crossover %

kindred spirit

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Lets look into this % bi catagory, what is 1-%10 mild interest, 10-%20 feels good to share something together and ok to somewhat touch? 20-%30 more direct touch but very occasional, life revolves around the opposite sex.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I treat as something that's amusing to fill out and perhaps a conversation piece. Someone at either extreme (90%+ gay/90%+ straight) I regard as being basically gay or straight, respectively.

There was a previous thread on this topic and I think everyone had a different rationale for how they chose their %ages. In general, I think it's impossible to assign a number to one's sexuality, which is a subjective thing.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Also, although mine hasn't, I think it's possible for people's percentages to change over time (I'm not talking about just admitting your true feelings). Have people experienced this?

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
rob_just_rob said:
I treat as something that's amusing to fill out and perhaps a conversation piece.

Indeed. It's been more of a conversation starter than anything else. Responding "unsure" is particularly fascinating because it’s amusing to watch as people try to label you one thing or another. :rolleyes:

matthew said:
Have people experienced this?
Well as I go on, my increased understanding of sexuality helps me to understand more about how it applies to my life, personally. Therefore, I guess in the broadest sense, yes.

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree with rob as most people apply different definitions to the varying percentages. For instance, some guys have had sex with other guys and still hold a 90% Straight - 10% Gay ratio. To me that's a bit out of proportion (especially if it was beyond just doing it as an experiment and never doing it again). However, some people would see that as something that would completely fit them.

Personally, I'm at 99/1. Do I feel that this fits me? Not really. Sometimes I feel more strongly towards one side than the other, but it's a general baseline to work from. It's really a tough matter to define, but I'm an engineer that likes having clear cut answers...so I figured I might as well put something out there. :smile:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Altairion said:
I agree with rob as most people apply different definitions to the varying percentages. For instance, some guys have had sex with other guys and still hold a 90% Straight - 10% Gay ratio. To me that's a bit out of proportion (especially if it was beyond just doing it as an experiment and never doing it again). However, some people would see that as something that would completely fit them.

I'm probably the gayest 99/1 on here then :tongue:

twistedwrister

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i look at my percentages like this. i am straight, i like women and could never have sex with a guy. however i don't believe it is possible to 100% one way or the other. therefore, along with my appreciation for all human bodies, i am at least 1% gay.

~twisted

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Never got into the percentage thing....I consider myself pretty much straight most of the times....But from time to time I really find a weird attraction towards a guy and rarely act on it....Most of the times we just become very good friends....But noadays I think a lot of straight guys are more comfortable with their sexualities and more comfortable with getting close to their guy friends....My straight friends grope and grab each other in sexual ways and make very complimentary comments about each other and their anatomies....I think it is kind of cool personally that we all can be ourselves with out judgement....

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I recently contributed to another thread on a similar topic, which got me thinking about bisexuality quite a bit. While I agree with Rob_Just_Rob that sexuality can’t be reduced to a number, it is still worthwhile trying to look into the whole bi-sexual thing as Kindred Spirit proposes. Or at least here is why I think so:

Most uni-sexuals, straight or gay, imagine that bi-sexuals are folks who do what they do, only to everybody instead of just one gender. More and more, though, research suggests that bi-sexuals actually have two, usually very different, sexual modes going on simultaneously. They overwhelmingly tend to establish monogamous (or serially monogamous) bonds with someone of one sex while maintaining a much more casual, short-term, and promiscuous set of relationships with the other.

Once you’ve got their percentages, a good question, if you want to get into it, Kindred Spirit, is “What is the nature of your bisexuality?” I’d been mulling this over since my post in the other thread, and over the course of a week I’ve been polling the small sample (four people) whom I know well enough to know that they identify themselves as bi-sexual, and whom I could ask for confidential details.

The results, if you ask me, are pretty weird. The first man, with whom I had a brief fling many years ago btw, is now married. He said that he would choose 50%-50%, and then proceeded to tell me that he actually has not had sex with a man since he was married almost fifteen years ago now. But before that his relationships were exclusively with men - lots and lots of men. He said that he figures he had been promiscuously homosexual for fifteen years more or less, and now is monogamously heterosexual also for fifteen years. Where I’d say that his current percentage is 90+ straight, he thinks he is half and half, because he is averaging out his whole life. (This is an example of what Matthew was suggesting in his post, that things can and do change sometimes.)

The second man I know said that he is a 70%-30% favoring straight, but he had a really hard time deciding how to figure out his percentage. He is also married and says that he has a happy sex life with his wife. On fairly rare occasions he gets an itch, however, and slips off to the baths for a wild day having as much sex as he can with as many men as he can while there. He couldn’t decide if the percentages should be based on the number of times he had sex with men compared to the number of times he has sex with his wife, or the amount of clock time he spends in each mode. In the end he decided on the latter, but confessed due to the prodigiousness of his sex life at the baths the percentages would be exactly the opposite if he just counted how many times he had male-male sex vs. how many times he slept with his wife.

Third man is in a committed gay relationship, but without the knowledge of his partner, has had several heterosexual affairs in the half dozen years I have known him. He was pretty blunt, saying that sometime he “just likes pussy.” He usually bottoms for his homosexual partner, but claims to be aggressively dominant in his heterosexual mode. He said he’d probably say he was 80% gay – 20% straight.

Finally, I have a friend who is a lesbian in a long-term relationship and raising children with her partner. She travels a lot professionally, while the partner is the stay-at-home mother. With her partner’s knowledge she has several male fuck buddies, which she indulges only when on the road. She tells me she is closer to 60% gay – 40% straight. (It probably complicates things that I also know her partner well, who confidentially tells me that their sex life together is more or less over and has been for some time.)

What weirds me out most about this is that I’d say two of these people aren’t bisexual at all anymore, in my terms. The other two conform to the research and have such different kinds of sex lives with the two different genders that it is hard to compare them.

Though I won’t go into detail, my own sex life is similarly complicated, and my percentages are (at best) some kind of stab at placing myself on the spectrum.

Bisexuality is not well understood in general, and in a forum like this where people are trying hard to be open-minded, the situation sometimes gets even blurrier because of the lack of good definitions. I’m all for Kindred Spirit’s efforts, however, because we might all learn something.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Very interesting....That is why I do not like to put percentages on my sexuality....I mostly feel heterosexual but sometimes I do get attracted to a male....Funny until recently, I had not hooked up with a guy in like 3 years....Funny hooking up with this guy was not planned....I actually was trying to hook up with his girlfriend with his knowledge (he wanted to watch)....But I soon realized that his girlfriend was upset and soon let it slip that one of her boyfriend's fantasy was hooking up with a guy like me and when she would go to the bathroom, he made that very clear and we kind of hooked up twice when she was out of town....Weird thing is that I was comfortable with everything I was doing but found myself thinking of women when I was in the act....I might have thought about a guy once while with a woman....