Cuba: Changing of the Guard?

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I dunno, the celebrations in Florida could result in a backlash in Cuba, slowing the changeover there to some kind of democracy.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
naughty said:
I saw on MSN last night that Fidel Castro has turned over power to his brother, Raul because of failing health. Do you all think this is the beginning of the end?

Well, it's hard to say, naughty.
If he recovers well, then he might carry on for several years.
Many people assume that he must be in terrible shape, if he's willing to turn over power after 47 years.
Of course, that's possible.
But Castro, in a lot of ways, is very rational, IMHO.
Even if he turns over power, I can't imagine that he's not still really the one pulling the strings, assuming he's still lucid.
Meanwhile, the official turning over of power now will ease the transition to a post-Castro era if he does happen to die in the next few days or weeks.
And I think Castro, whose greatest fear is the overturn of the revolution after he's gone, would care deeply to see that transition as smooth as possible.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ORCABOMBER said:
Well, regardless, he'll be the ultimate FUCK YOU to American Imperialism for decades to come.

Nice to know that CIA assasins are being made unemployed even as I speak.

On the former, no doubt.

On the latter, you're kidding surely, brother Raul is likely to be even worse for Cuba than Fidel. I've not been in Cuba for just over five years but from what I hear from friends there in many ways they would prefer Fidel.:eek: :rolleyes:

I had great respect for Fidel but in the last 10 years that has all but gone. As he should also be.

Sam1070

Experimental Member
Media
The United States should have normalized diplomatic relations with Cuba years ago. I would like to travel freely to Cuba from the US with a USA passport, and not be considered a criminal having done so.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sam1070 said:
The United States should have normalized diplomatic relations with Cuba years ago. I would like to travel freely to Cuba from the US with a USA passport, and not be considered a criminal having done so.

Indeed. It's an excellent example of denial of freedom from the land of the free.:rolleyes:

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey Ocrabomber, what's the ultimate Fuck-you to Brittish imperialism?
...The United States of America?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MattBrick said:

Nah, we got rid of the rabble early on and held on to the worthwhile stuff as long as possible.:tongue:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
rawbone8 said:
Tsk tsk my dear rubirosa. The Falking Falklands.:rolleyes:

And she falked them, right, rawbone?
But it was a few rocks in the Atlantic.
The Brits kept Canada for nearly a century longer than the States -- and if you take the Statute of Westminister as the real point of severance (and you could take points even later), more than a century and a half.
Or do I forget my Canadian history?
But I'm being stupid.
Britain held on to lots of places till the mid point of the 20th Century. And still holds on to more than a few.
Much later.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
senor rubirosa said:
And she falked them, right, rawbone?
But it was a few rocks in the Atlantic.
The Brits kept Canada for nearly a century longer than the States -- and if you take the Statute of Westminister as the real point of severance (and you could take points even later), more than a century and a half.
Or do I forget my Canadian history?
But I'm being stupid.
Britain held on to lots of places till the mid point of the 20th Century. And still holds on to more than a few.
Much later.

Quite so Rubi. We didn't have a Canadian-born Governor General appointed until Vincent Massey in 1952. And our Constitution was FINALLY repatriated in 1981.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Canada has maintained various relationships with Cuba, although these clearly irritate the US. The transition happening now will be perhaps be a last gasp of the revolution. The Cubans I've met in Toronto look forward to it happening without a violent struggle.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rawbone8 said:
Canada has maintained various relationships with Cuba, although these clearly irritate the US. The transition happening now will be perhaps be a last gasp of the revolution. The Cubans I've met in Toronto look forward to it happening without a violent struggle.

Rawbone, with Raul being so old I hope you're right. Cubans have seen enough shit already.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I wonder what DMW would have to say on the matter? :rolleyes:

Anyway, supposedly Castro's appointment of his brother to power is just a temporary thing while he's in the hospital. The question is how truthful the Cuban government and media are in reporting the seriousness of his condition. I've heard that Cubans in Miami are celebrating, but the sad fact remains that Cuba is still being run by a Castro.

Andresito

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
We're going to watch a interesting change in the way of making politics in Cuba.

I don't think that the communist goverment is going to fall, but there will be changes.

According to some philosophers, every thing in the history repeats at least once, maybe the "death" (is still alive) of Fidel will be the american version of the death of Stalin.

Anyway, cheers for him.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
MattBrick said:
Well, some of "my kind" were slaughtered during WW2 as all slaves were, for the British empire, and now, their decendants are being slaughtered yet again for the American Empire.

I'd almost think that colonialism was genetic with the way you people act. :p