Crisis Exploitation and Fear Mongering

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_KendraLesnick831, Oct 9, 2010.

1. B_KendraLesnick831

B_KendraLesnick831 New Member

Is it my imagination or has the exploitation of crises become far more routine and almost the standard operating procedure compared to the past?

2. D_Asston Kutcher

D_Asston Kutcher Account Disabled

Yes and no. More and more things that are utterly meaningless or simply facts of life are being drummed up as being the worst or most important things ever just to feed off of and control the hysterical naive populace or build a loyal base of bored ignorant and looking for something to be pissed about/believe in followers.
    Plus there's the fact that you're simply more aware of that particular tactic of population/societal control now.
    Believe me when I say that that type of thing has been going on for a very very long time.

#2 D_Asston Kutcher, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  3. B_New End

B_New End New Member

4. mwealex

mwealex New Member

We are more tuned into events now than ever before and there is a lot of bad stuff that happens in the world. Regardless of that, politicians have learned that you can use fear to persue and propogate an agenda.

5. bananaclubcock

Albums:
    It is hard to measure whether it is actually appearing more often. But I think in recent years (past 10 or so) certain segments in society are seeing their traditional sources of power disappear and the last, desperate attempts to fight that trend involve freighting people.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

Shades of the Third Reich? :eek:

7. B_TonyK8483

B_TonyK8483 New Member

Personally I think their agenda is increasingly against the public will, and against the Constitution.

As a result they create crises to get people to agree to things that they would normally not agree to, and when that doesn't work, use the crises to push for secrecy, which then leads to extra legal activity

8. bananaclubcock

Albums:
    Good eye. Unfortunately "freighted" is closer to reality than it should be.

9. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    just recently there was some sort of security scare and the news was full of people arguing about whether the threat level should be lifted from appauling to hopeless, or whatever they call it. Then they went on about how the current threat level was already nearly as high as it could be.

So, I wondered, what would they have said 20 or 30 years ago had they then been in the habit of making such statements? At that time bombs were popping off around britain and in particular in London quite regularly. There were three where I used to live. Took them years to tidy up the high street after one. Sat there with half the road cordoned off for months. A damn nuisance. But life went on. More people killed by traffic accidents, and all that.

So now we get dire warnings the world is about to end... though nothing has actually happened.

Ive posted it elsewhere. 30 years ago you would not have been able to get away with this sort of scare tactics because a big chunk of the population still remembered a time when someone really had a go at blowing up the place. Modern efforts are trivial by comparison and as I said do not even challenge the number of traffic accident deaths. Probably more people choke to death while eating. (which can be quite dangerous)

10. earllogjam

Gold Member

Are you talking about 911?

I can't recall another time in history where 11 men have wreaked so much havoc, fear and opportunism, nor another time in history where so much money was made off a terrorist act in name of protecting us from terrorism.

It turns out that what we really needed was protection from all these self serving opportunists like Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and their ilk and how much they and their cronies have benefited exploiting our fears both financially and politically.

11. Jason

Gold Member

Yes. There seems close to zero public understanding of the threat levels in the UK. If we are going to have them we need to know what they mean.

But also what are we supposed to do when a security alert is at level X? We need guidance here. Should we be acting differently at level X than level Y? If yes please explain how. If no then what's the point?

12. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

The media and politicians like to make some threats seem worse than they are. Bird Flu etc. If we really saw the real crisis' than they'd be in some real trouble.

13. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    That was exactly MY first thought. I've often wondered how a fiercely rational people like the Germans could have "allowed" a madman to take over their country ---- fear AND apathy! As my niece once told me, "don't send me all that political crap!" ---- until you're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!!:biggrin1:

14. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    God...............I LUV that term, "extra-legal activity!" Thanks!

15. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You mean Kaiser WilhelmII? he got the job from his dad. Who got it from his dad. Though that dad was a self made man, er, emperor. Prussians. Oh you meant AH. Bit of light relief after the Prussians.

Draft saved Draft deleted