Critique my writing style-no haters just looking for advice

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_sugarandspice, Jan 1, 2008.

1. B_sugarandspice

B_sugarandspice New Member

I wrote a blog about some challenges I have had and then asked for advise. This is not for all my haters. I know they will jump at the chance to insult me but believe me I have had to deal with jealous people all my life and I just ignore negative and/or stupid remarks.
    http://www.lpsg.org/blogs/sugarandspice/critique-my-writing-style-no-476/
    So I am going to look up getting an appointment with the career counselor at the local community college but I am hoping for something easier,faster,and cheaper.
    Tutors are $60 to $100 here.
    I haven't even checked how much writing classes cost. I also heard that I have a right to special help or something but I haven't checked it out either.
    Do I really write differently or is it just haters talking shit as usual?

2. modulo

modulo New Member

Not sure what you're asking for here. Are you looking for someone to check the accuracy of your work (do you know about what you're speaking), structure/grammar/spelling, or your particular way of writing? If I might recommend a guide for you it's a short paperback called "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. You should be able to find a copy at any retail or college bookstore and your local public or college library. It is a classic guide and it is not complicated to follow.

Another thing I can recommend to you (and they might be difficult to find) are speeches by Hillary Clinton when her husband was the President. This is my only complement about her but I don't want to turn this thread into an upside-down political rant. Read or listen to her speeches. If you take your time and regardless of the content, you will notice that she not only speaks in complete sentences, but complete paragraphs as well. This is something that is very rare with speakers today and something that, if you choose to follow the style, can turn you into one hell of a writer. :wink:

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

From your postings, I would find it hard to believe anyone would hate you ... but for the type of critique you are looking for, there are online sites such as this one for writers that a bud introduced me to, as well as local clubs consisting of aspiring writers who critique each other's work ... I am unable to make specific recommendations, as I look only to myself to evaluate my work ... what I'll do is write something, then forget about it for a few days, then go back and evaluate it myself ... whatever you decide to do, keep at it, if you enjoy it

4. Pitbull

Gold Member

I have been told that I am a pretty good writer.
    Tried to read your blog and was unable to access.

PM me if you are interested in some feedback.

5. B_sugarandspice

ah, thanks.
    I guess you haven't seen the posts where my haters bitch,whine,and moan about my writing style. I guess I'll PM for the sites you mentioned.

Happy New Year!

6. RU8plusinNE?

RU8plusinNE? New Member

You've obviously gone through a lot, so you must be strong. You need to apply that strength towards those who might put you down. You have much more on your plate to worry about than a few people who may not like you or your writing.

From what I see you do ramble a bit and repeat yourself.

I know when I'm in writing mode I just let it flow then I go back and break it down. Sometimes moving sections, deleting others or making corrections .

That is what I do, you'll need to find what works for you. Have you thought of using a ghost writer? Someone who can either write what you dictate or go over what you've written and assist with puncuation, paragraphing, etc.

what ever you decide I'd say your doing pretty damn well for what you've been through. Good Luck.

7. B_sugarandspice

Thanks,
    I don't care about those people who don't like me. I want to correct issues with my writing style. I am going to get the books that were suggested. I prefer something on the web. I'll have to look into a writing class. I had to re learn drive so this is just one more thing to get past.
    I think I must need to learn more editing skills. I think I have gotten as far as I can without help so now I want to see what else I can do to get back everything I lost. I have only even been able to write this much for since last summer. Thanks for the advise.

8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

10. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

11. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Cluttered writing style indicates a cluttered mind.

12. jorpollew

jorpollew Member

Thank you for sharing your story. Your courage, determination and willingness to show your shortcomings say volumes about your personal strength and perseverance. You've got a good spirirt. I am humbled by it all.

Most of the replies you've gotten thus far are pretty good, so I will try to not duplicate the advice.

