Crisis in egypt tells us its time to cut mubarak loose.....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cruztbone, Jan 29, 2011.

1. cruztbone

Gold Member

GOODBYE, HOSNI, you old tyrant, you. thanks for being there to do our dirty work for us and accepting our 3 decades shipments of tear gas, weapons and largesse ( and lets not forget killing and torturing gays, which you do SOOOOOOO well!)
    do let us know about your afterlife. maybe we can get the history channel to do a series about you. Toodles !:biggrin1:

2. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    "lets not forget killing and torturing gays"

Don't forget.... many of those protesting would/will do the same.

In Iraq during Saddam it was somewaht DADT, now that Sharia is open and regional....we know how that story ended. Careful what you wish for.

3. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    second time today someone has said 'careful what you wish for'. The US wished for leaders in the middle east hated by their own people and dependant on the US to stay in office. So what has it got now? whole countries which hate the US and everything it stands for.

4. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Let's not be hasty after all the Obama admin. likes him.
    Joe Biden says Egypt's Mubarak no dictator, he shouldn't step down... - CSMonitor.com

5. sargon20

Gold Member

Indeed one must be careful. There is no guarantee that his replacement will be an ally to the US or any Western government. If he is successful in surviving this uprising he will not soon forget who 'cut him loose'. If you pick the loosing side you will be out of the game for a very long time.

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I can't believe he will survive, but stranger things have happened.

So far, there seems to be little if any Islamist element in the protests, but the Muslim Brotherhood has not called its supporters out.
    My fear is that there will be a wave of Islamist anger set loose, and it will swamp the basically bourgeois wave of protest we see now, and ultimately seize power.
    Fascinating times.

7. midlifebear

Gold Member

It's not just in the Middle East. Friday's news in South America paid a bit too much attention to Obama's future visit to El Salvador (BIG problems kept under wraps by US news outlets be there), Brazil, Chile and NOT coming to Argentina. The "official" reason Obama isn't coming to Argentina is because of "scheduling conflicts" and the excuse that he doesn't want to visit a country during the same year they are having elections, because he might cause an imbalance in the popularity of incumbent candidates. This last excuse has never stopped a sitting president from visiting Spain, Germany, or France. And the US press has conveniently overlooked that he hasn't been "invited" to visit Argentina.

But the biggest issue is that the Argentine government has repeatedly said "No thanks" to the USA's insistence that Argentina buy a bunch of (exactly 33) F18s, along with a bunch of other stuff in a huge arms package. Argentina has openly pleaded with it's neighbors not to arm themselves except with enough protection to keep the borders free of illegal activities, especially drug traffic, and threats to the freedom of surrounding ocean waters. The majority of the pirates have left for better jobs with Disney. Argentina openly admits it doesn't have the money to buy 'Mericuhn, and they would rather use what limited funds they have to maintain their roads, hospitals, potable water, and pension funds. Somehow the USA doesn't get it. Today the government cried, "No queremos firmar tratados de seguridad y no qureermos firmar tatados de libre commercios". Pointing out how well that has worked for Mexico, Honduras, and Columbia.

However, if Sra Kirchner doesn't win the next election, her winning opponent will most likely spend the country back into general northern hemisphere slavery.

Yeah, 30 years of supporting Egypt's Mubarak to supposedly keep peace in the Middle East? Of course, there was the problem of Egyptian soldiers killing his predecessor during a military review 30+ years ago.

#7 midlifebear, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Aljazeera is reporting that there are no police on the streets of Cairo and Alexanderia. The people are forming neighborhood vigilante groups to protect their property. The police who were shooting protesters yesterday are nowhere to be seen when the people are in danger. Last night saw a human chain of protesters formed around the Cairo Museam to protect it from looters. It is right next door the the ruling NDP party headquarters which was burned to the ground last night.

I think that if this goes on much longer, the military will step in and remove Mubarak. I doubt that there would be an Islamic government coming. The Muslim Brotherhood is mostly a party of old men. The young people of Egypt aren't about to support another dictator.

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I really wish Time Warner Cable in NYC carried the US version of the Al Jazeera station. Would love to keep following up with this story.

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

#10 Mr. Snakey, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Al jizz really is the best mainstream news organization VB. They are all over this story.

I think it is interesting to contrast the reaction of the American government and media to the street protests in Iran in 2009, with the reaction to similar events in a friendly dictatorship. If they were smart they'd get 100 percent behind the protesters and back Elbaradei

12. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

You can watch Al Jazeera on the internet. Very interesting.

LIVE STREAM...

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Al Jizz. Hee hee hee!
    Whenever I travel overseas, I manage to find Al Jazeera News in their cable lineup. Much of the footage that was being shown on MSNBC yesterday regarding Egypt were video loops that were taken from Al Jazeera. This isn't the first time Time Warner - NYC fails to have an important channel, or at least one that I really want. The first was the Anime Network, but that's a completely different story. :redface:

I'll see how the live stream on the internet is working. Thanks for the link, Mr. Snakey. :wink:

14. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Not only does the world have Egypt to watch (can you imagine being a tourist in Egypt when all this broke?), but what about Yemen, Libya, and Jordan? This is one of the first times in my life that the Middle East has broken along lines of politics/people somewhat as I remember the fall of communism in Eastern Europe. Suddenly, the (relative) democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan look stable!

I'm wondering now if I should have visited Egypt over the past holidays instead of Europe. Has my window of opportunity to see the pyramids and the Nile closed? If I was there...I'd be with the people that formed a human chain around the museum...I really admire those folks.

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I doubt it. Tourism is about the most important source of foreign currency and employment that Egypt has. Any new regime or government will be sure to keep the industry going. If not, the country will be a complete basket case. I have been there four times and other than the ruins and museums and the seaside, it is not really a pleasant place. Cairo is really grungy.

16. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Egypt Leaves the Internet - Renesys Blog

Confirming what a few have reported this evening: in an action unprecedented in Internet history, the Egyptian government appears to have ordered service providers to shut down all international connections to the Internet. Critical European-Asian fiber-optic routes through Egypt appear to be unaffected for now. But every Egyptian provider, every business, bank, Internet cafe, website, school, embassy, and government office that relied on the big four Egyptian ISPs for their Internet connectivity is now cut off from the rest of the world. Link Egypt, Vodafone/Raya, Telecom Egypt, Etisalat Misr, and all their customers and partners are, for the moment, off the air.

17. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Weird...many ppl who feel the US should not play "policemen of the world".

Damned if we do/don't. Moreover, these days is damned if WHOM does it.

18. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    Supporting dictators and overthrowing democratically elected governments is a bit different than "damned if you do/don't" imho.

19. Drifterwood

Gold Member

The US double standard over Mubarak and say China is stark for all to see.

US power and self interest doesn't give a shit about freedom in Egypt or anywhere else for that matter. We all knew this didn't we? It's just cosy to pretend it is otherwise.

20. NCbear

Gold Member

Yep, the emperor has no clothes.

NCbear (who's sorry to say that the American Dream has been, is, and may always be irretrievably tainted by the degree to which we've been unable to understand and/or follow the principles in our nation's own founding documents :rolleyes::frown1:)

Draft saved Draft deleted