1. D_Josh Duhammer

D_Josh Duhammer New Member

So, I've recently started doing some serious working out, and am considering adding some supplements to my routine.

Has anyone used Creatine? I've done some research, and it seems pretty safe and promising.

2. D_Amadeus_Mofart

D_Amadeus_Mofart Account Disabled

Hey Bud,

I'm a personal trainer, and in pre-med currently.

My advice would be to stay away from the stuff. To put it simply, it's going to make you swell up and get bigger, but all it will do is pump water into your muscle fibers. As soon as you stop you'll "deflate" again.. so it'll be an expensive habit.

Also, you'll need to consume large amount of water.. otherwise you'll experience terrible headaches and hangover like symptoms.

As for the safe issue.. it's to soon to determine that fully. Sure there are trainers and nutrition companies behind the shit.. but that doesn't make it sense. The medical community hasn't proved it's longterm effects as it hasn't been on the market large enough.. BUT they're already starting to sense kindney and liver damages from long term users.

That's just my opinion.

Ty

3. vlls

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    yes, the later research says that's it's safe but I would stay away from it if you have any kidney issues or any history of that in your family.... oh and also... if you're a beginner i.e. < 2-3 years, i would stay away from it... you wanna know what ur body can do without these types of supplement before u go into them

4. SCSea

SCSea Member

Creatine is being used to prevent a specific type of brain deterioration in Parkinson's patients. I don't think it's unsafe if you choose a good supplier and stay inside the typical dose range.

5. D_Coupeland Clydesdale

When I first started taking creatine, I noticed a definite increase in muscle mass (especially arms), but for whatever reason that changed pretty quickly. I still take creatine because it seems to make me stronger. Not by much, but by some degree. (I realize this could be a placebo effect, but my job requires substantial lifting of up to 100 pounds many times a day, and it just seems a lot easier when I'm taking creatine.)

6. shinobi

shinobi New Member

Creatine has been around since the 70s,so its been on the market for a long time. its a great supplement. its not just water being pumped into your muscle fibers. id go into the details of atp and muscle growth, but im short on time. the long term effects are too much creatine in your system can produce a toxin called creatinane (sp?). that can be a bit dangerous. always consult your physican before use of a supplement if u have special cases and what not.im not a pre med major or certified trainer, just a guy with a brain who knows how to research, im not giving you opinions, just facts. you will see muscle growth, you will experience neg side effects if you dont follow directions. each supplement is different, some require you to load up, others dont, some require you to cycle, and others dont. if your unsure what any of that means. do some more homework. bodybuilding.com has some excellent articles on the matter.

7. monel

Gold Member

I have to agree with shinobi. I've used it without any ill effects. It does not artificially increse muscle size by pumping water into them (though it does increase water retention in the muscle tissue). It provides the muscles with an additional boost which allows for increased weights thereby making the lifting routine more efficient. It should also be said that creatine is naturally produced in the body.

8. bigirishman

bigirishman Well-Known Member

Albums:
    ya creatine is a good help but it will not just make you put on muscle. you need to eat a good high protein and nutritious diet (Zn Mg Vit C, B etc. . Work out hard. Rest even harder.
    If you need an extra edge to push yourself then creatine is good or even a No product

9. ThaiDude

ThaiDude New Member

bigirish talked about protein already ...

there are so many vitamin shops in the states ... we don't have something like that here in germany. so there must be a market for those products!

we are talking about supplements here ... are there any supplements that have no negative effect on your health, but a positive effect on muscle growth? maybe protein powder or other stuff !?

10. vhailor48

vhailor48 Active Member

a boy i went to school with used it and he was always cutting massive farts i wonder if it was because of it he was buff like crazy but he was very stinky cute but since he
    farted all the time it kinda made him gross dont get me wrong he had tons of girl friends but i could not see the apeel
    maybe it was just him but be careful it might make you have the gas real bad
    not that i would be upset about it any ultra muscle guy is super hot and if they are hung it is a bonus but being stinky is bad in general

11. twoton

Gold Member

Albums:
    Everything I've read about creatine is that it's safe and effective. Athletes who take creatine have been proven to increase explosive strength over short time periods. I.e., sprinters, oly lifters, powerlifters, etc. It will do less for you if you're into bodybuilding because BB has a different emphasis on muscle strength and growth.
    Further, it is probably helpful in preventing and healing injuries.

There's an international sports nutrition body, based in Australia I think, that gone so far as to say that banning creatine from sports would actually be unethical because of the benefits of injury prevention (among other benefits).

Bottom line: go for it.

12. darkbond007

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I take KreAlkalyn which is pretty good.

For a beginner the most important thing is high protein ratio and a really good multivitamin. Everything else you can incorporate once you become a steady gym attendee.

Draft saved Draft deleted