A fundamental question that I ask: For what and for whom are you writing? If your writing is primarily for personal expression and mental exercise, then use "poetic license" as your passcard and just go for it. Otherwise, if you're writing for professional or more formal purposes, then (for now) ask a friend to help you with editing and proof-reading. Always hold on to your rough drafts, edits and final drafts, and refer to them when you start to write something new again. If sometimes you want to write a "disclaimer" explaining your situation, then do so quickly (1-2 sentences) and move on. And do not be apologetic!

From a practical point: Many people make the mistake of writing the exact the same way that they talk. Most of the time it just does not translate very well, because the "spoken word" is quite different from the "written word". So, punctuation and phrasing are very critical tools for conveying the right idea to the reader. Whenever you proof your work, try to look at it with "fresh eyes"-- as if you're the reader seeing it for the first time. It's difficult to do at first, but it's a great writer's skill to hone and to have.

Also, I advise you is to continue writing and READING. Find a favorite book and notice the writer's use of grammar, punctuation, formatting and syntax. As "HOTMILF" suggested, find a writer's style and pattern your own from it. Do not plagerize. Using a writer's blueprint to help fashion your personal style is fine, however, your thoughts and words must always be yours.

My most important suggestion to you is DO NOT GIVE ANY MORE WORDPLAY OR AIRTIME TO THE HATERS AND NAYSAYERS!! With each moment and every word you spend writing about their negativity, you waste valuable energy and precious time you need for your positivity. Rather, you may want to write about your supporters-- the heroes and sheroes that have helped you through your fantastic journey. As a reader, I would prefer to learn about them and how much they mean to you. It would also make a wonderful writing exercise and challenge.

Finally, I want you to consider the blog that you just wrote as the first rough draft of your "Sugar & Spice Chronicles". Do not take it for granted. In fact, cherish it! No matter what anyone else thinks or says, always know that your ideas, your words are not idiotic ramblings. They are testament to your journey. When you take the time to commit your thoughts to paper, you immortalize yourself, and you allow others to share that journey. There will undoubtedly be people who will suffer and survive the same tragedy as you did. Those potential readers, knowing that you write from the same place where they may sit, will read your story for the courage and perseverance with which you so effectively conveyed to us here.

Peace.

13. B_sugarandspice

I mean I need help with making complete sentences.

Where to start a new paragraph.

How to stop repeating myself/rambling/ranting.

Maybe excersize will calm me down so I don't have so much hyper rambling?

I am very hyper but people are fast talkers and never shut up where I am from. It looks like I might want to tone that down for a forum.

Does that make sense?

It's really hard for me .I think I'm going to have to get a tutor.

14. B_sugarandspice

15. D_Ambrose Groundnpound

D_Ambrose Groundnpound Account Disabled

I think you hit it right on when you spoke of people writing like they speak, known as conversational writing. At times this is fine but I think you are looking for help in a more classic format. I applaud you for looking to better yourself in this regard. Writing is fast becoming a lost art. Today we are forced to write in bursts (email, blogs, forums like the one I am posting, etc.) that we have all just gotten lazy. Whether in grammer or spelling the art of writing is long becoming a lost one. Don't get too down on yourself in regards to blogging. By nature, blogging is an instantaneous reflection of your thoughts. My suggestions for improving in the more classical sense are these:

-Use spell check (technology is your friend)
    -When in doubt, a dictionary and/or thesaurus is a tremendous tool (dictionary.com) or go the old fashion route and have a hard copy on your desk
    -Old text books are a wonderful idea
    -Re-read your work (at a later date as earlier suggested is a great technique). Critique yourself.
    -Words are powerful. Try to learn new ones every day or week and work them into your conversations. If you hear someone say a word (or write one) that you don't know do not let embarassment stop you from either asking them what it means or looking it up later.

Good luck.

16. B_sugarandspice

Thanks,Fl.guy

17. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I totally agree with reading Strunk & White, it is a tiny text, but will help you learn how to be more concise. Also, how to write directly, ending the use of "more" "to be", or too broad terms, like "everyone" or "all".

Words Fail Me by O'Connor is also good as a writer's reference.

Ultimately, I think you'll find writing classes the most beneficial, because the feedback is valuable.

Draft saved Draft deleted