Creativity = sexually obsessed?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dongalong, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dongalong

Gold Member

I am a creative person doing a creative job in design. I, like my co-workers, seem to be more sexually obsessed than the average, less creative person.

Many famous artists, actors and musicians also seem to be aqually as obsessed.

Does anyone else agree with this correlation?

2. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Cool.

I've always been highly sexually charged. I know for a fact that both my parents are as well. I suspect there are genetics in play here.

I am creative in my own way too .... and I think it's all in the manner in which one looks at things generally. If I'm restoring an eighteenth century Georgian raised panel wall I do it with the same attention to detail as when I worship a fine cock.

Nothing gets a "lick and a promise" from me.

Conversely when I'm entirely uninterested in something I pay it no specific attention.

**dongalong? Has anyone ever told you that you have lovely tits?:biggrin1:

3. dongalong

Gold Member

I frequently get complimented on them, but they're doing my back in!:tongue:

4. fortiesfun

Gold Member

There is a completely unsurprising, but extraordinarily well-documented, correlation between making careers in creative professions and being extremely open-minded (read creative) about sex also. It is very hard to disentangle that from high libido, because if one is open to sexual adventure and experimentation the amount of sex one has is logically larger than it is for individuals who shut down possibilities. In so far as one can draw a conclusion from the literature, however, it is true. Artist, musicians, actors and writers tend toward higher sexual "obsession" as you put it.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

That depends on what you call "obsession." I'm not obsessed, I don't think, but I am comfortable with my libido. Some people seem to think that freely admitting that one really really likes sex is the same as an obsession.

I'm guessing that creative people would tend to be more openminded about enjoying sex, and less likely to take the "Concerned Women for America" repressed politicized view.

This touches, somewhat, on my thread in "Etc Etc" about "your fantasies and comfort levels." Please have a look there and comment.

6. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

I happen to think because artists have always been afforded a bit more leeway in terms of their personal expression of self and passion,the creativity/sexuality issue may be as much nurture as nature. The term "bohemian" has been synonymous with free thinking, and on occasion free loving. I know there are always hybrids, but I think the common denominator in all of this is that many or most of those who truly love their art or craft are people of passion. So it cant help but permeate all aspects of their being.

7. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm a designer...and I'm not obsessed with sex....at all. None! Nope! Not me!

8. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Yes exactly DC. That's why I referred to myself as 'sexually charged'. An obsession by its very nature suggests something unhealthily over-the-top and indulged too often. I feel nicely comfortable about my libido as you so rightly call it.

Sex I take as seriously as all the other passions in my life; the more creativity the better.

9. naughty

Gold Member

Stronzo,

You are so right. Usually when people talk about any type of addiction they are also feeling out of control, compulsively acting out their addiction, with the highs and lows that accompany it and a great deal of shame and secrecy. Doesnt sound like a good time to me.

10. dongalong

Gold Member

11. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

Sex occupies my mind a lot. I have been known to be creative. There seems to be a correlation.

It probably is more to do with free thinking and a more open mind than most people.

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

That's just what I mean dongalong.

It's not "excessive" nor is it a "preoccupation". This is what I'm trying to get across.

Excessive implies too much. I don't have sex (or think about it) "too much" so that it impedes my daily life.

Preoccupation implies I'm overly concerned with it. I'm not. I know my interest in it is healthy.

There's no compulsivity in my fondness for getting laid.

The word "obsession" has a negative connotation no matter what source you reference.

13. yup ... at least it's true for me. I'm somewhat of a photographer & only slightly sexually charged ... :rolleyes:

14. dongalong

Gold Member

Personally, unless I am passionate about a project, I fluctuate between sexually charged and obsessed!

I also find that thinking about anything other than what I am doing opens my mind and makes me truly creative.

The "excessive" part is usually when my sexual thoughts take over my imagination.

15. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

It's no real secret that some of the best female comic superhero artists for Marvel, DC, etc, are either sexually obsessed, & frustrated.

16. Gisella

Gold Member

For sure depends...

Imaginative, passionate, sensitive people, criative people are interesting..many of us are but the artistic can be very self absorved and eccentric and a not very enjoyable way...i dont find appealing the expression obssesive and addicted applyed to sex bcause at least to me my experiences is not the sex that move me but the unique individuals that have that something the chemistry and compatibility and talk the same language and etc

Like we are in love with ourself we move cool and hot with our own beings and they are in love with themselves the same way and we meet we love what we feel from many layers of us..and then we connect and have great expressing sex...than for me the expressive the ones who find the expressive channel they are good in move in it are creative expressing what is colorful and hot and rytmic and appetizing and soo many things that move us like magnet.

I used to think i like intelectual artistic..but some are the most boring as expressing simple basic things...seems they complicate the basic and simple things...than i find mysel attracted to the wise that capture things by observing life and find ways to express it in such original ways! Its colorful and full of life and they may even do not like sex...the plastic sex made by demand in mass production by the industry that dictates what is sex...

Than who knows what and who is artistic and creative? Depends... bcause seems very little is created and lots are imitated.

17. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I'm not on a classic "creativity job", but I'm still sexually very charged and a sexual personality. Maybe artists with excessive creativity or a generally overflowing personality tend to make more fuss about their sexuality.

Once again, it's about avoiding generalization.

18. dongalong

Gold Member

I'm talking about those people who have ideas that have never been seen before, or performances that have never been performed in such a way.

Those bullshitters that just talk about all things creative, do not have a creative mind - they are probably the ones that bored you to death.

Real creative people constantly have new ideas when they least expect them and usually get bored quickly so are often creative in every part of their lives including sex!

19. D_Iskepee_Longwoodee

I'm gay and becoming an architect (currently in school in Maryland area) and my boyfriend is a real estate developer and we are both highly creative and both very sexually charged! We are both gay, so I'm not sure if you meant that we are open minded about our orientation because we both are definitely not.

Draft saved Draft deleted