Crying after sex?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Bacchusbigboy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Bacchusbigboy

Bacchusbigboy New Member

Albums:
    Below is an article cut-and-paste from the Sydney Morning Herald. Just wondering if woman here have post-coital dysphori? My current girl friend is a passionate woman and cry often after sex and it seem the better the sex the more she cries.

A third of all women have experienced post-sex blues at some point, a study shows, but researchers still don't understand why.
    The period immediately after sex normally results in feelings of well-being, and mental and physical relaxation. But the study of more than 200 young women reveals many have experienced the reverse, including feelings of melancholy, anxiety and tearfulness.
    Queensland University of Technology Associate Professor Robert Schweitzer, who carried out the research, said 32.9 per cent of respondents had experienced the phenomenon at some point. That was despite the sex being otherwise satisfactory.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    Professor Schweitzer said the cause of such negative feelings was unknown - but it was clear women wanted more information about the phenomenon. ''Research on the prevalence and causes of post-coital dysphoria has been virtually silent but internet searches reveal information on the subject is widely sought,'' he said.
    ''It has generally been thought that women who have experienced sexual abuse associate later sexual encounters with the trauma of the abuse along with sensations of shame, guilt, punishment and loss.
    ''This association is then purported to lead to sexual problems and the avoidance of sex.''
    But Professor Schweitzer said his study had found only limited correlation between sexual abuse and postcoital dysphoria.
    ''Psychological distress was also found to be only modestly associated with post-coital dysphoria,'' he said. ''This suggests other factors such as biological predisposition may be more important in understanding the phenomenon and identifying women at risk of experiencing post-coital dysphoria.''
    The next stage of Professor Schweitzer's research will look at emotional characteristics of women who experience post-sex blues.
    ''I want to look at how women view their 'sense of self'. Whether they are fragile or whether they are strong women, and investigate whether this leads to their post-coital dysphoria,'' he said.
    The study, published in the International Journal of Sexual Health, was co-written by Professor Schweitzer, postgraduate psychology researcher Brian Bird and the University of Utah's Professor Donald Strassberg.
    (Source Post sex blues affect up to a third of women, study finds)

So is it a third of all woman?

2. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I for one do not think it is a sign of distress, any more than at a wedding. For more, do a search of the threads here for crying. This comes up quite a bit.

3. D_Crystallized Ginger

my gf always cries after a very good fuck! I know I fucked her very well when she cries after...

4. luka82

Gold Member

What?

5. D_Crystallized Ginger

what's the part you don't understand?

6. luka82

Gold Member

The WHY part?

7. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's the same reason you cry at a movie, Luka. It's Touching. :love:

8. D_Crystallized Ginger

thanks for supporting me! :biggrin1:

9. luka82

Gold Member

K, happens once in a while! :wink:
    But tbh, I have never cried after sex because it was touching. Idk, this is a strange concept for me :smile:

10. B_Anita Dick

B_Anita Dick New Member

What! You're crying?! There's no crying in baseball!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

11. D_Crystallized Ginger

are u a female?? I think that crying after sex is a only female issue...

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

That article isn't about 'crying after sex'. It is about women who have 'feelings of melancholy, anxiety and tearfulness' after sex. This is not the same thing. I have cried after sex - it's a positive, happy, joyful crying - I'm not melancholy, nor anxious. I'm elated and overcome with emotion. I'm also not what I would call tearful - I burst out crying, it stops. 'Tearful', to me, is an ongoing feeling of a need to cry whether one is actually shedding tears or not. I do get tearful from time to time - but not after sex.

I know many other women who've expressed that they have had similar 'elated crying' experiences. I've known a few men report this too, though I have never witnessed it.

I have had no one, male or female, tell me about feelings of melancholy, anxiety or tearfulness after sex - that is not to say I don't believe that 1/3 or women may have experienced that at one time or another - just that they have never talked about it to me.

13. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I am one of those who have cried after sex. I don't do it all the time; in fact, hardly at all, but I have. And for different reasons. I've felt the melancholy and depression after sex, but never after a climax. And that's probably the main distinction. My first husband was not the most caring or passionate man. I knew he loved me, but it was very different when having sex.

I have cried after "a good fuck," as Mystic Wolf put it, but surely not from a feeling of melancholy. I can't explain it, it's like the altitude is so high that my eyes tear up.

It's not a boo hoo cry, mind you. More of a Holy Crap cry. Does that even make sense?

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

You are wrong.

Or my male friends lie to me.

But probably you are wrong :smile:

15. luka82

Gold Member

I can be whatever you like. :wink:
    But the last time I checked I still had a dick :biggrin1:

16. BabyD_CckLvr

BabyD_CckLvr New Member

I have never heard of women experiencing this, nor have I ever myself. I have of course experienced the elated crying after a really good fuck. But never have I felt melancholy. I feel like 1/3 of all women is a pretty large number.

17. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can imagine crying out of frustration if it was truly horrible and uncaring sex. Maybe that's what happened to these poor survey women. :sad:

18. D_Crystallized Ginger

exactly..my gf told me she couldn't "bear" that "altitude" and cried... btw she is the only girl who cries with me out of 8 girls I fucked with... I think it depends on love too... and on the big intimacy we have, the other girls were mainly one night stands... also it didn't happen early in our relationship but after half a year or so and it was amazing (I reckon that was a super fuck!!!)

19. Bacchusbigboy

Bacchusbigboy New Member

Albums:
    Yes I thought 30% of woman feeling melancholy after sex was high. Is is something woman discuss?

20. BabyD_CckLvr

BabyD_CckLvr New Member

No, most women do not talk about issues like this. This is why I joined this site. All of my girlfriends clam up about sex details and any sort of difficulties that arise. Unless it is something they can "blame" on the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted