses told CTV.ca that police spent about two hours negotiating with Kirkpatrick before bringing him into custody.

"He was giving them a bit of grief, he was saying that his cuffs hurt, but he was following orders," a witness said.

TallGrass Distribution is a natural health product supplier.

Click here for more on this story from CTV.ca.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    I feel bad for the deceased mans family. :frown1: It's always awful to lose a loved one to violence; but when it happens at Christmas it seems particularly heinous and difficult.

I thought Canada was one of those civilized countries where people didn't use guns except for target shooting and hunting. :confused: At least that's the impression I had due to the attitudes expressed on this site whenever there is a mass shooting in the United States. :mad:

2. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    30+ Million people, a handful of crazies, do the math. This is not a regular occurence in Canada, or anywhere else for the matter.

3. AG08

Gold Member

Yes, unfortunately we have nut jobs here as well. I don't think any country can claim to be 100% crime free. Murders happen everywhere in the world and Canada is no exception. However, on a per capita basis, the murder rate here is quite low compared to other countries. We have strict gun control laws and our constitution does not guarantee citizens the right to bare arms. However, illegal (smuggled) guns are and always will be a problem. It's impossible to patrol every inch of the Canada/U.S. border and to monitor everything that enters the country. These guns usually end up in the hands of criminals, gangs and lunatics who have no regard for human life. It's a very tragic event, especially just before Christmas. So much for "peace on Earth and goodwill towards man". :frown1:

4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    This truly is a terrible story.

However, I'm looking for my copy of Crazed Canucks I Have Known right now because I'm going out to the theatre with one tonight; they're listed alphabetically and it's been filling up rapidly of late. I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    No need to get defensive or nationalistic about it NJ. The US does have a 300% higher murder rate than Canada.

Murders are always tragic events no matter where or when they happen. Someone's loved one dies.

In Canada, knives are the weapon of choice. I guess we are less deterred by the messy nature of hand-to-hand killing and the need to look your victim in the eye.

Some stats from McClean's magazine July '08:

A. One-third of Canadians own a gun or guns; 90% of Americans do. (is it really that high? Seems unbelievable to me)

B. Canada has 60 gun murders for every million people annually; the US has 340.
    C. Canada annually has 190 total murders per 1 million population; the US has 570.

• Of the 190 people per million who are murdered in Canada, 60 die by bullet, 130 by some other means (knives mostly). That’s 31.5% by guns.
    • Of the 570 people per million murdered in the US, 340 die by bullet, 230 by some other means. That’s 59.6% by gun.
    • The murder rate overall in the US is 300% of Canada’s.

6. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

What he said./\

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Agreed no need for the harsh attack on Canada, we are a pretty peaceful neighbor.

8. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    In all fairness, this did happen on the Left coast..... :rolleyes:

9. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    What a horrible, horrible thing. I feel so sorry for the families.

Rage runs amok in the most heinous, destructive way when some dudes feel they have nothing left to live for, and assign the blame to someone else for their misery. Strangely, he didn't take his own life.

Americans are pretty similar to Canadians, in my experience. Deviant behaviour doesn't define the character of either nation. They're the tiny exception to the character of most people we'd generally meet, but outrageous acts like this get so much attention when they happen, it's magnified beyond real proportion in our minds. Canadians may come off as being smug on some of the threads here, but we don't have grounds to profess being superior. We really aren't that different. Everyone is an individual.

Damn. It must suck to work in HR this year.

#9 rawbone8, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

the primary variable in crime statistics from one nation to the next is REPORTAGE.

Place no faith in low crime statistics. The USSR had the lowest crime statistics of all... because they didn't want anyone to realize that crime was rampant.

In the US, crime statistics from the 50s show astonishingly low figures for rape and child molestation...
    But all experts agree that those figures simple reflect that MOST crimes went unreported due to unwanted social stigma.

Crime, like other human behaviors, follows certain predictable trends, depending upon population density and disparity in affluence.

Crime in parts of the nation were most people are poor is low as it is where most people are Rich.
    But in areas where the poor daily rub shoulders with people living far better than them, crime is high.
    And that rate increases as population density rises.

England's experiments with penal colonies also proved that criminality is based on opportunity more than upon character. No matter how many criminals you banish, the percentage of criminals in society remains constant.

This shows that 'criminal' is nothing more than a survivable NICHE within the eco-structure of our society. If you jail or export a criminal, and leave open that niche... someone else will move to fill that niche.

Like welfare or even panhandling.... it is no different than eco-systems.... if it is possible to survive in a given role... then someone will be happy to take that role and satisfied to stay there.

The solution to crime is FEWER unwanted babies, a more compassionate attitude and a more homogenous society in terms of affluence.

Draft saved Draft deleted