Crazy Question: Sorta Sociology: Family

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
then i can honestly tell you that, as long as it's healthy, i won't give a damn.

...the idea of me being guarded about my sexuality is incredibly funny though.

Charlie14

Just Browsing
Media
You don't think women are guarded about there sexuality compared to men?

I think if you went on a men's site and asked a question about sexuality you would get a far different reaction than here.

Take this site.. it is predominantly frequented by men and very few women. Go to a site on women or big boobs.. you won't find mostly women there.

Am I wrong here?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks to another LPSG member, I've already realized that if I have a son he might grow up to be hung like his daddy. We've been joking about that a lot lately because I have an ultrasound coming up soon and we may get a first glimpse of the sex.

It would not bother me in the least. I would treat him like he's totally normal if he's hung or not.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You don't think women are guarded about there sexuality compared to men?

I think if you went on a men's site and asked a question about sexuality you would get a far different reaction than here.

Take this site.. it is predominantly frequented by men and very few women. Go to a site on women or big boobs.. you won't find mostly women there.

Am I wrong here?
in general?
...no, i don't think so.
to generalise to the extreme?
men talk about sex in public, but it's mostly swagger and bravado. there's very little open talk.
women talk about sex and sexuality with friends/family, going into detail and are very honest about the emotions involved.

ever read cosmo? we talk about sex a lot!

am i guarded? no. i'm open to the point of rude.

Charlie14

Just Browsing
Media
Thanks Petite. I wonder why it affects some people and not others? Is it about sexual addiction? I have found that I have an addictive personality myself. I could see that in my family members too, both mom and sister and even my dad but I never knew him, just what I had heard.

Charlie14

Just Browsing
Media
in general?
...no, i don't think so.
to generalise to the extreme?
men talk about sex in public, but it's mostly swagger and bravado. there's very little open talk.
women talk about sex and sexuality with friends/family, going into detail and are very honest about the emotions involved.

ever read cosmo? we talk about sex a lot!

am i guarded? no. i'm open to the point of rude.

But even the sex talk in magazines like cosmo is guarded I think. I think there is a lot of stuff going on with women sexually below the surface that isn't talked about. But they have been conditioned this way for a long long time.

I think the way women act sexually when drunk is a good example of this. I don't think men need alcohol to be overtly sexual like this.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But even the sex talk in magazines like cosmo is guarded I think. I think there is a lot of stuff going on with women sexually below the surface that isn't talked about. But they have been conditioned this way for a long long time.

I think the way women act sexually when drunk is a good example of this. I don't think men need alcohol to be overtly sexual like this.
but (generalising horribly) men never get much deeper than ''look at the tits on that!'' and ''yeah, i gave her one!''
i don't think it's that it's guarded in women. i think it's just expressed in a way you find hard to understand.

Charlie14

Just Browsing
Media
Another example of this is that I think women become more like men sexually as they get older.. like when they say women are in their sexually peak as they are older.. my feeling is that they just are more open sexually when older. But this could be societal too...

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Another example of this is that I think women become more like men sexually as they get older.. like when they say women are in their sexually peak as they are older.. my feeling is that they just are more open sexually when older. But this could be societal too...
nope.

Charlie14

Just Browsing
Media
You know.. I just realized why we could be having such a disconnect here.. you are from the UK.. I don' t know if this is the case but from what I have experienced from UK women they are very different sexually than women in the US.

Women in the US are much more uptight about sex in my experience (on a whole).. this could be from the US's puritanical history.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You know.. I just realized why we could be having such a disconnect here.. you are from the UK.. I don' t know if this is the case but from what I have experienced from UK women they are very different sexually than women in the US.

Women in the US are much more uptight about sex in my experience (on a whole).. this could be from the US's puritanical history.
i've been there, i have friends there.

i think that maybe you just don't have the right sort of relationship with any women for them to talk to you.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I will likely know if my future sons have unusually large or small penises. We are nudists. Perhaps my children will be like I was, and suddenly want to hide their bodies from everyone when they hit puberty. I certainly won't stop them.

By the time my father got to know me, my breasts had developed pretty well. I was nine. When they kept growing, he became sporadically protective, but not nearly as protective as my mother.

My mother had a reputation for being over-protective of me. When boys would approach me, their friends would ask them if they knew who my mother was. Once they knew, they would no longer speak to me. I wish I was making this up.

On the other hand, this is the same mother who saw that as a baby I was stiff, where most babies are limber. When trying to make me stretch at home wasn't improving my flexibility, she enrolled me in ballet, and made me stay there for tn years despite my utter lack of talent for dance. Years later she confessed she did it because she was afraid I wouldn't be flexible enough to be a good lover, and she wanted my life to be fulfilling and my experiences to be well-rounded.

I do think some parents think this way about their children's bodies, and only hope most of the ones who do are as benevolent as my mother.

So. When the time comes, and I notice my boys' developing bodies, and if I see anything unusual, what will I do? I doubt I'd say anything. I doubt I'd see their erections, anyway. They will have been told by their father that erections, though natural, are private, and likely taught to cover erections when not alone. I'm hoping that we will have fostered an environment where questions can be asked, even embarrassing ones. I expect my husband to teach our hypothetical boys to stretch and kegel, and encourage them to spend as much time masturbating as they like, so they can learn about their bodies as we learned about ours. But I would want these things regardless of their penises' sizes. Outside of any issues of selecting appropriately modest clothing, and explaining why clothes need to look a certain way, I really can't see why a well-hung child needs different treatment.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe it's the kinds of women I attract... I tend to attract extremes.. ether extremely innocent or extremely the opposite.

You ask questions, but you are already a full vessel. It's hard to open up to a man who knows everything. This isn't meant as an insult, rather something to ponder. If this is how some women see you, this is the reaction they may have.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Regarding the initial question - WTF??????

I believe that there are more men in the science fields, but there are still plenty of women. But what the hell does analysing yourself and others have to do with science anyway?

Women are MUCH more likely to analyse themselves and others than men are. This supported by the number of women who take sociology and psych degrees.

Charlie14

Just Browsing
Media
Subgirrl, I was talking out of my arse.. I was just feeling defensive. This isn't something I am really comfortable talking about plus I have problems expressing myself at times.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I will back Charlie up about his jumping into a myriad of unrelated topics out of his frustration with this topic. He is a very sincere guy and I've seen that side of him after the fact. After visiting with him a bit more behind the scenes, there seems to be a bigger issue going on than the question that was asked.

I rarely jump in to take up for people, but he is getting some of his questions answered in PM from a few people where it might actually make progress with his questioning some of the familial relationships going on around him.

He has some explainations for his thinking that makes things a little more clear to me and i was the harshest one who responded to him earlier today. Sometimes we just don't know where to start asking strangers about problems that have much bigger storylines that are hard to go into.

It's easy to get defensive when you don't understand whats going on.