cultures and nakedness: different habits

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by effedi7, May 14, 2008.

1. effedi7

effedi7 New Member

Hi all, I've always found very interesting the different habits and attitudes about nakedness while travelling. It happened to me to find swimming pools where it was forbidden showering in the nude, others where naked people didn't close the stalls' door, beaches where naked and clothed people were near, others where you could go only if naked; I was hosted by Finnish people who asked me to share sauna with them (in the nude). To make the story short, I got an impression of more open attitude in the Scandinavian countries, while in Paris and Milan the things are different. To be honest, I found Spain and Greece very liberal at the beaches, even if they are Southern European countries. When I was in Ireland I was involved in a chat at the pub urinals by people beside me that I didn't know and it was very funny, as they were completely natural and spontaneous. It would be nice to hear about your experiences and what impressed you in your trips, mainly about hosts and guests that you had. I hope this thread will host a lot of posts.

bye

2. Dareios

Dareios New Member

Albums:
    Different countries, different cultures look at nakedness in a different way. What you said about Greece and Spain, is totally true. I have been laying on the beach nude amidst of dressed people, nobody cares. I remember at Rhodes that the police would even walk by on the beach. I was going like : "O shit" yet they passed by and did not even take as much as a look.
    When I was living in the Near East (lived there for about 5 years) , however, it was a completely different cup of tea. A Arab family where I often stayed had four sons, all younger then me. With at least one of them I was very close. We even went as far as bathing together a few times, except.... bathing together meant keeping your underwear on.
    Of course, once wet, the underwear revealed as much of his family jewels as he would have been without underwear. It thought it was quite erotic actually.
    With this other Arab guys

3. Dareios

Dareios New Member

Albums:
    Sorry, hit the wrong button ..... :(

With this other Arab guy, I used to go to the swimming pool, where we changed in a large changing room. He had absolutely no probs standing nude with other guys. Yet, my best friend ever, also an Arab, is somebody I have never seen nude. When he changed he either turned away with his ass toward me or he wrapped himself into a bundle of towels....
    I myself do not have any problems being nude.

Yet, I remember as a schoolboy being around 13, we were as prude. At school, a Catholic school, when changing into our swimwear or after swimming changing into our normal clothes once again, we also had a bundle of towels around our midst. It was actually quite difficult to change. It was hilarious if one of the guys would loose his towel or if it could be pulled off.
    A year later, I went to a state school. Great was my astonishment when we went swimming for the first time. Everybody was talking down their clothes, no towels to be seen in the distance. After swimming, everybody was whiping himself dry but ... no towel around the hips when changing.
    I often got a hard one when changing, especially as there were some guys which I thought were really hot. Took me at least two years before I did not get a booner asap, not that I cared about it.

4. Dorondir

Dorondir New Member

Here in Germany you have something in between, you can mostly choose. Nobody will have a problem with a guy showering naked after he has been swimming (as long as you use the right shower - not in the open). In a Sauna nobody will press you to wear swimwear; but be sure about the day of the week. Men and women do have extra days. On some days they are even mixed. And if you feel like running around naked, then search for FKK-areas. You won't be allowed to wear any more than a bag.

Have fun!

5. B_The Greek Dude

B_The Greek Dude New Member

Basically, America is the only major country in the world that views the human body as something filthy and wrong that should be covered at all times; we were founded by a group of fanatical Puritans that were kicked out of Britain, because they wanted to force their religious views on everybody else.

In other countries, it's understood that there's a proper time and place to be naked, and that if someone sees you during this time it's usually not that big of a deal. When in the proper context, nudity usually isn't censored on international television the way it always is here (oh my god! cover up those nipples!!).

6. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As one of the older member here, being naked in the high school locker room and showers in gym class was part of the deal and we never thought anything of it. Anyone who would have been excessively modest and tried to change under a towel would have been laughed at and tormented. The best way to blend in was to do as everyone else did. Apparently, that's changed since my high school days. Now kids don't take showers because they are afraid to be seen naked (?). To me, that's gross. How could someone go the rest of the day sweaty and smelly?

There is a nude beach about 7 miles from my home called Black's Beach. I'm not the most handsome, fit guy in the world, but I have no problem taking it all off when I go there. The funny thing is it's not really an ultra turn on for me; it's more of a relaxed feeling of "I'm free!" I just don't see why people make such a big deal about being naked when in the right situation.

7. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

Britain is fairly similar to the US in this regard, except perhaps that topless sunbathing is OK, though many women will keep their bikini tops on in Britain and take them off when on holiday abroad.

Draft saved Draft deleted