Crazy things you did as kids to entertain yourselves

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

This wasn't terribly crazy but one winter the sidewalk froze up in front of my house and we used it as a skating rink. I don't recall if we added extra water to it to get it to freeze or not, but we would spend hours sliding across it on our sneakers or boots.

I'm surprised my parents didn't object to it since it was such a hazard. We could not step on it without slipping. One time a lady came by in heels ( a real sourpuss librarian) We were expecting her to fall, but she just walked over the ice like it was nothing.

2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    tear my toys apart to see how they work.

My brother and I started a fire in my dads barn.

I burn't myself up pouring gas on a fire.

We used to make these smoke bombs out of salt peter and surgar and would set them on the roadway.

Me and a friend climbed a bridge once and dumped a bucket of dirt down on a unsuspecting vehicle, thank god it wasn't someone in a convertable.

And a friend once took my brothers bb gun and shot at a moving vehicle and broke out his side window. The state police got involved in that one.

3. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    so many to choose from...but here's one thing:

I used to think it was fun to wrap myself in a blanket & throw myself down a flight of stairs...

4. maestro071

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As a kids, we practiced one not so nice game. We would put shit rolled in a newspaper. Then put in the front of the neighbours doors, made the fire and ringed the bell. People would always react on the same away: shocked, trying to stop the fire with their foots...and just after a while they would realize they stepped in the shit... I still lough when thinking of that...:biggrin1:

5. Shelby

Gold Member

We used to make "UFO's" using a plastic bag from the dry cleaner, heavy duty drinking straws, rubber bands and birthdays candles.

When properly assembled the candles would inflate the bag and away it would float.

We're lucky we didn't burn the town down.:tongue:

6. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Around age 5 or 6, a male cousin and I decided to play "service station" (that and "filling station" is what people then referred to gas stations as.)

We filled our grandmothers car tank with China berries. She had to have the gas tank removed, opened and cleaned out.

Were we punished? So long ago I really don't remember. :rolleyes:

7. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    < 6 Climbing up the wrought iron trelliswork of a neighbours house and jumping off the roof onto the front lawn over and over again.

6-10 Climbing as high into trees as I could get and, on the farm my babysitters had, jumping out of the loft into piles of hay.

10-12 Scampering around the cliff-face behind our apartment building.

Huh, apparently I was doing everything I could to catch gravity's attention.

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

We also used to walk to Newark Airport to hang out and occasionally "goof on people". We lived in Elizabeth, (where part of Newark airport is...Terminal A) One time we got busted and the cops drove us back to town. It was cool sitting in the front of a cop car.

9. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yea. That one was always fun

1. "Read" my dad's hustler mags. My momma never took any initiative to trow them away after she died. The girls looked so much better back them.

2. Put cherry bombs in bags of dogshit and put them on people's porches.

3. I was about 9 and there was this one junkie that was always around my block. So on the 4th that year , my sister and I theifed one of my uncle's cigarettes , took most of teh tobacco out , and put a firecracker n it. It dodn;t blow up in his face though. It was in his hand.

4. Set the top of my grandaddy's barn on fire with fireworks one time.

5. Find random shit in the pantry and mix it together. Then get spanked.

6. Make believe like I was Captain Planet or one of the Swat Cats.

7. Imitate Michael Jordan, Deion Sanders, Jerry Rice, and Greg Maddux.

8. Watch All That and Keenan And Kel.

You guys everremember the nostalgic smell of your father's smoke mixed with shaving cream ?

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was 8 and my brother was 6 and he wanted to fly. I helped him make a set of wings and let him jump out of the barn loft. He broke his arm.

We had a big plum tree next to the garage and use to have plum fights. One team on the roof and one on the drive. Fucking plums everywhere.

We stole my Mum's apple box, covered it with roofing tar and charged 10 cents for boat rides at the beach. When the old man found out he was really pissed. Not so much about renting out the boat, but because he had to make a new apple box.

We went to Catholic school for a year and on Saturday's when the folk went grocery shopping, my brother would put on a white sheet and lead us in a comic "mass". I still remember praying, "Hocus pocus dominocus".

We blew up a lot of pumpkins on halloween with cherry bombs. And one year set a bag of dog shit on fire on the front porch of the neighborhood's mean old man. When came out, he stomped on it to put out the fire. :eek:

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    1. Provoking stinging insects by urinating on their nests.

2. Floating down marginally unsafe rivers on inner tubes and cheap toy store rafts.

3. Jumping bicycles over hazardous chasms and objects a la Evel Knievel.

4. Engaging in pitched battles using sticks, BB guns and rocks.

5. Scaling cliffs, rocks and spans without full consideration of the hazards.

6. Body surfing during periods of high swell.

7. Racing bicycles and skate boards pell mell down steep roads and sidewalks (this was San Francisco after all) like Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

8. Feeding our parents' dogs raisins or other flatulence inducing foods.

9. Taunting and teasing large, dangerous farm animals.

10. Most of the time our parents turned a blind eye to our nefarious adventures until some mishap required their attention. Given all that freedom extended to us, the most hazardous thing we ever dared to do was ignore one of our parents' direct commands.

12. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Putting smokeless gunpowder in a coke bottle, bury it part way in the sand, and light it. After trying it once with black powder, I never did it again.

I rubbed mercury on some of the silverware, which continued in use. We used to put it on dinnerplates and roll it around. I still have a pint bottle of it.

We also used to dig tunnels through the sand. They would eventually collapse when it dried out. This was on the east coast of Florida.

My parents were not over protective, don't recall them saying anything after any of these things. One of my teachers inquired bout my singed off eyebrows once.

Also used to catch any snake I saw, and keep them a few days, sometimes they would be coral snakes or pygmy rattlers.

#12 kalipygian, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  13. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    My and my sister would chew on saltine crackers and spit them out into our hands and roll the mushed crumbs into balls.

My and my cousin would rip rollie-pollies in half and get grossed out by the guts.

14. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

When I was real young (younger than 3), my brother used to dress me up in my moms makeup and clothes. When I was five, me and two of my friends decided to repaint our newly-remodeled basement with pea green exterior trim paint while my brother (who was supposed to be baby sitting) slept on the couch upstairs... that didn't go over well. We painted the walls, the floors, the wet bar, my fathers leather recliner, and somehow even managed to climb the wet bar and paint part of the ceiling. When I was 13-ish, me and my friends snuck out at around 2am on a weeknight in the middle of summer... we gathered as many candles as we could, and walked across the street to a really snobby neighborhood... we then lit the candles, and proceeded to walk the streets singing Christmas carols at the top of our lungs. :tongue: That one was fun.

15. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

my parents used to have this huge roll-out mattress they kept in the garage. both my siblings and i used to drag it out and we had adventures with that thing. sometimes it would be a boat and we'd go sailing. other times it'd be a giant monster coming to get us and we'd hit it with my brother's plastic baseball bat or throw tennis balls at it.

a few years ago my sister told her best friend about our good times with the giant mattress. she was like, "awww! you guys, i would have sooo loved to play too!!!" :biggrin1: that's how i know playing with the mattress wasn't a stupid idea!

16. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    We used to take our tiny 3.3 HP stainless steel boat from Ephraim WI to Horse Shoe Island and the Strawberry Islands. The engine had a tiny built-in gas tank, so we had to carry a large tank to refill it during the trips. The boat was very tippy and could have been swamped very easily. Also, it leaked except when moving. I doubt that our parents knew what we were doing because it was very dangerous.

We also used to make silver coins (remember them?) shiny by rubbing mercury on them. We had a pint bottle half filled with mercury. I used to do experiments with electricity using mercury and you could see the mercury vapor rising. At that time, no one knew any better. And now people are worried about the tiny amount of mercury in compact fluorescent lights.

Once we found a stone shapped almost exactly like a quarter pound of butter. We colored it yellow with a crayon, put a butter wrapper around it, and put it into a pound butter box with 3 sticks of butter in it. Our mother didn't even notice the difference in weight. She thought that the color looked a bit off, but didn't realize what it was 'til she tried cutting it. At least she thought that it was funny.

I unbolted and removed the fan from my mother's 1950 Chevrolet. It didn't overheat except when the engine was running with the car standing still. After a few weeks, mother was sitting in the car talking to a friend outside of the car. Eventually, her friend said, "Mary, your car is steaming!!" So, mother did the worst thing possible. Instead of driving off quickly so that the moving air would cool off the engine, she shut off the engine and water and steam shot out. She and dad were not very happy with me.

#16 FRE, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  17. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Attacked bumblebees with badminton rackets.

It was VERY effective. Flower garden right next to the pavement = many dead bees. They have surprisingly weak bodies. Because they were so pathetic no one got bitten or stung.

Then we moved on to attacking hornets with miniature baseball bats. That did not end well.

18. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Climb up a two story cliff in a limestone quarry in Southern France.

19. omgiswatdeysay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Friends and I would kick a rolled newspaper across the street to see how long we could keep it up, kinda our version of hacky sack.

We also put a nail strip in a pot hole up right up the street from one of their houses so when people would come around the corner, they'd hit the pot hole, catch a flat, and then we'd change it...for a "fee" of course! lol

20. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm recalling that friends of mine built a platform in a large tree that reached over a minor but well used roadway. Most of us dropped some cherries or water balloons on cars or trucks as they went by, but one of my friends got into serious hot water with a watermelon.

Good thing I wasn't there....

Draft saved Draft deleted